What camouflage do you guys wear?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HELENVILLEHUNTER

What camouflage do you guys wear?

Unread postby HELENVILLEHUNTER » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:57 pm

I know this has been posted before but I just wanted to get your opinions on the best camouflage out there for treestand hunting. I noticed last year that I was getting picked off in trees and then a trail camera got a picture of me coming in last year. I was suprised by two things in the picture. The extra 50 pounds that the camera adds and also to the color of my jacket. The jacket is at least 15 years old but I have taken good care of it and it is like my passafire out there. The colors still look great and nothing appears to be wrong with the jacket. However, in the picture the jacket looked white with no camo pattern at all. My pants which were $9.99 specials from Wal Mart still showed a good camo pattern. To the human eye the pants were more faded than the jacket. I am tempted to check all my hunting clothes by walking by a camera at night. So I guess I have two questions. Has anyone run into this before with their camo and what type of camo do you guys reccomend? Thanks for your help.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: What camouflage do you guys wear?

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:03 am

I am loving my Enigma... Early season I also really liked military surplus camo. That stuff blends better than most commercial stuff if your in good cover.
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:16 am

The age of the camo wont matter in terms of walking by the cam at night. I have had the same results with new and old camo. Not sure why it looks white under the cover of dark on a trail cam.

This thread may be of use to you.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32116
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:58 am

I normally pay zero attention to camo, but this year I am doing lots of scouting with stand on back, since I have no idea beforehand what type of cover will be available I strap my ASAT 3d leafy jacket to my stand. I really do feel it helps.

I was wearing the full ASAT 3d suit while still-hunting last year, I was crouched next to a big oak tree with absolutely no other cover around me and 3 hens walked by me at 30 yards and never gave me a second look. That absolutely doesn't happen with most camo FWIW. I have always heard about ASAT/Predator/Enigma open type patterns working very well, but that blew my mind.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:02 am

Also a fan of the open patterns (enigma, asat, predator). Predator fall gray is amazing when the leaves are down.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:34 am

I've been a big fan of Kuiu the past few years. The patterns are good with a solid breakup IMO, but the killer feature for me is the fit and finish. Everything feels fitted to me. I still use some of my old camo and it just feels terrible wearing it, sloppy, baggy, coarse materials, etc.

It's not cheap stuff, but the old adage applies. You get what you pay for. I've been buying a few components every year and slowly building it up.
deereload

Unread postby deereload » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:45 am

scent blocker leafy in the beginning of season , scent blocker outfitter in middle of season and when all leaves are down - scent lock vertigo
VA-BowHunter

Unread postby VA-BowHunter » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:56 am

Early season - woodland camo since the trees haven't really started changing yet in my area. Mid season - Mossy Oak Infinity Breakup. Finally when all the leaves have fallen, go way old school with my Treebark camo.
-Matt
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:23 am

I am a fan of whatever camo happens to be the most economical. In my opinion the camo industry is as full of gimmicks as the scent control industry....Most of my gear is military surplus and the old tri-color BDU camo pattern. Sit still and set up correctly, cover up shiny face and hands. That will do the trick 99% of the time.

Breaking up your outline as best as possible is 100 times more important than camo pattern. I even use that stuff while setting up on the ground although a ghillie can give you a little margin of error if you are out in the open. I do use a ghillie for turkeys.

In the snow you can't go wrong with plain whites. No snow camo pattern necessary. You can buy cheap whites in military surplus. I love that late season.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:10 am

Most of the time I wear military camo also. I have a set of woodland BDU's and a couple sets of marine digital. I also have some ASAT and Predator fall grey. I like the bigger patterns.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:21 am

bdu's, then when it gets cold I wear some wool pants from cabelas, and a wool jacket
Ravenhunter

Unread postby Ravenhunter » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:58 am

Predator fall brown (early season deer and fall bear) switch to Sitka fanatic series bib and jacket(once temps drop). Not that i think the pattern makes a difference. All my clothing choice is based on weather. Sitka gear is awesome when it gets really cold. The predator gear i have breaths for when its warmer out.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Longbow with a pointy stick
Hunting is Conservation
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:59 am

I got all kinds of Camo. I usually get something for B-day/Christmas every year so I am building quite the collection. But what I wear depends on what I pull out from the bin. Hard to beat BDU's though. I still have a lot of bottoms from my days in the Army. I do have a leafy suit top that stays in my pack. If I can't find the ideal cover i will throw it on. Really does seem to help.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:03 am

Most of the time predator but I have a collection of others for different scenarios

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:04 am

I wear ASAT and I've been very pleased with the experiences I've had.

I also wear a non-reflective/non-shiny fabric.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”