Decisions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Slumpy

Decisions

Unread postby Slumpy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:37 am

So I have recently bought the lone wolf assault and sticks. I am hunting early next week out of state. The problem is I have not had time to even set it up yet. So do I take my trusty summit or do I attempt taking the lone wolf and set it up first time in the field? What say you?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

backstraps

Re: Decisions

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:43 am

I'd vote for the Summitt...ONLY reason I say that is because you're familiar with your climber.

It takes a little practice to become quiet and efficient with the Lone Wolf

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:47 am

I agree, but take both stands.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
tcop7
500 Club

Unread postby tcop7 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:50 am

backstraps wrote:I'd vote for the Summitt...ONLY reason I say that is because you're familiar with your climber.

It takes a little practice to become quiet and efficient with the Lone Wolf

X2. Good Luck!
[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]
Dutch

Unread postby Dutch » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:58 am

I'm new to the hang on (Alpha) set up. Had them for about a month. Definitely go with the summit. You need a reasonable amount of practice with your new set up before going out in the field. If I were in your shoes I would take my climber also.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:59 am

I would take the LW unless I know the exact trees I planned on climbing.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Buckbuster28
Facebook: Alex Slosser

Unread postby Buckbuster28 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:39 pm

I would defiantly take both....plan to use the summit that your familiar with but have the hang on just In case

cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:43 pm

Summit if less than four days. Both if 4+.

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:41 pm

I'd take both. If u got good trees you will do better with the summit cause you know how to use it and the LW takes practice.

But if the trees are terrible you will learn the LW on the fly by force

Make It Happen
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:43 pm

Lone wolf is the superior set up no doubt....but...I would not use a stand that is unfamiliar.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:47 pm

What state are you going to? I've yet to hunt an area that is suited for a climber. Limbs galore around here! ;)

I got an alpha not too long ago, and yes it is awkward setting it up at first. Unless you are setting up next to bedding where you know silence is key, I wouldn't be afraid to try the Lone Wolf.

Like Stanley said, bring both. Options are a good thing.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:49 pm

You have a week.....spend a little bit of time and get familiar with it!

I did with mine...I found it pretty dang user friendly...it'll take some time to get super stealthy and all that...but really setup isn't hard..I'd definitely practice a bit...and you have a week...sure you work and have a life but squeeze an hour in here n there and climb a couple trees...pull your bow up and shoot a few targets from it...I'm excited to be able to shoot sitting down! Couldn't do that from my Viper!

What happens if you get where you're going and find out ever tree in the woods has limbs 3 feet off the ground and a climber won't work?? You'll be glad you pack both and know how to use the lone wolf!

I still plan to pack the viper on camp trips...but I know mostly I will be using the lone wolf...

Razorhead

Unread postby Razorhead » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:15 pm

I would take both stands along and plan on taking some time not while hunting to familiarize myself with the LW stand. I would never consider hunting out of a stand until I have become familiar and comfortable with the operation of it. To me I just view it as a safety issue and I see myself taking less chances like this with every passing year.

He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my sole.
Slumpy

Unread postby Slumpy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:59 pm

Thanks guys for the responses. I'll take both and work on familiarizing myself with the lw.

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:41 am

I'm in a similar boat slumpy I have a brand new assault with sticks and haven't had much time to play with the assault. I've set it up twice in the daytime and feel better about it. I still plan on trying to make time to do a test run at night to see how safe, quiet, and quick I will be with it in the dark. I rigged mine to work for me. Added pipe insulation to the backpack straps with camo duct tape to make them comfortable enough to get me through the season till I decide on something better. I used an old camo sweat shirt cut to fit around the front of the stand with camo duct tape where the seat makes contact with the platform. I did all that before I took it out, I could tell it would rattle while walking. I added a bungee cord.

I'm also a huge fan of my summit viper. I'm always going to be sentimental about it. Opening morning I still may hunt my summit but plan to use lone wolf for afternoon hunts. I plan to have both stands in my truck all season long.

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”