Swhacker Broadheads

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Swhacker Broadheads

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:27 pm

What do you guys think of these broadheads? I'm trying two blade.

muddy

Re: Swhacker Broadheads

Unread postby muddy » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:32 pm

Big cut big holes do the job but Hack Parker endorses them so I personally won't buy them

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:34 pm

muddy wrote:Big cut big holes do the job but Hack Parker endorses them so I personally won't buy them

My biggest concern is how they cut with a quartering shot. I heard rage can deflect on angles and saw it myself last year so I switched.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:38 pm

I tracked a deer shot by a swacker, it left a pretty weak blood trail but we found the buck roughly 80 yards away. Double lung shot out of a 70lb 27" draw bow they left a decent hole but the blood trail left more to be desired.

Same rig, tracked a doe shoulder shot under 20 yards found 1 drop of blood within 500 yards. We never found the deer after hours of searching so we assumed that she lived, since there was almost no blood to be found. As with any mech broadhead and a shoulder shot you really can't expect much penetration wise.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:39 pm

Bucky speaks highly of them.

That angle argument toward mechanicals doesn't hold a lot of water in my house. I've had the same thing happen with 3 blade muzzys.

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:45 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:Bucky speaks highly of them.

That angle argument toward mechanicals doesn't hold a lot of water in my house. I've had the same thing happen with 3 blade muzzys.

Bucky is a great hunter in my book so it's good to hear that. I've never heard of a fixed deflecting. Thanks fir sharing.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:49 pm

One of my first losses was the dreaded arm pit shot on a quartering animal. Two blade bear razorhead on that one. Shot placement fixes most of these issues.

blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:57 pm

Granted it was on TV but saw them shot at steep angles into plywood. They say they do great at quartering angles. I've thought about trying them.

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:23 pm

They are killers. Fly excellent and penetrate better than rages in my opinion. I killed a doe last year at 40 yds and got a clean pass through the ribcage. Double lung towards the backside of the lungs. Found arrow right where she was standing covered in red blood. Did not have much of a blood starting off but there was a lot in the immediate area where she died 60-70 yds away. If I could get photobucket working id load a pic.

Those rages really open them up and paint the ground red. I just did not have many pass throughs with them and thought a lot of kinetic energy opening up so wide. This season I'm gonna carry 2 slick tricks, 2 shwackers and a rage. If I am hunting where I only have closer shots I want to try my slick tricks. If I have a longer shots 40-45 yd shot I will want my shwackers.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:34 pm

I think the thing that seperates shwackers from rages is how they work. Rages open outside of the deers hide, losing momentum but causing horrific damage. The point of the shwackers enters the cavity then the two outside blades catch and open inside the deer. They are a bit different in the way they work, IMO.

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:50 pm

Here's that pic this is the only one I've got but that's a shwacker entry. The rages are devastating and open up wider and leave a better blood trail. I would bet on shwackers flying better and penetration better than rages. This is my opinion from what testing I've tried.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:48 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:One of my first losses was the dreaded arm pit shot on a quartering animal. Two blade bear razorhead on that one. Shot placement fixes most of these issues.

Bass to me that sounds like just hitting the deer in the wrong spot, not a deflection - or was that not the situation you were talking about. The only deflections I have had with fixed blade broad heads were a result of ferrules bending on impact of near side bone - i.e. cheap azz weak ferrules.

As to the shwacker it seems like it is getting a lot of hype lately. My older brother is trying them so I will have some second results after that.
Hit them in the right spot I am sure they do well. Hit them in the shoulder I am sure they do terrible - typical big cutting diameter broad head results.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:58 pm

there is no shot we take that is ever the exact same. I think you need to shoot at least 5 to 10 animals with the head to make a decision. I think all broadheads work if we do our job. some may be a little better than others though.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:31 am

Schwackers open same as GrimReapers, so they'll work. I've used GRs and Rage days apart and found no real noticeable difference in how they performed, both arrows buried into the dirt after a pass thru. Schwackers will work, even on a steep angle if shot placement is good and the animal isn't moving.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:39 am

JoeRE wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:One of my first losses was the dreaded arm pit shot on a quartering animal. Two blade bear razorhead on that one. Shot placement fixes most of these issues.

Bass to me that sounds like just hitting the deer in the wrong spot, not a deflection - or was that not the situation you were talking about. The only deflections I have had with fixed blade broad heads were a result of ferrules bending on impact of near side bone - i.e. cheap azz weak ferrules.

As to the shwacker it seems like it is getting a lot of hype lately. My older brother is trying them so I will have some second results after that.
Hit them in the right spot I am sure they do well. Hit them in the shoulder I am sure they do terrible - typical big cutting diameter broad head results.

It was definitely slid along the ribs. It was verified by necropsy a couple weeks later when the neighbor harvested the buck. No bent ferrule. Those old bear heads rarely bent at the ferrule. Usually at the tip.

I do wonder if higher powered equipment would have helped back then. I was shooting about 45 lbs shooting instintive.

Just throwing my experiences out there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”