Colder Canadian air coming for Halloween

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Colder Canadian air coming for Halloween

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:55 pm

Just in time to kick start the rut. Looking forward to some better temps and will feel good to finally break out my cold weather clothing. 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Tom's Hunting Lodge
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Toms-Hun ... 9489827174

Re: Colder Canadian air coming for Halloween

Unread postby Tom's Hunting Lodge » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:25 pm

Saw that in the forecast ! the following Sat and Sun/ Nov 1st & 2nd look good weather wise !! should be some deer going down then !!
AntlerAddiction

Unread postby AntlerAddiction » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:04 am

Low of 28 here on the 1st! I'll take it.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:12 am

Can't wait!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:13 am

Wish i could hunt this coming weekend :cry: BUT i will enjoy following the Live from the stand thread!! :D
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:27 am

Leaving Wednesday for a 10 day hunt in hill country!
It'll be my first days in the stand this season!
Good luck to all.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:29 am

:L: cant wait!!!!!!!

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:36 am

Excited is an understatement. I topped off a 3 weeks of limited hunting and family filled activities with pumpkin carving, camp fires, and trick or treating.

A few short days at work then its time. :violence-bowandarrow:
Last edited by BassBoysLLP on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:08 am

I gotta work this week then it's go time for two weeks.. Can't wait... All day sits start Sunday...

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:40 am

Cool, literally and figuratively. :handgestures-thumbup: It's warm and humid today :handgestures-thumbdown: I'm ready to get out also. Getting old, :character-oldtimer: first time in 50+ years I wasn't able to hunt early season due to health issues. :cry: My favorite private spot is getting heavy use with the nice weather. Duck hunters, squirrel hunters, wood cutters, guys mowing trails for 4 wheelers, 4 wheelers using the trails, guys burning old siding from a house, deer bow hunters (5 not counting me). Guys driving trucks to their hunting stands. This is on 400 acres.

I'm planning a public ground hunt to get away from the people & disturbances. I have a trick up my sleeve. Been watching a good buck (9 point) on public that is bedding on private. I plan on a ground blind hunt because I'm not sure I have the grunt to haul a stand in. Hoping the pattern holds he has been using. I doubt it will hold much longer than another week. too close to rut time.

I'm finding one good thing about not hunting early, I'm pumped to go out and hunt. I'm mentally fresh and ready to go. That's the way I like it. I had to locate a wheel man to drop me off. Got one lined up. My plan is for the wheel man to drop me off and keep going for a diversion as I slip into the timber and travel to where I have been seeing the buck. I'm going to use a natural ground blind set up. I have used this technique, over the years with some success.

This could all change depending on the circumstances. This public is very small 10.5 acres. Here's is my set up plan. Yellow line is my access route (drop off point at the road). Orange is ground blind location approximate. Green arrow is wind direction SW. Red is where I suspect the the buck is bedding according to my intel (private ground can't hunt there). Blue arrow is the bucks travel route(hopefully). This ground is flatter than a babies but. One problem I see right away is with the cold front coming through later in the week. The chance of getting a SW wind is nil.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:08 am

Heading north to Ontario for 7 days, mid 40's right now, weather looking good! Good luck everyone!

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:17 am

The colder weather is only going to make this rut vacation sweeter. 25 days of grinning from ear to ear in a tree.

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:38 am

olivertractor wrote:Heading north to Ontario for 7 days, mid 40's right now, weather looking good! Good luck everyone!

Good luck in Canada hopefully some snow early for you.

xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:18 am

Stanley wrote:Cool, literally and figuratively. :handgestures-thumbup: It's warm and humid today :handgestures-thumbdown: I'm ready to get out also. Getting old, :character-oldtimer: first time in 50+ years I wasn't able to hunt early season due to health issues. :cry: My favorite private spot is getting heavy use with the nice weather. Duck hunters, squirrel hunters, wood cutters, guys mowing trails for 4 wheelers, 4 wheelers using the trails, guys burning old siding from a house, deer bow hunters (5 not counting me). Guys driving trucks to their hunting stands. This is on 400 acres.

I'm planning a public ground hunt to get away from the people & disturbances. I have a trick up my sleeve. Been watching a good buck (9 point) on public that is bedding on private. I plan on a ground blind hunt because I'm not sure I have the grunt to haul a stand in. Hoping the pattern holds he has been using. I doubt it will hold much longer than another week. too close to rut time.

I'm finding one good thing about not hunting early, I'm pumped to go out and hunt. I'm mentally fresh and ready to go. That's the way I like it. I had to locate a wheel man to drop me off. Got one lined up. My plan is for the wheel man to drop me off and keep going for a diversion as I slip into the timber and travel to where I have been seeing the buck. I'm going to use a natural ground blind set up. I have used this technique, over the years with some success.

This could all change depending on the circumstances. This public is very small 10.5 acres. Here's is my set up plan. Yellow line is my access route (drop off point at the road). Orange is ground blind location approximate. Green arrow is wind direction SW. Red is where I suspect the the buck is bedding according to my intel (private ground can't hunt there). Blue arrow is the bucks travel route(hopefully). This ground is flatter than a babies but. One problem I see right away is with the cold front coming through later in the week. The chance of getting a SW wind is nil.

Stanley, why wouldn't you get dropped off further down the road and access the ground blind through the woods (just southeast of the blind) rather than walking down the edge of the woods and potentially being seen by the buck?

Is the block of woods that you walk along private?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:50 am

xpauliber wrote:
Stanley wrote:Cool, literally and figuratively. :handgestures-thumbup: It's warm and humid today :handgestures-thumbdown: I'm ready to get out also. Getting old, :character-oldtimer: first time in 50+ years I wasn't able to hunt early season due to health issues. :cry: My favorite private spot is getting heavy use with the nice weather. Duck hunters, squirrel hunters, wood cutters, guys mowing trails for 4 wheelers, 4 wheelers using the trails, guys burning old siding from a house, deer bow hunters (5 not counting me). Guys driving trucks to their hunting stands. This is on 400 acres.

Stanley, why wouldn't you get dropped off further down the road and access the ground blind through the woods (just southeast of the blind) rather than walking down the edge of the woods and potentially being seen by the buck?

Is the block of woods that you walk along private?

Good question; The woods (triangle piece) is public, the bordering ground to the North is private. There is always the possibility of a buck being in the woods. I always like to give a hunt the best opportunity and not eliminate any chance. If you'll notice this is an actual funnel set up. You never want to go through the areas a buck could come from if you absolutely can avoid it. With the approach I have in plan I disturb the least amount of good area. The open field to the North will hold no bucks (I'm conceding that area to my scent), so walking that edge is optimal. I can stay a few yards into the timber to be as stealth as possible.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”