Too late for beans?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

FRH
500 Club

Too late for beans?

Unread postby FRH » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:30 pm

I know it's a little late to be planting soybeans but it's been so wet lately this was the first chance i've had that i could get into this wet hole to work it up. I worked it a couple of weeks ago and we got dumped with over an inch of rain before i could do anything. I only got about half of what i wanted done but we shall see if anything comes up. I'm going to wait a couple weeks to see if the beans come through and then spray with roundup again and then plant some winter forage mixed in the spots that don't come through.

Bucky

Re: Too late for beans?

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:33 pm

That seed bed looks primo... too late for beans. Forage radishes now if it were me

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:13 pm

Yes, it is too late for beans.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:25 pm

Agreed too late. Also too small for beans imho. You'd likely lose the entire plot to browse with moderate deer densities. You'd definitely yield more tonage by growing brassicas instead.

186buck

Unread postby 186buck » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:10 am

Too late for beans maybe. I think it depends on what you want out of the beans. If the frost holds off you may be ok. If you want mature beans that the deer will eat then yes it's probably not going to make it. But if your are looking for a patch of beans that will stay green longer than the other beans around you will have that. I would hunt it early once the rest of the beans in the area are turning brown. It might be a gold mine for you. If the deer don't browse it down to nothing.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:13 am

Bass makes a good point... if you have any # of deer in the vicinity they will wipe a plot that size out in a hurry. I plant just under 2 acres and if it was any smaller beans would not work!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:59 am

I'm mostly looking for it to be green forage when the rest of the beans are turning brown. There is another bean field 60 yds up the hill. What type of brassicas would be good to mix in? I've had good look with winter peas in the past.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:17 am

Straight beans would be a gamble, if there is no frost and if the deer don't destroy them they can be awesome for early season. A blend with either brassica or grains would cover you if the beans don't make it

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:34 am

FRH wrote:I'm mostly looking for it to be green forage when the rest of the beans are turning brown. There is another bean field 60 yds up the hill. What type of brassicas would be good to mix in? I've had good look with winter peas in the past.

The small but late developing soybean plot only works when the small plot is BEYOND the destination plot/field, not between the destination plot/field and bedding. Even so, bigger is better.

As for brassicas, I'd go with daikon radishes and barkant turnips (optional if available). I'd avoid purple top turnips. Nitrogen fertilizer with help.

Last edited by BassBoysLLP on Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:36 am

I have had great luck with forage radishes and purple top turnips mixed...

http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/foodplots/
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:43 am

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:48 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Another plug for a different forum:

http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.p ... =brassicas

Lickcreek - is Paul Knox... same guy different websites :D
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:52 am

Paul is a true pioneer. He has helped 1000s over the years. Sad story.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:05 am

Bucky wrote:I have had great luck with forage radishes and purple top turnips mixed...

http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/foodplots/

This is how I would go. Beans are a little finicky. If you get little or no rain you will get nothing from the beans.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”