Ozonics? For those that own one...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Ozonics? For those that own one...

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:15 am

If you own one, can you give your honest opinion of it? I'm still very skeptical of them, but I keep reading reviews ( cabelas, amazon, etc...), and they sure brag them up. Just wondering if anyone here has tried them, and do you honestly think they work... Thanks for your review!

JakeJD
500 Club

Re: Ozonics? For those that own one...

Unread postby JakeJD » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:43 am

I do not own one, but I am interested as well.

Of all the scent control stuff, I think ozonics is the only product that could actually work in theory. However, I just have a hard time imagining that the small amount of ozone emitted by the machine is enough to destroy all human odor in an open air environment. Just imagine all the twist, turns, and swirls in the air flow downwind of you.
"In the deed, the glory"
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:08 am

I own 3 Ozone machines (but they are not the super expensive Ozonics brand) I DO NOT take them into the woods as I don’t have faith in them working in a tree and I would not dare use one in a pop up blind as I have a high regard for personal preservation. The brand I use is sold by WhitetailR http://whitetailr.com/shop/ and I only use mine to deodorize my gear in my custom made Ozone closet. I posted the project in the DIY area.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=31344

I am very pleased with the ability of the O3 machine to eliminate odors completely.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:15 am

rancid crabtree wrote:I own 3 Ozone machines (but they are not the super expensive Ozonics brand) I DO NOT take them into the woods as I don’t have faith in them working in a tree and I would not dare use one in a pop up blind as I have a high regard for personal preservation. The brand I use is sold by WhitetailR http://whitetailr.com/shop/ and I only use mine to deodorize my gear in my custom made Ozone closet. I posted the project in the DIY area.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=31344

I am very pleased with the ability of the O3 machine to eliminate odors completely.

I actually bought one of those types of machines last year also, just to do my hunting clothes-gear. It definitely does take any stink out of them from sweating.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:55 am

I've been playing around with one a lot that last couple months. I'm not sold on it. I set it up in the backyard the other day upwind of where I expected deer to cross my back field. I set it just off a well used atv trail and stood on the atv to hang it. I went back to the house and observed with binoculars. About an hour and half later a doe and two fawns got downwind of the ozonics. The doe immediately locked up. Stomped for few minutes and eventually snorted and took off I can only conclude that the ozone smell was startling.

I plan to try something similar on an adjacent farm over the next couple of weeks.

I'd personally rather use activated carbon clothing in the woods.

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:57 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:I've been playing around with one a lot that last couple months. I'm not sold on it. I set it up in the backyard the other day upwind of where I expected deer to cross my back field. I set it just off a well used atv trail and stood on the atv to hang it. I went back to the house and observed with binoculars. About an hour and half later a doe and two fawns got downwind of the ozonics. The doe immediately locked up. Stomped for few minutes and eventually snorted and took off I can only conclude that the ozone smell was startling.

I plan to try something similar on an adjacent farm over the next couple of weeks.

Do you think she locked up like that because she got your scent, or maybe the odor of the Ozonics?

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:01 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:I've been playing around with one a lot that last couple months. I'm not sold on it. I set it up in the backyard the other day upwind of where I expected deer to cross my back field. I set it just off a well used atv trail and stood on the atv to hang it. I went back to the house and observed with binoculars. About an hour and half later a doe and two fawns got downwind of the ozonics. The doe immediately locked up. Stomped for few minutes and eventually snorted and took off I can only conclude that the ozone smell was startling.

Do you think she locked up like that because she got your scent, or maybe the odor of the Ozonics?

I ride this trail at least every other day with my son. We get out, pick berries, pick apples, chase grasshoppers, etc. The deer still come out every night. They are use to us. It was the ozone, no doubt.

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:09 am

Interesting..
jboswell
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.boswell.12

Unread postby jboswell » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:18 am

I've been running one for 3 years now. It really does seem to help, is it perfect? Heck no... some deer do smell the ozone, no doubt about it. In my experience most are curious about the smell, not very many snort / stomp and blow out, many just ease out of the area.

I still play the wind as much as my woodsmanship will allow, however, I do credit it with saving me from blowing deer out on many occasions over the last 3 seasons.

So many variables in the woods, who knows... the technology is proven, but the application is so wide open with variables...

Hopefully this keeps to a civil discussion :dance:
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:40 am

dreaming bucks wrote:Interesting..

Another thing to consider is perhaps it is a conditioned response. A wealthy MD owns the woods next to mine. I wouldnt be surprised if he is running one. Perhaps that doe is already conditioned to avoid ozone based on previous bad experiences smelling it? This is why I want to try it again.

Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:16 am

Playing the wind and staying mobile seems a lot cheaper...
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:17 am

Sam Ubl wrote:Playing the wind and staying mobile seems a lot cheaper...

I agree, but I'm looking for results of guys that have used them.

I hunt strictly hill country, with consistent swirling winds... Just looking at possible options.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:30 am

I about fell out of my chair when I found out how much they were getting for those Ozonics units.

You could probably build one for about $30.00.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:35 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:I about fell out of my chair when I found out how much they were getting for those Ozonics units.

You could probably build one for about $30.00.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

If you want to build me one for $50, I'll buy it from you Bob.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:37 am

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”