Morning hunts.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RidgeReaper

Re: Morning hunts.

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:44 pm

Yea I see good am movement too...that's why I'm posting this thread. I have always been an all day sitter and its not doing much. I see good movement early and late but not always consistent. I will probly go in right at grey light or be setting up in grey light honestly but as far as using the thermals and such I just don't know how to hunt mornings as much as evenings...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:49 pm

Thanks bucky. The scenario I'm describing is an area on public that I've never been before. I have 500 acres of private that I've hunted twice so far and I want to ease off it a bit and try beast tactics on public for a while. I want to be aggressive enough to know things are working but don't want to blow the season. I'm dedicating my season to learning anyways but id still like to hammer a slob!!

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:51 pm

If your goal is any deer... I think your setup sounds good... depending on how far you are from a destination ag field.. that would dictate how early u should try to get in. I like to start treking in at grey light in the AM moving slowly when I get close to where I'm gonna hunt. I have walked right in on deer traveling back to bed/while they browse in the AM. Sometimes you get lucky and catch a mini chase which may alter your plans as to where you setup

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:59 pm

Bowhunt345... when the bucks get into Cruzn mode that is when hunting 830-9AM to 1ish in the hills is the hot time. If you are hunting hills early Nov if I could pick one time frame it would be 9-11AM for mini chases cruzn. The bucks wait till the does get bedded up 8-9AM... then they B line for doe bedding groups to check em often using the 1/3 hillside to scent on the way... hope that helps....

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:01 pm

Bucky wrote:Deer tend to walk the 1/3 down hillside when traveling from pt A to pt B. It gives them a scent and sight advantage to travel high on a ridge with a rising thermal. [glow=red]This time of year mid morning for a mature deer (4+) is an unlikely scenario IMO. The 1/3 hillside close to a bedding point in the evenings is a good bet (higher percentage chance to kill a mature buck).[/glow]A cold front around 22nd-25the I start to sit AMs. These are just my observations with 2 decades of bowhunting.

For mature deer... they start to cruz heavily around Nov 1,2,3 during daylight... those are the times I think your odds of shooting a 3+ yr old buck increase by setting up as you are describing. [glow=red]By hunting now (if private) u are shooting yourself in the foot IMO[/glow].

Agreed 110%. On the last point, I would also extend it to remote public...

It isn't a coincidence that Bucky and I are both working OT and not hunting these last couple weeks.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:11 pm

Bucky wrote:Bowhunt345... when the bucks get into Cruzn mode that is when hunting 830-9AM to 1ish in the hills is the hot time.[glow=red]If you are hunting hills early Nov if I could pick one time frame it would be 9-11AM for mini chases cruzn. The bucks wait till the does get bedded up 8-9AM... then they B line for doe bedding groups to check em often using the 1/3 hillside to scent on the way[/glow]... hope that helps....

That is one of the best things I've read on here in a while and something I didn't realize at all. Best time for us to see bucks cruising in the am is always from about 8:30 to 10:30. What you said make perfect sense. Those bucks wait for all the does to make it back to bedding and then cruise the downwind side to find them. If I were a buck, why go looking when they all all scattered. Save your time and energy and wait until they are all in close proximity. Kind of like when I was single here in Chicago. Why go to 10 different bars hoping to see 10 different good looking girls when I can go to one bar that I know has 10 good looking girls. :lol:
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:20 pm

Very similar situation is the bigwoods rut, lots of times its like flipping a switch and 9 but it might extend a little longer into the afternoon. That and of course you only see one deer a day if you are lucky.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:21 pm

And...you waited till later in the evening to improve your odds:)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”