Starting to get excited!!

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SEmnBowHunter
Facebook: Collin Slogmaster Giles

Starting to get excited!!

Unread postby SEmnBowHunter » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:59 am

It's getting to be that time of year when all i can think about is getting to my familly farm and start preparing for the upcoming season. I've been hunting my family farm for 15 yrs. My dad owns the property with 3 brothers and an uncle who passed away last yr. We bought out his piece from his wife and now we can really manage the property the way we would like. He never followed the rules "laws" so it was hard to do so. Just curious if you guys could do 3 things to a farm what would the top 3 be. My top 3 for this upcoming off season are. Posting and marking the boundary lines with no trespassing signs. Plant various kinds of food plots, (corn, beans, turnips radish's.) The last one is a tough one i want to put in more water holes, but I think im going to focus on my entry and exit routes using creek beds and ravines. The 2 big ag fields on top are rented out by a farming that rotates between corn and beans. On the south property as you can see there is a creek that runs along the border of our property. The light blue spots, are spots that i want to plant in clover and the plot to the south will need to be cleared, and should be a great staging plot. The red areas, and plots that i want to plant with frigid forage big n beasty, and again the plot to the south will need to be cleared out. The dark blue spots are water holes that i would like to add to the property. Lastly the green and yellow spots are spots that i want to clear and plant into corn and bean food plots and leave them up year long. Currently there is crp in those areas. There are also numerous cedar trees in that general area that are roughly 5 ft tall and growing. Any advise, or things you guys would do differently would be greatly appreciated. Next winter i plan on doing some tsi work. Thanks for your thoughts!!

Last edited by DEERSLAYER on Sun May 04, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed images

Back in the Pines
Facebook: facebook.com/backinthepines

Re: Starting to get excited!!

Unread postby Back in the Pines » Sun May 04, 2014 2:25 pm

For a new piece of property I would clearly mark the boundary lines but I wouldn't consider this part of the land management. You will want to do this regardless.

Land management for me would consist of improving bedding/cover if needed via hinge cutting or planting various trees/shrubbery. Food plot insertion would be second on the list. Then, considering deer really just eat... and sleep... I would focus on scouting for buck bedding locations and possible entrance/exit routes. Raking paths, cutting out weeds etc. whatever it takes to make your entrance and exits silent.
Facebook.com/Backinthepines
Backinthepines.com
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon May 05, 2014 2:27 am

I agree with back in the pines that my main goal would be to enhance bedding areas... The more and better buck bedding areas you have, the more big bucks your property can hold and the more likely they stay on your property... Next the food plots and water holes. I think you the right idea, but you seem to be choosing the wrong positions in my opinion. The area you have marked the most food plots and water all together is not a good area to me.

Its bottom land and thermals and wind swirls will bust a lot of your hunts, and if the food is there just to keep deer on the property its going to draw them to an area where you will have a hard time killing them.

My food plot and water hole positions would be a lot more like the ones you have in the lower 1/2 of the big area... I would have plots and water at each of those lead ins to the bedding points. If you post a clean map I will mark it my way for you if your interested.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu May 08, 2014 10:43 am

I'm posing a question but not promoting for or against. Does taking away crp for something else help your overall situation? It could be a step back for certain areas.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu May 08, 2014 8:00 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:I'm posing a question but not promoting for or against. Does taking away crp for something else help your overall situation? It could be a step back for certain areas.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I would not remove the crp if it is tall enough to be used as bedding or if it is already a food source.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu May 08, 2014 8:32 pm

I have seen some farms get way better asfter CRP was removed and crops were added. But on other farms, that lack in cover, CRP has been helpful... The worst part about CRP is they make you cut it when it starts getting to be good deer cover. Andrae has a feield that is CRP and has a great [patch of cedars starting to grow into it and turned into a great bedding spot, but now they are making him cut down all the cedars.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu May 08, 2014 8:58 pm

dan wrote:I have seen some farms get way better asfter CRP was removed and crops were added. But on other farms, that lack in cover, CRP has been helpful... The worst part about CRP is they make you cut it when it starts getting to be good deer cover. Andrae has a feield that is CRP and has a great [patch of cedars starting to grow into it and turned into a great bedding spot, but now they are making him cut down all the cedars.

Same here. It just depends on the layout of the property.

That's a bummer on the cedars, but on the bright side, if he had continued to farm it instead of put it in the crp program he still wouldn't have the cedars and he wouldn't have gained any bedding.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”