Hill Country ?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brett

Hill Country ?

Unread postby Brett » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:37 am

Looking for any input on this new public land. Going to try and take my first hill-country buck this year. Being close to the end of October, ill be targeting some potential buck bedding areas and potential rut stands. I've watched Dans video on hunting hill bucks multiple times and is very imfomative for those who have not watched it yet, but patterning deer in hilly terrain is completely out of my element :shock: Wind direction is primarily from the SW or from the SE. agriculture fields edge up to all of the ridges and are all currently corn and are still standing at the moment. The timber consists primarily of mature OLD oaks.
I have put some leather down on this particular spot and found plenty of random big buck sign that i can't wrap my head around. Mind you, this place is not heavily hunted either. I have found buck beds, but not where i expected them, thats why I'm hoping if some of you veteran hilly buck hunters can give me your insight.

-Brett

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hill Country ?

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:49 am

Red is hunting positions (aprox.) and blue is where they should be bedded. The biggest bucks will bed using elevation, these should be the best spots, but you need to use some common sense in finding the spots with the least human activity... There is only so much room in the bedding areas for bucks... Lesser bucks gotta go somewhere. Disregard random beds.
Brett

Unread postby Brett » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:02 am

Thanks dan! Ill keep this thread going as soon as i get some more scouting done to see where the beds actually are, in hope to help some more people out
-Brett
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:06 am

If it were me...I'd focus on the bottom where the river bends to make an L. That top has both East to West and North to South ridge sides... just about every wind situation could work there (escept maybe North if orientation is North at top)... sometimes I like to take a big chunk and break it down. That is where I would start no doubt in my mind
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Brett

Unread postby Brett » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:04 am

Thanks Bucky! I was thinking the same thing
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:14 am

This is funny I actually know this property I scouted it 2 years ago. I'm not hunting it this year. The biggest issue is the private property pressure that forces the big buck movement closer to the river. It's a good property lots of big tracks and yes very little pressure. Some areas get no pressure just hard to get to. PM me I know exactly where I'd sit for the rut.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:37 am

One more general thing I want to say without revealing anything about this specific hunt. When we look at a topo and an aerial and we see a deep cut and field edge in between bedding this can be a great rut funnel with the wind right we can circle around concealing our movement from the bedding area come in from the field or up the cut and leave no scent except where we come in. But if there is heavy adjacent pressure say at the field edge for example the spot can still be very good but it won't be textbook. Just go to where movement would be out of gun range and look for a path of least resistance through the cuts. So what we learn there still applies you just have to adjust for the pressure.
Brett

Unread postby Brett » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:08 pm

Thanks BuckFever, sent you a PM
-Brett
ClawGrizzly

Unread postby ClawGrizzly » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:59 am

hello
im curious how to get my hands on Dan's video o hunting hill bucks?
:D 8-)
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:20 am

You can get them in the store here on the site.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”