Thanks NY DEC - not

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

moog5050
500 Club

Thanks NY DEC - not

Unread postby moog5050 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:12 am

In the areas we hunt, we just lost the first two weeks of bow and all of MZ season to hunting bucks. Doe only. The goal was to reduce doe numbers. Why choose the periods with the least number of hunters in the woods with less effective weapons. I just don't understand it. Sorry, rant over.

Ryan
500 Club

Re: Thanks NY DEC - not

Unread postby Ryan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:15 am

What state lands do you hunt that they did this? That's a shame, I'm glad I got out of NY when I did, beautiful state but the taxes and policies ruined it for me

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:23 am

The lands I hunt are all private (not much public within 2 hours), but its still affects the WMUs we hunt. NY DEC just doesn't seem to get it. There are so many other states that have better management programs, but our DEC refuses to follow the lead.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:24 am

Ryan wrote: I'm glad I got out of NY when I did, beautiful state but the taxes and policies ruined it for me

Good move. Most people don't look at it that way. If you stay, your tax dollars go to supporting that crap.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:51 am

Absolutely true, it's ashame to, NY could have awesome potential if they put the funds to managing better, the state land especially, NY holds a lot of good deer..I went from paying around 90 bucks I think for a license in NY , to paying 60 in nc for hunting, fishing you name it, and you get way more deer tags, I couldn't believe how many deer I could shoot down here lol, surprisingly iv seen bigger deer here as well, which was a shock to me

phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:08 am

Early Oct. bucks are a thing of the past now. So are late season w/MZ.

Seems like DEC enacted the worst possible rules/regs to get deer numbers down. Not in gun, not EAB, not OBR, nothing...
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:11 am

phade wrote:Early Oct. bucks are a thing of the past now. So are late season w/MZ.

Seems like DEC enacted the worst possible rules/regs to get deer numbers down. Not in gun, not EAB, not OBR, nothing...
ya I don't get the thought process the dec used for that one...

Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:43 am

I am a little perplexed as well. They aren't going to force someone to kill a doe that doesn't want to. Hopefully they get enough negative feedback to reverse their decision by next season.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:26 pm

They wont listen to anyone but the insurance companies. They killed our fall turkey season as well. Down to 2 weeks from 6 blaming it for the decline in numbers but not addressing the real problems like loss of habitat, predators & bad nesting seasons. Mike
Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:38 pm

mspaci wrote:They wont listen to anyone but the insurance companies. They killed our fall turkey season as well. Down to 2 weeks from 6 blaming it for the decline in numbers but not addressing the real problems like loss of habitat, predators & bad nesting seasons. Mike

Predators are a huge reason in the recent decline, on our property alone in wny I went from never seeing or hearing of a coyote to seein nothing but coyote tracks and dead deer, we also had a run in with a mountain lion..dec supposedly declined that they released any to
Control the population..and then our neighbor got one on his trail camera

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”