Determining wind direction for a bed?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Timmy

Determining wind direction for a bed?

Unread postby Timmy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:44 am

Some of the beds that I have been finding while scouting are somewhat easy to determine which wind a buck would use that bed for. I found a bed yesterday that I'm really not sure which wind direction a buck would want to bed there with.
When I took the picture I was facing north. To the right of the picture is east. To the left is west

There are cattails all around the bed and the only "structure" by the bed is the tree so I'm not sure how to detemine the preferred wind. There are a few different trails coming out of the bed. One of the trails comes out of the bed to the south towards the thick stuff at the top of this picture.

There are several rubs in that thick stuff, including this one which is right where that trail runs into it.

I would post an aeriel photo, but its pretty blurry when I look it up on google maps. I looked it up on bing maps and can see it in good detail but couldnt figure out how to save pictures off of bing maps. Everyones opinions are greatly apprecieated

BigHunt

Re: Determining wind direction for a bed?

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:03 pm

good question .....i haven't got it down either?! :think: in hill country its a givin, but in the marsh its still hard to put that piece together
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:11 pm

Some beds in marshes are not wind specific. But, bucks almost always bed facing down wind. If there is heavy cover right up against the bed, and its somewhat open the other way, he is facing the opening with wind to back.
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:21 pm

So Dan, do you think the thick stuff that is just to the south in the second pic would be close enough to the bed to effect which way he lays and gets a wind from?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:23 pm

Timmy wrote:So Dan, do you think the thick stuff that is just to the south in the second pic would be close enough to the bed to effect which way he lays and gets a wind from?

Not positive where the bed is... If its where I think it is, he beds there on a west wind.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:26 pm

dan wrote:
Timmy wrote:So Dan, do you think the thick stuff that is just to the south in the second pic would be close enough to the bed to effect which way he lays and gets a wind from?

Not positive where the bed is... If its where I think it is, he beds there on a west wind.

Actually, any wind except East after blowing it up a little.
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:42 pm

The bed on the west sid eof the tree is kind of hard to see. I probly shoulve outlined that from the beginning. The otherone i thought was pretty obvious, but maybe its just because I knew that it was there.
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:45 pm

The bed next to the tree just has some cattails in front of it so its kind of hard to see
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:32 pm

Dan, you figured any wind except an east wind.. is that because the bed is closer to the cattails in the left of the picture? So he would want to lay in the bed with his back to those cattails and face the opening?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:32 pm

Timmy wrote:Dan, you figured any wind except an east wind.. is that because the bed is closer to the cattails in the left of the picture? So he would want to lay in the bed with his back to those cattails and face the opening?

Yes... But looking at the second bed you marked with back to tree it looks like he has East covered too... Any wind at that location.
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:03 pm

Ok that makes sense.. it seems so obvious after you point that out. Thanks

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”