my 50 yrs of deer hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WEEGEE

my 50 yrs of deer hunting

Unread postby WEEGEE » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:42 pm

I've been asked for my profile by several members on here.
not really know how to start,to tell my story but I'll give it a try. I'd rather set beside a campfire and do this.
i made my first bow @ 6 yrs old it was made out of a willow stick and willow arrows. i shot cardboard boxes and cans.
at 12yrs old i got a fiberglass bow and real wooden arrows. i learned how to put a nail in the end of an arrow,and then i could shoot at birds and mice ,anything that would stand still. by the time i was a young teenager i was able to shoot, purple martens off a 60'tv tower. the fascination of an arrow in flight was just amazing to me.
at the sweet old age of 16 i got my first real recurve, and fred bear cedar arrows...look out,now i was a real predator.
i would carry that bow, hunting rabbits when others had shotguns. disadvantage? yeah but i got my share.

in the late 60's there were very few deer in this part of ohio.one day a school bus driver saw one crossing the road and told everyone.he ran into.that evening a crowd was gathered there looking at the deer's tracks. i think there's where it started with my desires to "catch" one of those things. i bought one of the first model t jennings bows on the market and started my journey,of deer hunting.
shot my first buck standing in an old apple tree 5'off the ground. when i tracked him down,i let out a yell you could have heard a mile away.

i never put the bow down. i kept shooting and going on different hunts. when pse came on the market i bought one of pete's recurve wheeled bows and off i go again.i have never owned another brand except pse ever since. when the mach iv with overdraw hit the market i had to have it and many did i get. i started to shoot at local shoots and was labeled a cheeter when i turned in my score cards. so one day a buddy of mine went with me, and the local club told us that the vp of the club wanted to go with us, and keep score. when both of us cleaned the course,at the end, he got on top of a table and had the club gather around.
he said he just witnessed an exhibition archery shoot by these two guys. these guys where shooting each other's nocks at every target. targets i was lucky to even hit they were calling where their arrows were going to hit. 24/7 will do that for you.
i then started to go to other state shoots and follow the ibo and every weekend traveling to a shoot somewhere. i shot arrow for arrow with the best, of the best ,at one time or another. met so many really good people doing the same thing i was doing.
Randy Ulmer and i was run off a target by a farmer with a shotgun one day in AL.

since that first buck i killed with that old recurve i'v killed over 400 in 6 different states and Canada. i learned real quick you couldn't kill them by hitting them anywhere with an arrow,and they were a tough critter to get. i have set many hrs watching and learning every aspect, of the whitetail deer. i live ,sleep, breath bow hunting deer. i still get excited when i see big bones walking through the woods and i hope i still can a few more yrs.

now days i go from forum to forum trying to help others in this ever changing bow hunting world,we live in.
but the challenge keeps going on...I'm getting older and the deer keep getting smarter. so many thoughts go through my mind writing this, i can't seem to concentrate on just one story so I'll stop.
thanks for your time and good luck on your quest this season,be safe!

close shot artist PSE AXE-PSE DNA
feutza
500 Club

Re: my 50 yrs of deer hunting

Unread postby feutza » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:01 pm

Thanks for sharing

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:39 pm

Well done sir! I agree with you...sounds like you'd be an honor to share a campfire with...

Thanx for sharing....don't be afraid to add another piece of the story as you see fit...if anyone story...tell it how you want too...over 400 deer with a bow...I bet you got a story or 2!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:24 pm

Great read - thank you!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:58 pm

Good read, you are among good company here....a lot of Beasts have grown up with hunting in their blood.

You mention deer keep getting smarter - I would argue that deer don't change but that the average hunter keeps getting dumber, more fooled by gimmicks :?
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:37 am

Thanks Weegee.

welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:25 am

Good read. Thanks for sharing.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:38 am

Good read WEEGEE, heck I still haven't made my own bow yet and I am 36 but plans are in the works. :lol:
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:49 am

:clap:
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:56 am

400 animals in fifty years. That's 8 deer a year with bow. You have spent alot of time in the woods and are someone we could learn from.

jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:01 am

Great read, thank you for sharing. I know how you feel about sharing pics of your bucks but having said that, after seeing your profile pic and knowing you killed about 400 others I would love to see some of them!

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:12 am

Great read. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
WEEGEE

Unread postby WEEGEE » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:49 am

jmaas07 wrote:Great read, thank you for sharing. I know how you feel about sharing pics of your bucks but having said that, after seeing your profile pic and knowing you killed about 400 others I would love to see some of them!

I'm sorta like Stanley on this issue..do i have bucks on the wall? you bet ,some of them are watching me write this right now.
the two that are in the corner fighting, are even watching. but what do they mean to me? each one has it's own story that only i know.
when i see others walls it really means nothing to me.it's a personal thing and wouldn't mean anything to anybody ,except the one who killed him. when I'm gone those mounts will more than likely be sold ,or gave away.they will have no meaning to others.
i don't walk around like a decorated major with my metals pinned on my jacket. a beautiful wall is only for the man that knows where and how each one got there. those walls are deceiving. i visited a big time lawyers office, that had nice mounts hung in it. i asked where and how he got them in less than 1 minute i could tell he either bought them or someone gave them to him. that guy couldn't tell a doe track from a buck track or a rub from a scrape,deceiving you bet! i know when i run into a real hunter by what comes out of his mouth,not what he has on the walls of his house.I'm sure some of you have seen the guy,at a shoot, with the patches, and all the decals plastered all over himself! look at me,look at me I'm not that guy...I'm the farm boy that has the older bow with the grip that has no paint left on it!
close shot artist PSE AXE-PSE DNA
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:57 am

Hey Weegee - Stan has treated us to his wall a few times - how 'bout it big guy ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”