Great hunt last night

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigburner

Great hunt last night

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:15 am

I was a little down the past week b/c i had buddies kill two really nice deer this past weekend. Its our muzzleloader and these guys totally had these deer fall into their lap. My one buddy got out of his stand early evening and walked out on to a ditch right of way and saw a doe at 120 yards. he put his gun up and was about to squeeze off and a 146" 10 pointer walked into his scope reticle at 60yards. The following night same scenerio my other friend was hunting the same spot. Got out of the stand early and caught a crazy heavy non-typical 9 pointer crossing the same ditch at 100 yards. Total dumb luck and both their best deer. Two phone calls two nights in a row and a visit to their houses. These guys had no clue. It was hard not to feel a little green with envy and think about how bad it sucks when these guys put zero time into scouting or logic when it comes to hunting and I scout and then scout and scout some more after that. And hunt and hunt some more after that. I hunted early this week and nothing in a spot with prime bedding and prime everything long hike in and out the whole nine. I'm sure a lot of us have been in that situation. Hard not to get discouraged.
So, its brings us to last night.
A few weeks ago I bumped a target buck from his bed and later that same evening after moving locations I had an encounter with two other 4.5 yro 8 pointers at the end of shooting light. Things worked out that I was able to get back in that area last night but knowing where a bed was located I adjusted my set up . I slowly crept about 100 yards down wind of the known bed and had to swing way around to cross a trail and hook back into my set. I was getting situated and had my first stick set and I turned around and 70 yards behind me at my 7 o'clock was one of the 8 pointers I saw late in the evening on my last hunt. He was trying to burn holes in me with his eyes but I was still on the ground and evrything but my head was covered by a patch of green briar. After a 5 minute staring contest he flicked his tail lost focus and slowly meandered away into a terrain funnel. This buck was on his feet stagging at 4:30 in the afternoon. I knew it was gonna be a good night. I began setting up again and got 2 sticks high and a heard a quick rustle in the leaves and there stood a basket 8. By this time I'm thinking to myself "two bucks, you've got to be kidding me".
I got set in my saddle and was facing west with the setting sun in my face and had a a really steady SSW wind last evening. It never shifted once. At about 5 pm I caught a body sillouetted against the marsh on the transition line were the buck bed was located. I saw this buck exit the bed and started working a wide circle around me 60 or so yards out in a clockwise direction. I wasn't sure what deer this was , but man I was pumped. He was working to my right side and I had enough time to get situated for a look or maybe a shot. I had to get in a really funky position with my left foot toes resting against my right foot heel and my right leg rested against the tree. total calf burner. I got locked in this position for a good 25 minutes as the buck worked his way toward me. He fed on acorns for a long while and finally hit and opening at 32 yards I drew my bow and I gave him a good look. He was about 120" 3.5 yro 8 pointer. I thought long and hard but there are 3 known 4 yro on this farm so he got a pass. but the coolest thing happend. He bedded down 30 yards from me just off my scent stream under a small hickory. I had thought I heard him snort and thought he got my wind but I droppped some seed and was in the clear. The noise was him laying down in the dry leaves. He bedded for a good 10-15 minutes and got up and worked his way over to a small maple and proceeded to thrash the living sap out of it. he then walked away just out of my scent steam. I took a few deep breaths and got calmed down and twisted back around in my saddle just stoked out of my head.
Right before the end of legal light I had another buck come in behind me and I'm pretty sure he got a whiff but nothing crazy as far as a reaction. That was the first time I've ever experienced getting eyes on watching the buck get out of his bed especially with an oportunity for a kill. I had a hard time getting to sleep last night because I was so ramped up.
Unbelievable night watching all those bucks staging in that small area until dark. I have nieghbors to the north you hunt box stands on field edges with giant corn piles and those bucks aviod those guys like the plague and it was awesome seeing how those bucks work those properties.
I'm getting close I can feel it in my bones. My confidence is to the moon. I got my gear dialed my attitude dialed. I love this stuff!

Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
wmihunter

Re: Great hunt last night

Unread postby wmihunter » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:56 am

Good to hear! Keep at it!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:12 am

Man that's what it's all about right there!! Great hunt man!! Felt like I was there with ya!!! Beastly!!!!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:36 am

That hunt sounded like a blast!! Congrats on the hunt and encounter. Just a matter of time and the bucks you see will be a shooter!

Keep at it man :clap:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:35 pm

Awesome Bigburner!

We all need an attitude adjustment from time to time. Focus on what YOU are doing and kill one of the 4 y.o.

Great hunt :clap:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:41 pm

You did have a great hunt. Luck is often underrated when it comes to killing a buck. I mean, we hope the buck will be there, we hope the buck will move our direction, we hope the buck offers an open shot, we hope the buck is recovered. :think: Sounds to me like your friends were hunting and not sitting at home. I would say they had successful hunts just not as scripted.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:51 am

That's was a great story and hunt, thanks for sharing, that helped me get a little more pumped.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”