Was there a GPS that most guys favored for hunting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
bigwoodsmn

Re: Was there a GPS that most guys favored for hunting

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:41 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:I have the Garmin 62st and like it. My only complaint is the resolution on the screen kind of sucks compared to my Galaxy S4 phone when viewing topos and aerials. Once Garmin comes out with a[glow=red]high res large screen GPS[/glow] I will upgrade.........but it has to be bomb proof.

This is what I'm waiting for before I upgrade again. Larger high resolution screen with good battery life. It could be a while before I see both.

The Galaxy S5 is now waterproof to 3 meters and dust proof. I read the battery is pretty good.

The Garmin Monterra (Android OS also, but an older version):

waterproof/drop resistant device
screen is made for outdoors
Connectivity to Google Play store over WiFi.
Takes 3 AA batteries for a second power source
It also has a better GPS receiver than cell phones
Not cell enabled. Need pre-download topos and images before you hunt but then works offline which makes battery last a long time.
Comes loaded with some Garmin topo maps
Add your own Apps like MyTrails, BackCountry Navigator, Navionics etc.)
it has a decent 8MP camera that auto geotags the pics etc.

I don't have this device but thought I'd point it out because it's kind of unique.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:19 am

Might have to check the Monterra out. It would have to be a big improvement for me to upgrade, since mine works fine.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:34 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Might have to check the Monterra out. It would have to be a big improvement for me to upgrade, since mine works fine.

JM - I'd stick with what works especially if you can load maps into it.

I upgraded to Galaxy S5 a couple hours ago because I had an upgrade deal. I can't do a $650 Monterra right now. I don't want to learn new apps that aren't for Android OS either (the other Garmin models, etc.). S5 is supposedly waterproof and dust proof. You can swap batteries if you need to so I'll pick up an extra. I got kicked off the phone warranty program because I claimed 3 phones in a year - two for water. The S5 should do better. I'll still carry my old tough GPS - mark the truck, shut it off.

I exported my Caltopo maps as GPX files just now and loaded my points/tracks/lines into my GPS apps... BackCountry Navigator and MyTrails apps. Started downloading map tiles so the apps will have maps when I'm not on the cell network.

Now I just need a buck to whack.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:31 am

I got a montarra for work a few months ago and its pretty cool. Especially since it runs on an android operating system. Just like a smart phone without the phone part. It eats batteries though. so make sure you bring extra. I ran out the other night and it was no bueno. everything looks the same in the dark where I'm at. It has a rechargable but it also has the capability to run on 3 AA's. Another nice feature is that you can take a photo of your waypoint and when you get close the photo of the waypoint appears. But it has a ton of features. The wireless date transfer is pretty crazy. the WIFI is nice as well when you have access. I went as far to download music and all sorts of stuff on it. Its pricey but overall its a nice unit. It has way more stuff than what i need it for but so far so good. I don't own a smart phone so it has alot of other uses beside navigation if that appeals to you.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
HEADHUNTER

Unread postby HEADHUNTER » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:49 am

I have a Garmin Oregon 450 and it works well, has good battery life, gets strong signal, color touchscreen.

Upgrades to device I added are:

Garmin Birdseye which you can download sections of aerial photography as a layer you can turn on and off over the top of the topography map

OnXMaps/Hunting GPS Maps public land map & plat map chip for WI....would never own a GPS without having this, shows all State/Nat/Fed public land boundaries & MFLO, FCL also shows private land ownership names. These can be purchased for various states.

All Garmin GPS waypoints and trails can be uploaded to the free version of Google Earth so you can also use this for scouting
HEADHUNTER
"The thrill of the kill is in the chase"
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:55 am

HEADHUNTER wrote:I have a Garmin Oregon 450 and it works well, has good battery life, gets strong signal, color touchscreen.

Garmin Birdseye which you can download sections of aerial photography as a layer you can turn on and off over the top of the topography map

OnXMaps/Hunting GPS Maps public land map & plat map chip for WI....would never own a GPS without having this, shows all State/Nat/Fed public land boundaries & MFLO, FCL also shows private land ownership names. These can be purchased for various states.

All Garmin GPS waypoints and trails can be uploaded to the free version of Google Earth so you can also use this for scouting

I did the same exact upgrades with mine. Very nice GPS and they can be found at a very reasonable price now compared to when they were first released 3-4 years ago.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:05 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Might have to check the Monterra out. It would have to be a big improvement for me to upgrade, since mine works fine.

I upgraded to Galaxy S5 a couple hours ago because I had an upgrade deal. I can't do a $650 Monterra right now. I don't want to learn new apps that aren't for Android OS either (the other Garmin models, etc.). S5 is supposedly waterproof and dust proof. You can swap batteries if you need to so I'll pick up an extra. I got kicked off the phone warranty program because I claimed 3 phones in a year - two for water. The S5 should do better. I'll still carry my old tough GPS - mark the truck, shut it off.

I exported my Caltopo maps as GPX files just now and loaded my points/tracks/lines into my GPS apps... BackCountry Navigator and MyTrails apps. Started downloading map tiles so the apps will have maps when I'm not on the cell network.

Keep me posted on the battery life. I'm planning to upgrade from my Razr Maxx in October.

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:10 am

HEADHUNTER wrote:I have a Garmin Oregon 450 and it works well, has good battery life, gets strong signal, color touchscreen.

Now that sounds like a good option there

bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:05 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
bigwoodsmn wrote:

Keep me posted on the battery life. I'm planning to upgrade from my Razr Maxx in October.

I'll let you know. I upgraded from a Razr Maxx also. With the S5 I'll be buying a spare battery. They swap out. Somehow it's still considered waterproof to 3 meters even though the back can be removed. Also the S5 charges fully in about 35 minutes with a special A/C charger. It can also be charged with micro USB like the other phones but that takes longer... I hope this is a good one. All my other phones I felt like I was carrying an egg shell ready to break all the time.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:25 am

the garmin oregon 450 or 450t can't be beat for reliability in the field. Excellent battery life, waterproof, always locks on to satellites, accepts aerials and topos, and not expensive.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:13 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Keep me posted on the battery life. I'm planning to upgrade from my Razr Maxx in October.

The S5 is a fast device. Excellent camera. GPS works fine with Backcountry Nav and myTrails.

Chews up the battery quite a bit faster than the Razr Maxx but I haven't played with the power management settings much.

I see there are a lot of canned power management options to pick from. The most aggressive battery saver turns the screen grayscale and limits services to the most basic: phone/texting/Chrome browser... which extends the phone battery to last quite 4-5 days with only 50% charge, and yet you can still keep the phone turned on.

I'm thinking about buying one of these cases that are actually built in chargers. I had never heard of these charger cases before today: http://www.mophie.com/shop/battery-cases-samsung/juice-pack-galaxy-s-5

I already ordered a couple more batteries - together they were $25 and come with their own charger so you can charge them and charge your phone.
obrion

Unread postby obrion » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:40 pm

My Verizon phone had an upgrade available. I ended up going with the Galaxy S5 as well just because of the water resistance feature. Hopefully this will become my full time GPS.
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:29 pm

I was looking at that 64st and it seems nice other than the small screen and the 500 price.

wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:58 am

I am getting ready to pull the plug on my magellon trition and switch to garmin.

Cabelas has the etrex 30 on sale for 200.00 for the next 12 days.

So overall, for the ones with a garmin etrex 30
does it work well in wood canopies?
is it easy to add your own custom maps to it,
can you see your tracking points once you connect to a pc.
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:59 am

found this website for garmin etrex users it has some tips and tricks.

http://www.rambler-info.org.uk/gps/howto/index.htm

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”