came from Florida, left with a kill

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

beddedbuck

came from Florida, left with a kill

Unread postby beddedbuck » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:39 am

Hi All,
I have been on this website for years, just mostly looking and reading. But since I cant hunt much, I live vicarioulsy through your hunts and stories.
About 6 years ago I had to move from Gods country Wisconsin to sunny Florida. I usually make the trek every fall to come up bowhunting with my dad and brother. I havent been up there the last 2 years so I made sure I made it this year. With only 4 days to hunt I was feeling the pressure. On the second day I was set up 1/2 way up a ridge between a field where there is a lot of night time feeding and a supper thick swamp and marsh area where most of the big bucks bed hoping to catch one heading back. At 6:30 in the morning I saw a smaller size buck making his way behind me, and since none of our party had been seeing much and I was leaving in 2 days I knew I would try to take the shot. As he got to 35 yeard, he started angling away so I decided it was now or never. Once he got into a clear lane in some berry brush I let the arrow fly. I knew right away the shot was low...... I grabbed my rangefinder and sure enough, he was at 42 yards and I thought he was at 35. He took off and ran about 60 yards and stood at the top of the ridge, all the sudden his tail went down and he bolted, I have seen that before and called it the death run. Well an hour later I got down and couldnt find my arrow or blood, then after following the trail he took, the blood trail started. the further I followed it the heavier it was flowing. I tracked that sucker onto the neighbors proprty and I was hoping I wasnt going to disturb any other hunters in the process. It was Nov. 7th and prime rut in our area. Well sure enough after about 250 yards and in the direction of the bllod trail, I see a guy coming down with his climber. So I walk up to him, and to my suprise the guy was super nice and asked if I shot one this morning. I told him yeah and that I had blood all the way. He sad the buck had come by him at 15 yard with an arrow hanging through his chest so he put in a follow up shot. The dang buck went another 75 yards and tipped over for him. We followed it up together and recovered the deer. This is when I felt extremely awkward, I said to him I have no idea how to do this, who's deer is it? To my suprise, this was the nicest neighbor anyone could ask for as he said he just finished it off for me and the deer was mine. AWESOME! The guys name was Shawn and if by chance you are on here, THANK YOU! The dude even helped me drag it about 100 yards! So we left it there at the bottom of a ridge and I went to get my brother to help drag the rest of the way. After gutting him I saw that I hit one lung and and the fellow hunter double lunged him. He would have died with my arrow, just would have been a little further down the trail. I am so grateful for him and his understanding and kindness.Futhermore to be able to come up there share time in the woods with family, go home with meat, a great story, and my faith in humanity a little more restored.... and even a decent set of antlers to show my kids.
I have no clue how to post pics but would gladly email to anyone else that can.

wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Re: came from Florida, left with a kill

Unread postby wibow » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:03 am

Very cool,good people and goodtimes! Congrats!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:47 am

Seems like most of the time I run into bowhunters and fishermen they are more often than not, really nice people. Congrats on the kill!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:02 am

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:04 am

Congrats! :dance:

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:08 am

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:09 am

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:11 am

Awesome story... I wish more hunters were as kind as "Shawn".
Congrats on the buck!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:52 am

Congrats! Very nice of Shawn to help you out. That guy is a true sportsman. :clap:
forgehunter
500 Club

Unread postby forgehunter » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:07 am

that is a great story and a good guy right there! congrats!
Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.
beddedbuck

Unread postby beddedbuck » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:20 am

thanks guys. at first I was a little disappointed that someone else put an arrow in him, almost felt like less of an accomplishment. Almost wasnt even going to share the story. Then I realized what a blessing it truly was. I fatally shot a deer, I was lucky to have a guy like Shawn willing to risk his hunt, his license (had I not showed up) and then to tell me not to worry about me hurting his hunt for the morning. And then to go even further as to congratulate me on a nice buck and to help me even drag it full of guts. I realize I have too much to be grateful for not to share this cool story with. I hope I can one day return the favor anyone else in need. Hope Shawn gets a big one out there.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:17 am

Congrats on the buck! Thanks for sharing that great story. It's nice to hear that there are still some true sportsman out there. I almost never hear that stuff anymore.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Dabowhunter

Unread postby Dabowhunter » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:34 am

Nice Buck and cool story. And that Shawn was a great sportsman. Now you will always have great memories of your kill and the Neighbor who helped you out.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:49 am

Wow, that doesn't happen all the time! Congrats to you, and for your harvest.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:18 am

congrats, now you can come back to Florida and kill another one. The pressure is off. Just do not expect it to be as big as the one you got in Wisconsin. The deer down here are smaller.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”