Going back in after a miss

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Silverback6

Going back in after a miss

Unread postby Silverback6 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:35 am

I missed a big doe last night, arrow went right over her back. It was a tight shooting lane with a few branches I was worried about. I'm on doe patrol because I was selected for a special muzzleloader hunt later this year in a place with some monster bucks. I have hunted that general area 3 times the doe was down wind of me but didn't seem to care. Can I go back in there on the same tree or is that area pretty much done? If you guys miss how long do you wait until you go back in there or if you go in there at all?

Ruger

Re: Going back in after a miss

Unread postby Ruger » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:54 am

I'd get in a different tree if possible.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:57 am

I think you never know for sure. The only way to know is to hunt her again.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:12 am

Stan is correct in "you never know"... I shot the same buck thru the chest twice in the same spot once... Most are gone for good, but some are not...

I would like to comment though on your thoughts about why your doe hunting... Personally, I would be seeking bucks whether a big hunt in a great place was coming up or not. Season is short, don't put all your eggs in one basket... I would consider being more picky with a big hunt coming up. But there are a few huge bucks everywhere, and you can always shoot a doe when one shows up looking for Bullwinkle.
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:30 am

dan wrote: I would like to comment though on your thoughts about why your doe hunting... Personally, I would be seeking bucks whether a big hunt in a great place was coming up or not. Season is short, don't put all your eggs in one basket... I would consider being more picky with a big hunt coming up. But there are a few huge bucks everywhere, and you can always shoot a doe when one shows up looking for Bullwinkle.

Great advise Dan.
Silverback6

Unread postby Silverback6 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:33 am

dan wrote: I would like to comment though on your thoughts about why your doe hunting... Personally, I would be seeking bucks whether a big hunt in a great place was coming up or not. Season is short, don't put all your eggs in one basket... I would consider being more picky with a big hunt coming up. But there are a few huge bucks everywhere, and you can always shoot a doe when one shows up looking for Bullwinkle.

Solid advice Dan, Thanks. I won't pass on a huge buck because of this hunt coming up, but I deffinatly will be picky. In MN you can only shoot 1 buck a year and I don't want to waist it on a young buck, but I can take multiple does. I'm waiting on the right wind to go set up in an area I think the big ones are. I didn't get a chance to scout beast style this year but I'm looking forward to getting out next spring to find some big buck beds. I have seen some huge tracks in some mud so I know they are out there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”