COLD!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

COLD!

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:42 am

Anyone have any thoughts on the impending deep freeze? Good for rutting, bad, otherwise? Any change in tactics? Just thought I'd throw this out there for conversation. A little snow should make finding the deer easy. Looking forward to getting up to central WI for the first time this season tomorrow morning.

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: COLD!

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:11 am

Good question...I don't think I have seen these kind of temps during the rut before - highs below freezing and lows forecast down to 10 degrees for a full week. Curious to see what others have experienced.

My first inclination would be indirectly target major food sources just like late season because that is what the does are after and bucks should be following the does. That, and protected south sloping doe bedding areas which incidentally are also leeward slopes with northerly winds.
SaddleMaster

Unread postby SaddleMaster » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:15 am

JoeRE wrote:Good question...I don't think I have seen these kind of temps during the rut before - highs below freezing and lows forecast down to 10 degrees for a full week. Curious to see what others have experienced.

My first inclination would be indirectly target major food sources just like late season because that is what the does are after and bucks should be following the does. [glow=red]That, and protected south sloping doe bedding areas which incidentally are also leeward slopes with northerly winds.[/glow]

That was my first thought too. The does will be heading to those south slopes to bed in the sun.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:59 am

I was kind of hoping even with lockdown, may keep the does on their feet more and keep everything moving. We'll see. Definitely time to swap out for the late season gear.

Anyone planning on any tracking with the bow? Tempting, but just so hard to get a shot still hunting with a bow, probably stick to the stand.
Peter

Unread postby Peter » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:21 am

I'm curious about this too. Trying to figure out my schedule for this week, think I can get out two afternoons in SE WI. Just need to decide which will be the most productive.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:56 pm

It's going to be one miserable gun hunt in northern Wis. Some places will have over a foot of snow and the ten day forcast calls for -5F some nights.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:41 am

I'm hoping today is good as the front begins to cool things off

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:28 am

ihookem wrote:It's going to be one miserable gun hunt in northern Wis. Some places will have over a foot of snow and the ten day forcast calls for -5F some nights.

The swamp slush has already started forming in the river, tough going in that slush now, haha, gonna make it a pain come rifle, swamps will probably be half froze!
There's no doubt I'm hugging food sources if the cold continues, at least it'll be easier to see what the deer are doing anyway, but should be interesting, cause really don't know where rut is here. I cut 4 different tracks yesterday afternoon during the snow and they were browsing to food sources.
[ Post made via Andro id ] Image
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:57 am

I remember a rifle season in Nebraska when I was a kid. We got around 12-18" of snow on opening day followed by single digit temperatures the rest of the season. I remember the movement (especially rut movement) being extremely suppressed.

I imagine a deer's metabolism nose dives under stress like that.
"In the deed, the glory"
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:20 am

ihookem wrote:It's going to be one miserable gun hunt in northern Wis. Some places will have over a foot of snow and the ten day forcast calls for -5F some nights.

Sounds like a normal gun deer season I remember from my early days. Worst seasons are extremely warm temps and no snow so given a choice I will be happy with what's coming. To me a perfect gun season is 6" of powder snow with a high temp of 25 degrees with lows in the lower teens.
Brett

Unread postby Brett » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:41 am

Kraftd wrote:I was kind of hoping even with lockdown, may keep the does on their feet more and keep everything moving. We'll see. Definitely time to swap out for the late season gear.

Kinda what I'm hoping/planning to having the next 2 weeks off :?
staywarmguy
Facebook: facebook.com/huntersapron

Unread postby staywarmguy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:44 am

It may be an opportunity for some still hunting or maybe a drive? Get them out of their beds if they're hunkered down.
Stay warm. Hunt longer.
http://www.huntersapron.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”