How close is to close?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dirt nap giver

How close is to close?

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:01 am

I went out for a walk yesterday and bumped 4 bucks bedded. I typically try to keep the cameras near the food. This parcel I hunt has no food within a 1/2 mile and I don't have permission to hunt any of the food sources, so setting the trail cam's near them isn't an option. In the marsh bucks video, Dan is setting a cam in a bottle neck some what close to where he is hunting. If our goal is to see if a slob is using the area, and we don't want to educate them, how should I set a camera to obtain the info I need to get on to him? The other option is to observe from a stand.
By the way this property has a quad trail that is tear dropped shape right in the middle. The neighbors have permission to use it as well. The bucks are bedded in the middle of the tear drop. Human activity is present almost weekly.
Need some different perspectives here, before I do something stupid. Any suggestions?

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
dreaming bucks

Re: How close is to close?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:23 am

I guess if it was me, and wanted to put a camera in there, I would just make sure it is well hidden, like maybe up high where the deer would be less likely to see it... and like others have said in the past, if you are going to check on your camera, check it in the middle of the day... my $ .02
Treejunkie

Unread postby Treejunkie » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:33 am

Seems to me that those bucks are probably use to ATV's and dont consider them a threat, but you walking out there, you are. They must assume it is safe to bed there because they were there.

Can you get back far enough to scout from a distance? Problem with using a camera is setting it up and checking it.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:59 am

Treejunkie wrote:Seems to me that those bucks are probably use to ATV's and dont consider them a threat, but you walking out there, you are. They must assume it is safe to bed there because they were there.

Can you get back far enough to scout from a distance? Problem with using a camera is setting it up and checking it.

No I can't observe from a distance. The only way is for me to use a ditch line to get within 50 yards and set up a stand. I don't want to set up a camera within the bedding area because of the scent factor. The ATV's are not out there very much anymore. Sounds like I am answering my own question.... observe from a stand is going to be the only "safe" way. Problem with that is the area I need to observe from get's some pretty heavy doe traffic......HMMMMMMMMM....
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:52 am

With the heavy doe traffic, maybe it would be better to hold off till the first week of November and hope one of those does pulls a buck past you???
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:35 am

November and a couple slobs.....I don't think they'll still be there. To unpredictable a time frame. Gotta get him early. Don't think he's still running the same grounds in November, in Michigan I doubt it. You guys have my brain smokin!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:46 am

I would either put the camera where they travel thru a funnel, on a food source ( don't have to be a plot or field, acorns or other feed work too )
Or not use the camera at all and just hunt based on scouting.

Seems to me that those bucks are probably use to ATV's and dont consider them a threat, but you walking out there, you are. They must assume it is safe to bed there because they were there.

Andrae uses an ATV to access his trail cams and has a set trail. The bucks are used to this and would be bothered a lot more if he walked the trail...
Just stay away from the hunting and bedding areas.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:23 pm

I was just thinking on the way home that I need to leave it alone. Obviously, I know they are bedded there. I wrote in my journal all the info for that time period. I will wait for a N/NW wind and get in there. There are 6 apple trees to the NE of the beds. Completely surrounded by thickets. I can stay back about 70-80 yards and watch the apples. History tells me that these deer are taking advantage of the cover surrounding the apples as a mid day snack> I bumped them once, don't want to do it again.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:50 am

dirt nap giver wrote:I was just thinking on the way home that I need to leave it alone. Obviously, I know they are bedded there. I wrote in my journal all the info for that time period. I will wait for a N/NW wind and get in there. There are 6 apple trees to the NE of the beds. Completely surrounded by thickets. I can stay back about 70-80 yards and watch the apples. History tells me that these deer are taking advantage of the cover surrounding the apples as a mid day snack> I bumped them once, don't want to do it again.

That's what I was thinking, you already saw them, you know where they are bedding, you have alot of good info on them. I think by trying to get a picture, you will be doing yourself more harm than good. Unless of course you didn't get a good enough look at them to determine if there is a shooter in the group. But I think I would just leave them alone untill kill time. 8-) Good luck with these guys.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:10 pm

I agree... Sounds like the best plan.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:24 pm

That's what I love about this site, I don't have to be alone in my thoughts. Some times I catch myself analyzing my analyzing. It always helps to get a different perspective.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”