"The Grinder" An Iowa Public Land Buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jackson Marsh

"The Grinder" An Iowa Public Land Buck

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:03 pm

“The Grinder” An Iowa Public Land Buck

I drew an Iowa 2013 buck tag and focused my hunting on two separate approximately 2000 acre properties. I scouted these two properties over the past two summers to get a feel for access and deer movement. I had never hunted these two areas, and the plan was to hunt fresh stands every hunt, jumping between the two properties until I had a feel for buck movement and hunter pressure. This is not a story about knowing a property thoroughly; this is about grinding it out until you kill a buck.

I started my hunt on November 1st, and before noon I had seen a spike buck, a few does and a nice ten pointer which cut below the ravine funnel I was sitting in. November 2nd I hunted the same property, but two ridges to the east. After setting up I saw two flashlights bobbing up the hill, I promptly turned my light on and the other hunters turned around and hunted elsewhere. I ended up seeing three different two year old eight pointers, one of which worked a couple of licking branches and made two scrapes twenty yards in front of me, it was a cool encounter. Monday November 4th I had my first shot opportunity at a nice eight pointer, probably a mid 130’s buck. I decided to pass the shot. After he stopped in some brush I got my binoculars on him and regretted not shooting him, he was a nicer deer than I thought.

The rest of my hunts were incredibly slow, an occasional spike buck and a few does, no mature buck cruising at all. From November 1st through November 8th I did 7 all day sits. If I was going to go home without a buck it was not going to be because I wasn’t in the woods hunting.

November 8th I finally had a mostly south wind which is what I wanted for this stand. I accessed the stand from the top, through a ravine. When I got perpendicular to my stand I cut up the hill. I had three does come through at about 5 yards before shooting light. About 12:30 two does came in behind me silently and the lead doe caught me moving. They didn’t stomp or snort; they just turned around and left. I was really irritated with myself; I had allowed my mind to wander and was not in full predator mode. Had that been a big buck I would have blown my opportunity. This really focused me, over the next two hours the bow never left my hand and I never sat down. I did not want to get caught flatfooted again! Around 2:35 I noticed a buck cruising towards the northeast near the bottom of the hill. I gave him a grunt and he stopped, another grunt and he turned up the hill towards me. He stopped in my shooting lane, facing me, no shot. When he turned to leave I drew my bow. He was out of my shooting lane and I only had a small window to thread the arrow through, I bleated to stop him and pulled the release.

At the shot he mule-kicked and headed down hill and into the ravine, then silence. The shot felt and looked good, so I climbed down to look for my arrow. When I was tromping around I heard him run out of the ravine and up the other hillside. I watched him tumble down the hill and land with a crash in a large dead fall at the bottom of the ditch. Buck down!

I took a few pictures, gutted him and hauled my bow and stand back to the truck. It was going to be a chore getting him out of the ravine by myself. While I was walking back to the truck, I ran into two college students scouting for a hunt the next day. I asked them if they would like to make $50 cash each to help me drag a buck out. They said yes…….it was the best $100 dollars I ever spent. With three of us dragging we had him back to the truck in an hour.

Front View

Side View

View from the stand.

Buck’s view.

Rub on buck’s trail.

Where he died.

Aerial. Red = wind direction. Purple = my access route. Gray = buck travel route.

Topo.

I was not successful because of skill, or any great knowledge I possess. I just kept on grinding, day after day, until I killed a buck. Sometimes that’s what it takes.

Edcyclopedia

Re: "The Grinder" An Iowa Public Land Buck

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:05 pm

That's awesome JM - nice work!
Makes me want to start putting points in the bank!!! ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:08 pm

Way to go, JM!
Big congrats on a great buck.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:09 pm

Wow. Stud!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:11 pm

That's a great buck Neil!! Huge congrats!!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:21 pm

NICE

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:24 pm

That is a Slob buddy! Nice work!

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:29 pm

Congrats JM! Way to "grind" it out and kill. I always look forward to reading your post. Glad you were able to stick it out and remain positive. It le to your sucess. Keep it up man.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:30 pm

The "Grind" is what it takes JM. Good job
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:35 pm

That's a really awesome buck! Congratulations again, way to grind it out, you really earned this one.

Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:41 pm

Heck Yea!
Beautiful Iowa buck right there.
Way to get it done!

Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:53 pm

Great story and awesome buck!

Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:53 pm

Great story and awesome buck!

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:07 pm

Awesome buck, congrats!

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”