Colder Canadian air coming for Halloween

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

Re: Colder Canadian air coming for Halloween

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:24 am

Stanley wrote:
Stanley, why wouldn't you get dropped off further down the road and access the ground blind through the woods (just southeast of the blind) rather than walking down the edge of the woods and potentially being seen by the buck?

Is the block of woods that you walk along private?

Good question; The woods (triangle piece) is public, the bordering ground to the North is private. There is always the possibility of a buck being in the woods. I always like to give a hunt the best opportunity and not eliminate any chance. If you'll notice this is an actual funnel set up. You never want to go through the areas a buck could come from if you absolutely can avoid it. With the approach I have in plan I disturb the least amount of good area. The open field to the North will hold no bucks (I'm conceding that area to my scent), so walking that edge is optimal. I can stay a few yards into the timber to be as stealth as possible.

Gotcha. That's great thinking and keeping open as many possibilities as you can. Thanks for the explanation and good luck getting it done!

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:01 am

Dewey wrote:Just in time to kick start the rut. Looking forward to some better temps and will feel good to finally break out my cold weather clothing. 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:16 am

great timing on this cold front! i have to work until wednesday but then i'm off until nov 18th :mrgreen:

our muzzleloader season opens saturday. supposed to be rain/snow showers and temps in the 30s and 40s. same temps but no precip on sunday. hopefully the precip isn't too bad on saturday.
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:16 am

When are you guys sitting all day? Is this weekend to early

[ Post made via Android ] Image
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:32 am

yungbuck wrote:When are you guys sitting all day? Is this weekend to early

Now any day I can hunt

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:41 am

yungbuck wrote:When are you guys sitting all day? Is this weekend to early

When you see a flury of buck movement is when to start all day sits. This means the does are close and one is probably smelling pretty good right now. I would think another 5 -7 days.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:48 am

I will sit all day starting Nov 1.... I might Thursday too cause I have only logged 3hrs in a tree since Oct 6th!!!! :shock:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:48 am

When you guys do all day sits, would you ever go in the morning, head back to the truck for lunch and than go back to the same spot for the evening. If feasible, not if you had to walk 2 miles into you spot.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:09 am

exojam wrote:When you guys do all day sits, would you ever go in the morning, head back to the truck for lunch and than go back to the same spot for the evening. If feasible, not if you had to walk 2 miles into you spot.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I personally wouldn't you double the human exposure. Stand burn out would be double over just sitting all day. Pack a lunch.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
AntlerAddiction

Unread postby AntlerAddiction » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:27 am

][/quote]
I personally wouldn't you double the human exposure. Stand burn out would be double over just sitting all day. Pack a lunch.[/quote]

This is the right idea although I know from experiance how draining a dark to dark sit can be. It really really helps to have plenty of movement to keep you focused on on the task at hand :D
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:31 am

Im not seeing alot of differential in temps coming this weekend. There is a low pressure system moving through WI right now with a stationary front dragging in some rain for tonight and tomorrow that will drop the temps down a little and turn the wind out of the NW due to the precipitation along the boundary, but no 'big' cold front in the foreseeable future. The NWS is forecasting winds out of the south and highs in the upper 40's for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for western WI. This is not your typical late Oct. cold front...
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:57 am

Worked my schedule this week to have some late morning meetings too close too home to go into the office early Wednesday and plan on sneaking out for an 11-2 hunt on a historic mid day cruising route Friday. Should be lost of stuff dyin' in the next week!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:57 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Im not seeing alot of differential in temps coming this weekend. There is a low pressure system moving through WI right now with a stationary front dragging in some rain for tonight and tomorrow that will drop the temps down a little and turn the wind out of the NW due to the precipitation along the boundary, but no 'big' cold front in the foreseeable future. The NWS is forecasting winds out of the south and highs in the upper 40's for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for western WI. This is not your typical late Oct. cold front...

40's is WAY better than 70's isn't it?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:20 pm

It is, but kinda bummed about the southerly winds. Was hoping for some brisk NW winds for a leeward set up that has produced some action for the last few seasons.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:36 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:It is, but kinda bummed about the southerly winds. Was hoping for some brisk NW winds for a leeward set up that has produced some action for the last few seasons.

I'm actually kind of excited about this "warm" cold front. It should be a nice gradual transition. I have a ton of spots I want to hit under these early conditions. I'd rather have steady and good than fast and great. It will keep the handful of decent bucks close to their happy place.

Just a personal preference...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”