BWCA Bear Hunting 2014 - The Plan...

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Re: BWCA Bear Hunting 2014 - The Plan...

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:15 am

I have some pretty good video that I'll upload in the next day or two highlighting the trips.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:23 am

sounds like time well spent 8-)
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:14 am

Sounds like a great trip, even without any kills. I'm sure you learned alot, and can put that to use on the next one.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:56 am

Love the pic of the stars. First time I was on a fly in outpost up in Canada and looked up in the sky late at night I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Felt like I was in a different galaxy. Millions of stars you just cannot see otherwise.

Sounds like you had a great adventure and that is the most important thing. 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
crappieangler

Unread postby crappieangler » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:34 pm

Glad you had a fun experience, sounds like you were able to take away some things for the next trip. Did you get to hunt any of the rice fields you were planning to visit?
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:49 am

crappieangler wrote:Did you get to hunt any of the rice fields you were planning to visit?

We were in a slightly different area, however there were more rice fields there too. The ones we saw last trip got hunted. We could hear multiple shotgun blasts in the distance. On Saturday, as I paddled over a mile upstream to my bear spot through tons of rice, I probably saw and kicked up 150ish mallards. Most of them would just fly around in big circles. I probably had 5 within 15 yards of the canoe. So Sunday we went to set up on the edge of the rice with decoys. It was CALM. By that I mean as our alarm went off in the tent at 5:40 I could hear mallards quacking in the rice 2/3 mile across the lake. We paddled and got right up next to the rice by shore to start placing decoys. You could hear that some of the ducks were quacking within maybe 75 yards. I slowly paddled, and my hunting buddy carefully took out the first decoy... Then he tossed it 20 feet off the side of the canoe. It make a huge slap as it hit the water, and you could immediately hear flocks and flocks of ducks taking off. By the time the last decoys were set, he was slowly hand placing them instead of tossing, but I would imagine over 100 ducks had already flown upriver in the dark. We only saw a couple in the daylight. Got one mallard hen. Later in the morning we pushed the rice and jump shot a few coots. I'm not sure why people scoff at eating those so much. I didn't think they tasted that bad. I think if you were to go in there with a plan and the right decoy set, you could do alright.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:08 pm

dan wrote:8-) Sounds like a great adventure... It ain't always about killin.
Couldn't agree more!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”