how often do u return

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

how often do u return

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:49 pm

I found some beds today... i scouted a marsh in the snow n found 20 beds r so... a few looked like buck beds... my question is now i need more details... how often do u return to scout if u need more info?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: how often do u return

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:38 pm

oldrank wrote:I found some beds today... i scouted a marsh in the snow n found 20 beds r so... a few looked like buck beds... my question is now i need more details... how often do u return to scout if u need more info?

I try and get all the info and the set up in one trip... Everytime you enter you do "some" damage.
Get into the beds and looking from the beds point of view at how close you can get to hunt. Go there and set up trees and figure out an access plan. If there is multiple entrances, do it at each entrance and then just leave it be till hunting season.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:47 am

Ok... i think i took enough pics to put it all together... i did scout out my entrance n trees... what is bothering me is i didnt pay attention to the "j" hook... i need b more disciplined on gathering info not being in awe of what ive found....do any of you guy have a check list ofwhat you need to cover on a scouting trip ?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:16 am

oldrank wrote:Ok... i think i took enough pics to put it all together... i did scout out my entrance n trees... what is bothering me is i didnt pay attention to the "j" hook... i need b more disciplined on gathering info not being in awe of what ive found....do any of you guy have a check list ofwhat you need to cover on a scouting trip ?

I don't think your going to be able to scout much for j-hook entrances... They often vary and change every time a buck enters the bed, unless your talking hill country, then its somewhat consistent, but still changes a little based on the exact wind.

Consistency is better with bucks leaving beds in the evening, rather than coming back in the morning cause bucks are wary of the bedding area at arrival. They don't know if a predator is there waiting. So they play the wind and currents. In the evening they eel safe having been laying there all day and just head out the same way they usually do...
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:23 am

Ok... i have some really sweet bed pics... my internet is down at home... as soon as they fix ill post em.. might not b till weds they r saying... the 2 best buck beds have complete view of the human trail..

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:19 am

I'd go back until you are satisfied with your knowledge of the area, like dan said every time you are in there you are setting off alarm bells but now into the spring is the best time to get in there and have a look. Once June rolls around I stay out of the woods.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”