Hunting Private MFL land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brkissl82
500 Club

Hunting Private MFL land

Unread postby brkissl82 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:03 pm

Has anyone hunted privat mfl land with any success. A few years back i had a owner tell me i was tresspassing and the map clearly stated i was in the right. That one encounter kind of hindered me hunting that kind of land again. Anyone else have this problem or any success?

matt1336
500 Club

Re: Hunting Private MFL land

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:24 pm

That's not uncommon. It would be a good idea to bring a map with you that clearly states his land is in the mfl program. Just make sure it's OPEN mfl. He has to let you on. If he still gives you grief let your county forester know about it and that should solve any issues.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:40 am

Yep. It can be quite a headache.

The harassment was worth it a years ago when you had to do the research to find the properties. Not so much these days with online mapping applications.
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:25 am

We hunted an open parcel a couple years ago that was hands down the best hunting I have ever witnessed. Unfortunately, they moved the piece to MFL Closed two years ago but it certainly can be worth it. That particular parcel we stopped by and talked to the owner and although they were not thrilled with people hunting it, they knew the drill and even had a large map to confirm the boundaries and access. I have hunted a few others since but have found them to have more pressure than local public land.

Another thing I did, which is unneeded, was to call the landowner ahead of time to let them know that I was planning on bowhunting it. I had some that got huffy and told me that they like to cut wood, ride ATVs etc so I avoided them as they had a high chance of messing with my hunt. Others were quite cool with it and appreciated the call. Overall it can be a good experience but as stated earlier, it is not nearly what it used to be due to the ease of mapping programs now available.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:53 am

I hunt a 200 acre chunk of MFL and it is untouched by other hunters until gun season. I see deer in there every time, but I only hunt it when winds are out of the south.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Unread postby wibow » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:39 pm

It's worth the hassle,hunt quite a few 20-80acre chunks here in NW WI and have had some awesome encounters. Some are hardly pressured at all and a few you have to walk away from as time goes on people start noticing what your doing. I usually get dropped off or park away from where I'm hunting. Timing seems to be key and knowing what's going on in those tracts as some are way better late season vs. early and vice versa. Have had encounters that did involve police and DNR and that's expected. Goodluck man.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”