Mule Deer Options

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chris Conroy
500 Club

Mule Deer Options

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:30 am

Any help would be appreciated.

I am looking for a Mule Deer hunt for next year. I am open to states but will most likely drive from Wisconsin. I'd prefer bow but would definitely consider rifle for the first one just to get experience and see what I am up against. I can apply for points this year if needed. Thanks in advance for any advice.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

HoosierG5
500 Club

Re: Mule Deer Options

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:48 am

From Wisconsin, I'd be looking at Western SD. I'd start this summer and head out trying to talk a rancher into permission. A lot of land is tied up in outfitters out there, but it can't hurt to try.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:09 am

I would start by calling the dnr from every potential state and ask them the questions you need answered.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:22 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:I would start by calling the dnr from every potential state and ask them the questions you need answered.

x2

Especially the game biologists for areas you are considering. They will be a great source for local info on the deer herd if you have a particular part of the state in mind.
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:31 am

The northern states out west have had some hard winter the past couple years. New Mexico and Arizona have some cools mule deer archery hunts. Colorado is always a safe bet.
SofaKing

Unread postby SofaKing » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:19 pm

Did Wyoming gun season last year. Nothing like Wisconsin . Since there was snow in the mountains all the muley came down to the low land. Low land out there is like western Wisconsin minus the trees. Hilly yes. First shot at at a muley was 352yds. So unless your doing archery get there a day early and sight in.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Deer hunting isn't a season it's a way of Life
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:09 am

I was really considering Colorado for next year and applying for a preference point this year. I would be applying for myself and my 2 kids. After looking to fill everything out last night to make the April 1st deadline, I decided to wait and apply for a point in Wyoming. The total cost to apply for 3 points in CO was going to be $1,110! That was just deer. I realize that they refund you the difference in June, but to me that is ridiculous for a point. I wish I had $1,100 to tie up like that before the 1st of April. To apply in WY it will cost me $180 to apply for points for elk, deer, and antelope for all 3 of us. I don't need to apply until July either. I am thinking of a combination Muley/Antelope hunt with the kids for next year and then building points for an elk hunt in 2-3 years. Anyone else have any input? I am still looking into the Dakotas.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:16 am

Jay books hunts, he might know.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:20 am

Our group of 4 applied for North Dakota this year and we did not draw tags (drawing results came out last week.)

We are now looking at Idaho. My friend's dad looked into the tags for us so I'm not sure on the regs but this is what he sent me:

Costs for licenses:
Elk tag $416.75
Deer tag $301.75

Hunting license $154.75

Archery stamp $20.00

If you want both elk and deer cost is $893.25.
Elk only $591.50.
Deer only $476.50.

Your hunting license will also allow you to fish for 3 days. Idaho has excellent trout fishing.
Your deer tag is good for either 1 deer (muley or whitetail), or 1 black beer, or 1 mountain lion.

Our area is not noted for having any whitetail deer.

I will be calling a noon and hopefully getting our applications in today. I will put it all on my credit card and you guys can pay me back.

I have not heard word on if we got tags yet, haven't heard anything from yesterday
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:23 am

Forgot to say, the Idaho tags are over-the-counter, first come first served. Elk and deer both OTC so I was told. Yesterday morning there were 571 elk tags left and a 11,300 deer tags left over
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:44 pm

hunter_mike wrote:Our group of 4 applied for North Dakota this year and we did not draw tags (drawing results came out last week.)

We are now looking at Idaho. My friend's dad looked into the tags for us so I'm not sure on the regs but this is what he sent me:

Costs for licenses:
Elk tag $416.75
Deer tag $301.75

Hunting license $154.75

Archery stamp $20.00

If you want both elk and deer cost is $893.25.
Elk only $591.50.
Deer only $476.50.

Your hunting license will also allow you to fish for 3 days. Idaho has excellent trout fishing.
Your deer tag is good for either 1 deer (muley or whitetail), or 1 black beer, or 1 mountain lion.

Our area is not noted for having any whitetail deer.

I will be calling a noon and hopefully getting our applications in today. I will put it all on my credit card and you guys can pay me back.

I have not heard word on if we got tags yet, haven't heard anything from yesterday

I'm confused. Is it $ 375 plus $154 to hunt deer in Idaho, or $476 plus $154?
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:28 pm

I will have to get back to you on that. The guy in our group did the research on our costs

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:33 am

I would suggest Wyoming or South Dakota.

Lived in both areas and seen some monster mulies in Thunder Basin Grassland to the Bighorn mountains. I had a animal surveying job out there as well as plants. I was in the middle of nowhere most of the time and that's when I saw the big ones. Big pronghorn too.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:16 pm

hunter_mike wrote:Forgot to say, the Idaho tags are over-the-counter, first come first served. Elk and deer both OTC so I was told. Yesterday morning there were 571 elk tags left and a 11,300 deer tags left over

I did not know there was an OTC elk tag. Awesome...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:09 am

PalmettoKid wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:Forgot to say, the Idaho tags are over-the-counter, first come first served. Elk and deer both OTC so I was told. Yesterday morning there were 571 elk tags left and a 11,300 deer tags left over

I did not know there was an OTC elk tag. Awesome...

I haven't been to CO since the late 90s, but both times I bought OTC elk tags. There are limited draw units, but I still believe you can get OTC elk in many parts if not most of CO.

Chris, for Mule deer, the only state I have hunted them was in NE. I did the Muzzleloader season. You have to look at what parts of the state are open to Mule deer, I was in McCook (which has changed mule deer regs since 08), but I think there are still some areas in the far west and northwest that you can buy a tag on-line and go out in December for Mule Deer. The part I do remember if it hasn't changed is that you had to buy your tag on-line before you got there.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”