Mule Deer Options

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bhuntin

Re: Mule Deer Options

Unread postby Bhuntin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:22 pm

I would look at Colorado or Wyoming for mule deer. You could still buy a preference point for WY yet this year if you needed it for the unit you want to hunt. The only thing about WY is that you can not hunt any wilderness areas without a guide. Utah has some great mule deer as well but the drive is longer and it usually takes a few points to draw the better units. Nevada is another state worth a look but again the drive is much longer. Montana has good Mule Deer but the tag is so dang much its hard to pass up CO and WY to go to MT.

The Dakotas are an option but I backed out of going last year due to low deer number according to local DOW. Liberal amount of tags and hard winters have really suppressed numbers out there for both mule deer and whitetail. If a guy is willing to put in the time though there are still some good ones out there. The up side to the Dakotas is that the tags are not as bad as CO or WY and the drive is not quite as long either.

Any way you go I think you will have a great time. Best of luck.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:51 pm

GRFox wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:Our group of 4 applied for North Dakota this year and we did not draw tags (drawing results came out last week.)

We are now looking at Idaho. My friend's dad looked into the tags for us so I'm not sure on the regs but this is what he sent me:

Costs for licenses:
Elk tag $416.75
Deer tag $301.75

Hunting license $154.75

Archery stamp $20.00

If you want both elk and deer cost is $893.25.
Elk only $591.50.
Deer only $476.50.

Your hunting license will also allow you to fish for 3 days. Idaho has excellent trout fishing.
Your deer tag is good for either 1 deer (muley or whitetail), or 1 black beer, or 1 mountain lion.

Our area is not noted for having any whitetail deer.

I will be calling a noon and hopefully getting our applications in today. I will put it all on my credit card and you guys can pay me back.

I have not heard word on if we got tags yet, haven't heard anything from yesterday

I'm confused. Is it $ 375 plus $154 to hunt deer in Idaho, or $476 plus $154?

To bowhunt deer in idaho.

154.75 - Hunting license
20.00 - Archery Permit
301.75 - Deer Tag (muley or whitetail)
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
frogtosser

Unread postby frogtosser » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:23 am

I am trying a bowhunt in Colorado this year, otc elk tag of either sex is $601 and that included a fishing license. A draw archery mule deer tag was around $374.
frogtosser

Unread postby frogtosser » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:49 am

I shot this in Colorado last week, the tag for the area I was in is a draw but its almost a guarantee draw for archery. I plan on going again next Sept with a couple other people in the same area. If your interested let me know, there are plenty of deer in the area and some bigger than mine.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:02 am

That is a beauty frogtosser!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”