inspirations

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JohnFunn

inspirations

Unread postby JohnFunn » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:56 pm

Dan,

Just wondering who your early inspirations were in regards to hunting? Who showed you the ropes when it comes to your beast style hunting or did you figure it out on own? How old were you when these hunts really started to come together and you had that "Ah Ha" moment and started filling your walls with the big boys???!! Just curious...I'm a DIE HARD hunter but this is the first year I've ever bow hunted!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: inspirations

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:32 pm

Hi John,
As a young boy I was inspired by my brother Bob Who would go someplace called "up North" every year for gun season and always got a buck.. Not the biggest or best, but always got one. Sadly Alcoholism drove him away from hunting before I was old enough to hunt with him, and I ended up learning to hunt on my own... Later on, a slightly older family friend "Todd" started hunting with me. He killed some pretty nice bucks for back in those days, but sadly that was cut short because of a tragic accident with carbonmonoxide poisoning that altered his life forever... About the time I figured out that bed hunting was the way to go, Todds brother introduced me to Andrae D'Aquisto, and we hit it off...
Andrae taught me a lot of things like "respect" and "ethics", and a few tricks I would of never thought of.... I would like to think I taught him some things too. The best thing about the relationship with Andrae is it was more of a friendly compitition where we challenged each other to do better... We both really grew as hunters back in those days ( mostly the 1990's)
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:15 pm

In regards to hunting, my Mother. It started at age 5. She would bring me out during gun hunting and we would sit in the woods together and I watched her kill deer. I really thought that was cool. Dad stayed home most of the time watching football. I haven't had that 'moment' yet when it comes to filling the wall with racks. I can't comment on that. To be honest, Im not much of beast style hunter either.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
JohnFunn

Unread postby JohnFunn » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:38 pm

Very cool! (Sorry to hear about your brother and friend though.) Andrae sounds like a of a guy! I came from a family of very passionate hunters who always preached ethics...now I must turn the page and grow as a hunter. My desire to hunt and harvest mature bucks is at an all time high (too much wall space!) I've known where some bedding areas are for a while now but I've just "passively aggressively"hunted them during the rut...waiting hour after hour to catch them slipping out...NO MORE...I'm going in!!!! This site really helps! Thanks's much!

Craz,
That's awesome your mom took you out while dad watched football!!! Lol I shot my best buck ever while the whole hunting party went in to watch the game...I was getting contestant text to take a break for f's sake and watch the game...needless to say it was very very sweet to text a pic back and say "that is why I don't watch football during hunting season"! Lol

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:43 am

Crazinamatese wrote:In regards to hunting, my Mother. It started at age 5. She would bring me out during gun hunting and we would sit in the woods together and I watched her kill deer. I really thought that was cool. Dad stayed home most of the time watching football. I haven't had that 'moment' yet when it comes to filling the wall with racks. I can't comment on that. To be honest, Im not much of beast style hunter either.

Very cool about your mom being the one. Don't beat yourself up too bad about not being a Beast style hunter. I think just learning about Beast style hunting opens your eyes up much more than you realize. Once you start thinking about where a buck spends his day light hrs. You start realizing what it takes to kill bucks.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:59 am

Stanley wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:In regards to hunting, my Mother. It started at age 5. She would bring me out during gun hunting and we would sit in the woods together and I watched her kill deer. I really thought that was cool. Dad stayed home most of the time watching football. I haven't had that 'moment' yet when it comes to filling the wall with racks. I can't comment on that. To be honest, Im not much of beast style hunter either.

Very cool about your mom being the one. Don't beat yourself up too bad about not being a Beast style hunter. I think just learning about Beast style hunting opens your eyes up much more than you realize. Once you start thinking about where a buck spends his day light hrs. You start realizing what it takes to kill bucks.

Very good point Stan...
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:02 am

I drew my early and present inspiration from a couple people. My Grandfather died the year before I was born he was a really accomplished archer and bow hunter in late 40's-till his death in 74'.
After his death my Dad quit hunting. It really affected him. He would tell me some really awesome stories about all his exploits with my Grandpa. Real cool stuff. They had a two man canvas kayak that they would paddle around in the marshes in South Jersey and bow fish for carp. Great hunting stories about their trip to the pine barrens. My Grandpa also started a field archery club called Obissquasoit Bowmen in the 50's with one of his good friends. He was a state field archery champ multiple times and used to do a lot of exhibition shooting at fairs and carnivals shooting aerial targets and pheasant hunted with a bow all the time. He was the real deal form what I gather. My Dad told me a really cool story how they drove to this place to go meet Fred Bear and he used to roll around with his giant Kodiak that he killed. My Dad remembers them all talking and getting their picture with Fred.
We had a lot of nice recurves and longbows around and old carpet tubes full of cedar arrows that my Grandfather had made. He would burn his own feathers and crest all his stuff with homemade equipment and I would rummage through all this stuff as a kid. My Dad saw that I was fascinated with it and got me a recurve and subsequently I destroyed just about every one of those arrows, which sucks now, but I was on cloud nine. I never hunted with my Dad but was always in the woods with my bow from a really young age. But, I always regarded my Grandpa as some mythical figure and always draw off of my perception of what he was like and how I want to follow that idealic persona.
My second was my cousin. He was a couple years older than me. Together a lot as kids fishing and shooting 22.'s and stuff but once we had our drivers licenses it was game on. Fishing every day after school and hunting during the water fowl and deer seasons. Most of our other family members were hunter but he and I really connected with bow hunting. He was one of those guys that was just lucky. He had a certain aura around him. Hewould out fish or out hunt anybody. Things just happened for him and he was just great to be around. I was closer to him than my own brother. Tragically he took his own life in 1992 at the age of 20 yro. I was a senior in high school and I was crushed. It took the wind out of my sails for a long time. I hung up my hunting gear for a while b/c things didn't make much sense after that but I came around years later and realized that he wouldn't have wanted that and I didn't want that for him. So I think of him every time I'm out and about especially with bow in hand in the deer woods.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:26 am

Exojam inspires me, for sure..... :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
JohnFunn

Unread postby JohnFunn » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:00 am

No doubt about it Stanley!

JohnFunn

Unread postby JohnFunn » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:00 am

No doubt about it Stanley!

exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:29 am

Zap,

Thank you for that but not necessary.

I am just going out trying to have fun, overcome a fear (at this time) and enjoy what God has created while I am still around. I know life changes in a heartbeat so I try and find something every day no matter how small that makes me smile. If you wait for the big things in life to happen, life passes you by before you know it.

As for hunting, I wish I had a mentor but do not so with that I am off to see if I can find a deer!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”