Charles Alsheimer 2014 rut predictions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Charles Alsheimer 2014 rut predictions

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:50 pm

I don't always agree with his dates but think he may be pretty close this year.

http://wiredtohunt.com/2014/05/12/2014- ... ng-frenzy/

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Re: Charles Alsheimer 2014 rut predictions

Unread postby MN Legacy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:06 pm

Well I think he has some interesting things to say about the rut. I tend to think that it happens at the same time of year regardless of moon phase. Maybe he has some thousand acres of micro managed land whare deer aren't pressured, but in Minnesota whare I hunt after the gun season get's started a whole bunch of things change in the deer woods. I think that the rut is largely nocturnal affair in the area I hunt once the orange army starts shooting.
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:54 pm

Good article. Thanks for sharing that Dewey.

Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:12 am

I always enjoy reading his prediction, even though it is basically the same article every year just the dates are different. I actually think it is more consistent though, last week of oct to mid second week of nov with good movement thru thanksgiving.

[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:20 am

I'm off work the 8th to the 16th! I can't wait.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Putt4Doe

Unread postby Putt4Doe » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:01 am

I first started reading about Charlie Alsheimer's predictions when I bought his book "Strategies for Whitetail" sometime around 2008. For the most part, I find that his predictions seem to be spot on. I try to plan the bulk of my hunting time around his dates.
whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:18 pm

I've bought his calendars and paid some attention to his rut predictions for the last five years and I don't see a definite correlation at all. One look back at the kill dates of posts in this forum over the past few years shows a definite pattern of the same stretch of days year after year. Of course there are exceptions and I believe that keeps some people convinced that his predictions are accurate.

Anyone could make their own random predictions in any given year and some bucks will surely be shot during that time, no matter what time of the season it is. That would give the prediction a false sense of credibility.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm bashing CA. He's very knowledgeable when it comes to whitetails and their behavior. I just think he pushes his theory on impressionable deer hunters to cash in. I assure you he's profiting from any print that has his predictions in it.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:08 am

Thats a good article, it does a good job of laying out the various theories of when and why the rut occurs.

I have no reason to doubt the large amount of research that says that does coming into estrus is triggered by length of daylight - photoperiodism. At the same time, thats not exactly what hunters are talking about on the topic of daylight rutting movement - we are talking about mature bucks cruising, chasing, and the like. Yes they are related but they are not the same. There are many factors that affect daylight rutting movement.

I have watched Charles Alsheimer's predictions over the years. I started out very skeptical but after his predictions matched my observations for many years in a row I have decided he is onto something in regard to daylight rutting movement. There are a number of factors that effect daylight rutting movement and I have become certain the timing of the full moon is one of them. Regardless, its interesting to see what everyone else's personal observations are.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:16 am

I've seen enough to know I can't rely on his predictions in my area but I have also seen enough to wonder if the moon is some kind of trigger for doe that are close to estrus. I generally plan my vacation around my own dates and the moon days we talk about on this website, however I do keep an eye on his predictions to see of any of those days line up with mine.
superseal

Unread postby superseal » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:32 am

QDMA article about the timing of the rut....

Article....http://www.qdma.com/articles/no-link-between-moon-phase-and-rut-peak

KillYourTV

Unread postby KillYourTV » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:48 am

Awesome info! Thanks!
[glow=LIME]Mathews Z7 Magnum
CE Maxima Red w/ Rage eXtreme
[/glow]
[glow=GREEN]Summit Viper XD
XOP Air Raid
XOP Sticks
[/glow]