"His" bed right now?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JROD157

"His" bed right now?

Unread postby JROD157 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:00 pm

I discovered an urban buck i am after was bedding in standing corn 10 days ago. Yesterday, I found his 5' bed with 3.5" tracks just 40 yards from my stand. This is not a doe bedding area. Very few doe sightings period, only bucks. It is a pond with joining tree lines and hedgerows surrounded by crops for hundreds of yards and then houses. My stand is in the only mature tree for 200 yards. His bed lies solo in the middle of undergrowth and saplings. He has 270degreee of view which makes a pm hunt close to impossible. Since it is Nov 3, and i know his interest is on tail, should i count on him using this bed again in the coming week or even two? Or bank on him returning when the chase has dwindled? I can only hunt the stand with south winds so my time there is limited anyway, but he is a stud and is the only buck i am after for the rest of the season. Thoughts?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

HoosierG5
500 Club

Re: "His" bed right now?

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:21 pm

Sure his mind is on tail- mine would be too if I only had a few weeks a year!!! With a south wind, Id be in there. Bucks are on their feet but they are also bedded for a large pirtion of their day. He may run and chase but he will go back to home soon enough...hope you are there waiting!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:08 pm

I wasn't aware of it but Dan was actually saying on a recent thread that some bucks will still utilize their normal bedding areas during the rut between chasing and tending. If the buck is that nice it's certainly worth a try.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:41 pm

On pressured deer the rut just gets them out of their bed during daytime, pretty much the only difference. They might leave for 2-3 days at a time but they come right back. Evening hunt might still work 40 yards is plenty of distance if it's thick.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:17 pm

Buckfever wrote:On pressured deer the rut just gets them out of their bed during daytime, pretty much the only difference. They might leave for 2-3 days at a time but they come right back. Evening hunt might still work 40 yards is plenty of distance if it's thick.

X2
I caqn remember two big mature bucks I shot during rut, one was an evening hunt over his bedding area on October 31st, the other was a morning hunt over his bedding area November 4th... There are probably a few other examples I am forgetting...
JROD157

Unread postby JROD157 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:38 am

So you guys are thinking he will still frequent this bed during the chase? The nearest stretch of timber is 1,000 yards away past residential development. Last week after I saw him leave the corn in the evening, I snuck into the corn two hours before daylight downwind of where he exited hoping I would catch him on the return (would that be considered "Beast style?"). No such luck. I am convinced the only reason he was moving at daylight was from e combine cutting the beans north of his bedding. His exit from bedding is literally on a barbed wire fence in the middle of the wide open and there are about 8 scrapes on small overhangs for about a 300 yd stretch. The corn is still standing which I am certain is providing him comfort in bedding here. Do you think he will still use the pond to bed when the corn is cut?
This nocturnal animal has me wracking my brain. And I love it! I had a two all day sits this past weekend and did not see a single deer. Those days are brutal!!
This buck is the only reason I am hunting the land. I have had access to it for 6 years but it was just a spot to train my dog and shoot an occasional goose/duck. Wide open field hunting has never been appetizing to me. After finding a few sheds and hanging a trail camera in August, I decided I would use it as a plan B. Well, I shot my regular season buck, and now I can only shoot an urban buck. Your insight is awesome.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:05 am

My $0.02, I wouldn't cross off the possibility that being a night time bed. If he was feeding in the corn, he may have bedded down to chew his cud. Standing corn just doesn't seem like a likely spot for a mature buck to consider safe enough to bed during the day, but it's not impossible, either. Consider this, a mature buck will likely have come to age living in a core area he knows as well as you know your own house. That corn will be cut soon, very soon, and he would have to relocate. I have a feeling his core bedroom is elsewhere and that standing corn bed was a temporary solution to do a little digesting as he swallows that nutritious corn to build his chasing energy :)

Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:31 am

"His bed lies solo in the middle of undergrowth and saplings."

I didn't take him to be bedding in the corn. These mature bucks find the oddest neglected places to call home. And 1000 yards is what 5 minutes for them to cover?
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:47 am

I should have read the original post a little better. So 10-days ago the buck was bedded in standing corn, but his core bedroom is in a cluster of undergrowth and saplings?

I don't know... This time of year when the rut is in swing, I see bucks bedded with does their chasing. Last year as the sun came up a massive 12-point buck was bedded with a doe in the middle of a very large cut bean field. Eventually he rose after sun-up and nudged her. She got up and they ran in circles in the middle of that open field for an hour! It was pretty wild. Too bad it wasn't gun season or I would have bagged a biggun that morning.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:58 am

Sam Ubl wrote:I should have read the original post a little better. So 10-days ago the buck was bedded in standing corn, but his core bedroom is in a cluster of undergrowth and saplings?

I don't know... This time of year when the rut is in swing, I see bucks bedded with does their chasing. Last year as the sun came up a massive 12-point buck was bedded with a doe in the middle of a very large cut bean field. Eventually he rose after sun-up and nudged her. She got up and they ran in circles in the middle of that open field for an hour! It was pretty wild. Too bad it wasn't gun season or I would have bagged a biggun that morning.

I think you made an excellent point though, a lot of times guys will find food source buck beds confirmed by sign which are almost completely worthless to hunt. Sometimes there's a rub line away from the food source which will at least tell you the direction back to the core bedding.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:16 am

I would definitely give it a shot now. If it turns out he's not bedding there right now you didn't hurt anything by hunting it. If he returns post rut you can still hunt him there, your scent will be long gone and it's a fresh sit.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
JROD157

Unread postby JROD157 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:18 am

I am yet to see many rubs from him. Could be the lack of decent trees. There are some 3" saplings that have been rubbed but not many. The half dozen scrapes are definitely something he has been visiting within the past week. Print size tells that story relatively easy. The lack of does makes it a tough sit this time of year, but i also know some bucks are extremely reclusive and nocturnal. I keep telling myself i am not here to see a bunch of deer, I am here to see one deer. Sounds good but sux to be quite honest.

Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:25 am

JROD157 wrote:I am yet to see many rubs from him. Could be the lack of decent trees. There are some 3" saplings that have been rubbed but not many. The half dozen scrapes are definitely something he has been visiting within the past week. Print size tells that story relatively easy. The lack of does makes it a tough sit this time of year, but i also know some bucks are extremely reclusive and nocturnal. I keep telling myself i am not here to see a bunch of deer, I am here to see one deer. Sounds good but sux to be quite honest.

A cheap black flash camera set up high facing down on the scrapes would tell you a whole lot.
JROD157

Unread postby JROD157 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:43 am

Buckfever- Funny you say that. I just ordered one on Friday. Should be here any day. Should i put it over one of them scrapes or at his bed on a rainy day?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”