Questions for Dan or anyone.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Questions for Dan or anyone.

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:14 am

The narrow strip of land in this pic is across a road from a large chunk of DNR land that gets a lot of pressure. I have always thought this spot would be one of those great overlooked little chunks. Everyone else likes the other side of the road because it has everything, crops, cover, swamp, creeks, hardwoods etc.. But it also has the pressure and little visible buck sign, I walked it all today. Then I walked the small area, there was very impressive buck sign and most importantly no hunter sign. The red line is the southern border of the dnr/private land. The open are in the middle of the small strip is a mixture of willow clumps, pines and crp type grass. Just past the border is a swamp, there are some distinctive large rublines along the transition of the crp and trees before the swamp. There are also large rubs on most of the pines in the middle of the open grassy area. I want to hunt this on the north edge, the trouble is the trees in 10 yds from the large cornfield are too small for a stand. The trees on the edge are great but screened by the younger brush, and no cutting shooting lanes on DNR land. I put a blue dot where I found one tree that would work well as is. I found some buck beds in the west end near where the small strip of trees juts out into the grass field. The parking area I labled for the big area not where I plan on parking. My plan is to be dropped off and come in from the edge of the large field to the north. I know it's hard to tell from a pic but. Dan is this how you would hunt this? I had to really crop this pic down because there are some distinguishing landmarks near this land. I have already had problems with some people near where I live taking my turkey hunting spots when after seeing my truck there hunting. Thanks for the help, sorry about the looong description.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Questions for Dan or anyone.

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:25 am

I would say your likely to far north... I would be near that south land border expecting daytime buck bedding to be along the swamp transition edge. I would walk that edge looking for trails coming out, or beds and hunt as close as possible. I suspect most of the rubs your seeing up by the field are put there at night.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:53 am

Thanks Dan, that makes sense and when I seen the rubs was one of the first things I thought also. I am slowly working my way up to beast style. I'm still working on moving in tight to the bedding areas, I know it works when done right, no one can argue with your results. I'm just so used to staying out of bedding as to not bump deer, a by product of hunting small properties most of my life.
Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:43 am

You gotta go in there and find out what's going on that's the only real way to tell!!! I can see a couple deer trails already just by looking at the map, you need to know where the doe bedding is and where the buck beds are or you are going to have a long life of guess work!!! And you need to go out there and find the safest way for a transient buck to use your property, it's going to be the thickest area or maybe there is no huntable trees, you need to get a feel for how those bucks are staying slive out there!! You could also get away with hanging a stand in the little clearing of the thick stuff by the SE corner near the road, be like a 50 yard walk to the stand and perfect for a west wind!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”