broadhead target

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

todd wylie
Facebook: toddwylie

broadhead target

Unread postby todd wylie » Mon May 25, 2015 7:47 am

What dose everyone use to pratice and tune with broadheads? All I got is a hurricane bag and I know broadheads will shread it. What do I use, and something that won't taer up my shafts and broadheads.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: broadhead target

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon May 25, 2015 8:02 am

You can do a lot with a clean pile of dirt or sand. The 18-1 is a good commercial target.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon May 25, 2015 9:10 am

I tune as good as I can with field points, do a final tune with broadheads shot into my block target and then go to broadhead shoots (sand pit) throughout the summer. I try to minimize the number of shots I put into my own target with broadheads
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 25, 2015 9:46 am

Rinehart 18-1 is a great broadhead target.

http://www.rinehart3d.com/products/#i64
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon May 25, 2015 2:52 pm

Dicks Sporting goods sells a styrofoam block target for like 20 bucks. I shoot it up and toss it. It's cheap enough to replace. It's big enough that you can shred one side of it, rotate and shred again. So you've got 4 potential sides you can shred. There are no target rings on the bottom or top - but the block still works as a back stop.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon May 25, 2015 3:16 pm

i like the Yellow jacket by Morrel I got supreme works for "broadheads only" . 65dollars (fleet farm) big target can put lots of stickers all over it for multiple arrows safely without fear of broadhead cutting other arrows. I really like 18-1 too. great for treestand practice. Just I dont like to shoot 5 arrows in it with broadheads on. you will damage other arrows if you do multiple broadhead tipped arrows. Field points not as big of issue. If you got the land and right situation a mixture of screened topsoil and sand is awesome.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue May 26, 2015 1:06 pm

I sucked it up and bought an 18-1...

That was in...summer of 2013. I shot it a bunch that summer....2014 I shot it more..not as much but a bit..

I finally have a few sides that are starting to give way...but those are the sides I shot with broad heads a good bit...

I love it...it does very well...and arrows pull out pretty easy...if you only shot field points in it you'd probably never wear it out...with field points the holes close back up...

I like a bag for field points but they are big...and heavy...and the covers get shot out fairly quick...

I like the 18-1 for its weight and size...I can take it to my buddies...I can take it to the farm...I can take it hunting and chuck it from the truck and take a couple shots before going to the stand...pricey...but I feel like its worth it...

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue May 26, 2015 1:26 pm

Can I share my low buck backstop?
A tractor supply clearanced a bed mat for an 8ft truck bed for 25 dollars. That is a lot of coverage for little cash.
My broadhead shooting block came from Cabelas and shreds pretty easy.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed May 27, 2015 4:45 am

I currently use styrofoam floats - the kind that floating docks are built on. I got a bunch used for free, but think they are pretty cheap new. They last years for me, but I don't shoot broadheads all that much, just leading up to and through deer season. With field tips I use a rag bag, but broadheads get hung up in those style targets pretty bad.

BassBoysLLP wrote:You can do a lot with a clean pile of dirt [glow=red]or sand[/glow]. The 18-1 is a good commercial target.

Careful with sand - a few shots doesn't hurt anything (other than make your blades REALLY dull but those should be swapped out or sharpened anyway) but sand is by definition abrasive and there will be a lot of wear on tips and even the front several inches of your shafts if you shoot a lot into sand. Trust me I know, I wore down quite a few arrows and tips shooting into a sand pile in the past :lol:
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:59 am

I shoot same arrow in dirt pile all year round.... Never had a problem with it

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed May 27, 2015 6:38 am

Dewey wrote:Rinehart 18-1 is a great broadhead target.

The rinehart targets are expensive but well worth it. I've had the same one for several years now. I used to go through targets pretty quick. The rinehart has held up better than any target I've ever had.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Thu May 28, 2015 1:12 pm

I used to do what prebad did for years, even targets were from dicks. One year I splurged and bought the 18 to 1 off of ebay. I should have done that year ago. I've shot the 18 to 1 100s of times with broad heads and its still in amazing shape. Only problem was last year I was shooting from an elevated position and shot the handle. More funny than anything. Do yourself a favor, invest in the 18 to 1 and you won't have to buy another target for years to come. Well worth it.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:35 am

Lately, I've been making mine out of large diaper boxes. Fill with clean dirt, duct tape, and presto you have a decent broadhead target. By the time, its shot up I have another empty diaper box sitting in the recycle bin. They aren't light, nor water resistant, but they are cheap!
Brett

Unread postby Brett » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:29 pm

Dewey wrote:Rinehart 18-1 is a great broadhead target.

x2. i use this as well, i only use two sides atm; one for practice heads and one for broad heads. should last a very long time
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:19 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:Lately, I've been making mine out of large diaper boxes. Fill with clean dirt, duct tape, and presto you have a decent broadhead target. By the time, its shot up I have another empty diaper box sitting in the recycle bin. They aren't light, nor water resistant, but they are cheap!

Lol nice!

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”