Short scouting window this year..

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Short scouting window this year..

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:30 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:Stupid question from a kid who can count on one hand the amount of times he has seen snow...

Why does it become so difficult to scout after green up? Mainly talking about hillcountry, looking for beds on points, obviously.

I want to do an early season archery out of state hunt, but I don't think I can make it up to scout before green up... I have already mapped out best potential bedding according to topo. Would a scouting trip in late May really be that much less productive than say, April...???

Southern Ohio, if that matters...

You should still be able to scout after green up... It would be better in late may than now with snow... Before green up its easier to see. You can get the big picture much easier. But in hill country while focusing on points, the bed positions will be in the same place regardless of green up.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:40 am

dan wrote:
PalmettoKid wrote:Stupid question from a kid who can count on one hand the amount of times he has seen snow...

Why does it become so difficult to scout after green up? Mainly talking about hillcountry, looking for beds on points, obviously.

I want to do an early season archery out of state hunt, but I don't think I can make it up to scout before green up... I have already mapped out best potential bedding according to topo. Would a scouting trip in late May really be that much less productive than say, April...???

Southern Ohio, if that matters...

You should still be able to scout after green up... It would be better in late may than now with snow... Before green up its easier to see. You can get the big picture much easier. But in hill country while focusing on points, the bed positions will be in the same place regardless of green up.

Awesome, thanks.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
JJWI

Unread postby JJWI » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:56 am

dan wrote:
JJWI wrote:I have a Black Spruce/Conifer swamp that I want to really dive in to this year. I have mainly rifle hunted it with good success, but would like to have some spots scouted out for this year. Would you walk the transition lines and focus on the higher spots for buck bedding? It is a big swamp and narrowing down areas would help.

There are a few things to look for:
Remote hard transitions, where high grass/dogwood/or cattails meet.

Transitions with fingers...

Interior transition lines ( where two different years growth, or species of trees meet.

The highest spots. Sometimes topos will identify slight high spots. There are likely to be beds there.

if your looking at an ocean of spruce and see one or two trees of a different species... Look there.

I looked at the mytopo website and found the area I was looking for. The higher spots will be a darker green color that the rest of the swamp, correct? Reason for saying, an area that I suspected that is a bedding area is high lighted in green, along with the areas that I know are a little higher. Thanks for the input Dan!
Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:26 am

[/Quote]I looked at the mytopo website and found the area I was looking for. The higher spots will be a darker green color that the rest of the swamp, correct? Reason for saying, an area that I suspected that is a bedding area is high lighted in green, along with the areas that I know are a little higher. Thanks for the input Dan![/quote]

Contour lines will show elevation changes, look at the scale on your topo map but I think 20 ft per contour line is general. Or we're you looking at the imagery? Green spots in the marsh are usually trees or tag alders. If you are talking about the satellite view and not the topography map then the little green spots in the marsh usually do indicate a tree with higher ground and possible bedding.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JJWI

Unread postby JJWI » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:57 am

The green shade is on the topo, not the satellite image. The shaded areas are in the general area that I know are a slight higher elavation.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:13 am

green shaded areas mean there is timber in that position. The elevation lines are the only thing that dictates higher or lower elevations.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”