Amazing scouting trip

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

blizzardhunter
500 Club

Amazing scouting trip

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:11 am

Went into an area today that I've been wanting to scout bad. I posted a map and Dan marked some potential bedding spots to help get me started. I came in on a long very gentle point. The bottoms are hay fields that then feed into the only crop fields in the area. Some small rubs towards the bottom of the point crossing it like the bucks were moving along the back side of the ridgeline. About half way up started seeing small rubs going both up and down the point as well as a heavy trail on each side of the point running the same way. The trails were amazing covered in fresh tracks and chewed up with use. I found a bed with a huge clump of hair that would be used for a south or southeast wind. Showed good use and had a scrape that was actually fairly fresh 20 yards above it. By the size of the bed I believe it is a youger buck. It was very small in size.

When I got to the top of the point it is like a huge knob. Maybe 120 yards long and 60 yards wide. The east edge is almost like a bluff and I found 10-12 beds in a 30 yard area. All had a little hair. I believe this is a doe bedding area and was torn up with fresh tracks/trails and poop everywhere.

I went over 2 points where Dan had marked a spot and found a lone buck bed. A couple of hairs and 3 scrapes up higher on the point. There is a trail about 30 yards down the point that was worn down from years of heavy use. So much that it cut into the point and was flat rather than sloped like the point. It led to the doe beding area about 80 yards away. This point was very subtle, with the cuts being very shallow. We found 4 finger tracks leading from the bed up the ridge. I believe the buck beds there and can check the does as they use the trail to access their bedding area.

Then I went to the other end of the knob where another spot was marked. I found 3 beds in about a 30 yard area. Rubs were everywhere, including a hickory 4-5 inches in diameter with a good one. There were 3 cedars about a quarter in size rubed and broke off. I believe I was standing in his bedroom. It was amazing. There were rubs coming to it and leaving it from 3 directions but believe I found the best route to hunt.

It was at this point I realized I was out of time and had to head back. I didnt make it very far but there was so much sign everywhere you had to slow down to process it all. I'm stoked about this spot and if all works out will be back up there Friday scouting some more. This is the most sign I have ever found up there especially on top of a ridge. I will post pics when I can. Right now photo bucket wont let me log in. I do have to say thanks to Dan, he really showed me where to look and helped me find this.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Amazing scouting trip

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:44 am

8-) You will find plenty more in that area.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:47 am

8-)
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:35 pm

I love these threads but get those pics up if you can.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:04 pm

I'm having a very similar scouting season so far this year even with all the snow....I've seen sign before but never had the knowledge or experience to turn that visual sign into useful information!

Get those pics up!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:17 pm

I posted again a few minutes ago but guess it didnt load up. One thing I found interesting is you would assume the buck would rise and head to the hay fields and filter to the crop fields like 90% of the deer do. But the majority of sign leaving his bed has him going thru a saddle and paralleling the fields about 600 yards in the woods. I believe with more scouting it will show he is doing this to scent check all the trails leading to the fields and instead of moving thru the open hay/weed fields to the crops he is staying on a ridgeline and in the cover until he can drop right down to the crops.

Deerslayer I will keep you updated, thinking we might put up a couple of trail cams this spring and leave them until we get in there to hunt next October. Back off the beds where several trails converge heading to the crops. Should be interesting. :pray:
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:46 pm

ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImage

Here are some pics from the scout. Should have some more Friday when I go back. :D
Last edited by DEERSLAYER on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed pics
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:51 pm

Image[img]http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s556/theharvestgroup/knob%20scout/P3230042_zps49696121[IMG]http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s556/theharvestgroup/knob%20scout/P3230043_zps49a3ce44.jpg[/img].jpg[/IMG]

These didnt post the first time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:29 am

8-)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”