Water hole ideas...

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Water hole ideas...

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:08 am

I was talking with Robert Langjahr at the Oconomowoc sports show. Robert is an aquatic biologist who makes and manages ponds and lakes for for fish and aquatic vegetation. He also puts in water holes for wildlife and for deer hunters. We got on the topic of exactly where they should be put, and surprisingly he was pretty well educated on that too...
Where he caught me by surprise though, was when he started discussing the specific aquatic plants he adds to water holes that are attractive to deer... An "under water food plot" :shock:
I guess "under water is probably not correct, some water plants grow on top, but seriously, I never thought about water plants in water holes, but it makes perfect sense... I went on his website www.aquaticbiologists.com but could not find anything specific about his water holes...

Has anybody else seen water plants put in to attract deer? I have certainly seen deer eating water plants on a few occasions...

Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Re: Water hole ideas...

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:11 am

Never crossed my mind - but something to think about thats for sure.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:51 am

In the summer when I am up north fishing I see deer standing in the water eating aquatic vegetation along the shorelines quite a bit. I will have to pay closer attention this year to what they are actually feeding on.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:04 pm

Aquatic plant life is a primary food source down here at the right time of year, but like Dewey said, I never paid much attention to what they were feeding on.

Would love more info on this....I could plant a secret food plot that no one but me knows about on public land, LOL!!!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:49 am

I was just chatting with Jeanie from the Aquatic Biologists website and she said she is going to be at the Oconomowoc show if anybody has any questions.. I should be there Sunday so you could see her and I that day...
After chatting with her I found this page on her site that talks about water and water plants for deer, as well as putting in water holes for anybody serious about it...

http://www.aquaticbiologists.com/about- ... life-ponds

Jeanie visits the Beast, I will ask her to chime in to this post...
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:00 am

Aquatic plants in general are incredibly nutritious. They are high in minerals, including many trace minerals. They are highly digestible and protein levels are very high. No regular food plot I know of can compare for protein. I knew protein levels get up around 60%, but I decided to give Robert a quick call to ask him to if he could send me some information on what he has pertaining to deer and I was surprised when he said aquatic plants can actually have protein levels as high as 80%!! :shock:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:25 pm

In the north woods I have seen deer in lakes and weedy rivers sticking there heads under to get weeds like a moose does. I would imagine just like a food plot, when the right stuff, is planted in the right soil in a water hole it could be a huge draw.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:27 pm

My main question for Jeanie or Robert would be "How big, and how deep, does a water hole have to be in order to add aquatic plants for deer?
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:52 pm

I know they will stand in the shallows in the summer time an work over some Lilly pad stems.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:56 am

At the show Saturday I talked quite a bit with Jeanie and Robert and when they showed me the pictures and discussed what they are seeing with some of there aquatic plants it was really eye opening...
The water hole needs to get sunlight in order for these aquatic plants to grow... Jeanie sells the plants and "tubers" that grow into plants almost like seeds. they need to be protected or screened just like apple trees at 1st... Water hole size does not seem to matter but small holes the deer may eat all the plants before they get a foot hold... Jeanie seems to have a real good grasp on solutions for this and other situations thru her experience working with these plants.
She had one customer who had deer eat all his plants in one night (he failed to screen them) So he got more plants and rowed a boat out to shallow water in the middle of his pond and planted there... In one night the deer swam out and ate the plants.
Any body with water holes that would work for this, I would highly recommend talking to Jeanie about puttin in some of the high attraction deer plants.
She also gave me a great education on pond liners, the stuff she is using is not getting punctured. and she has ways to get it to hold soil/rock...
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:31 am

Did she tallk about lime or fertilizer for ponds?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:39 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:Did she tallk about lime or fertilizer for ponds?

She is working at the Oconomowoc deer show today, but I am sure she will chime in when she gets settled after the show.
I did not talk with her about fertilizer, but she did mention minerals in and around water making the plants more desirable.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:44 pm

interesting
Jeanie

Unread postby Jeanie » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:08 am

Jeanie here with a few notes on water holes and Aquatic Food Plots™
Water and specific aquatic plants Aquatic Food Plots™ can be introduced almost anywhere to attract and hold deer, turkeys, waterfowl and other wildlife;
• Especially if no other water is nearby
• Even if other water is nearby, they will come for the minerals, plants, location, relationship to cover…
Here are a few items to consider:
• Changing or creating travel corridors
• Create several ponds at different locations
• Soil types, soil modeling, wildlife activity around test holes, minerals in soil
• Sources of water-we offer 13 ways to fill and maintain water levels
• Ponds don’t need to be big, but they can be
• Ponds don’t need to be deep, but they can be
Design and construction: primary purpose, size, depth, shape, cost
Lined vs unlined
o Lined ponds can be constructed anywhere, any elevation, any shape, any depth
o Lined ponds can cost less, elevation can be brought up to grade with less excavation
o Lined ponds can be created in natural ditches, gullies, ravines or draws
o Lined ponds can remain clearer and age slower than earthen ponds
o Trees, shrubs, plants do not affect water level fluctuations
o Nearby large willow and cottonwood trees can consume 1,000 gallons of water per day
o In earthen ponds, water can leak out through tree roots on pond edges or dykes
**** Liners don’t leak ****
• Cover around pond for security
• Sunlight for aquatic plant growth
• Trim tree canopy on the south side to allow sunlight on north side or other sides
Aquatic plant selection primarily based on water clarity, location, chemistry, depth, sunlight and pH
Aquatic Food Plots™ are sought after and consumed by deer, turkey, waterfowl and muskrats
Aquatic Food Plots™ can grow in muck, soil or between rocks
Plants or tubers are easy to plant
Newly planted tubers or plants may need to be protected with fencing or chicken wire for the first year until the roots become established
Once Aquatic Food Plots™ are established, they will spread
• Other native aquatic and shoreline plants can be added for natural habitat, filtering, nutrient uptake and shoreline stabilization
• Add stumps, logs and rocks for additional habitat and to create a natural look
When wildlife is in or near a pond, deer and other wildlife feel secure. Wildlife and deer concentrate their attention to the water and other wildlife and less on the hunter

We will be at the Madison Deer and Turkey Expo - Aquatic Biologists, Inc. booth 617 April 5, 6 & 7
We have a few hundred tubers for sale there (plants won't be ready until June or July)
Jeanie http://www.aquaticbiologists.com/about- ... life-ponds
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:20 am

Wow, thats a lot of info Jeanie... When can we start planting the tubers, and how many should we start with?

I would also note, that after talking with Jeanie and Bob a couple weeks ago, I am now sold on liners over bentanite. They sell liners and other pond/water hole products, and are a wealth of information.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”