How would you hunt it

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

365buckin

How would you hunt it

Unread postby 365buckin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:28 pm

I found a buck bed in the map. The situation is labeled on the map (forgive the crude map drawing skills, I used an outdated version of paint. What software do you guys use?). I want to see how you guys would hunt this situation. I found this bed while trapping a small stream in mid January. The bed was fresh in the snow when I found it and it was after season closed so I know he atleast made it through the season. The bed hasn't been revisited since I started trapping and stumbling thru every day....no surprise.

Details:
-at the edge of a point of timber and red brush/marsh grass, under a big cedar, 100 to 75 yards from the intersection of two creeks
-there is 2 nice sized rubs with in 5 yards from the bed, one straight east and straight west, there are few more rubs north of the bed along the creek, which confuses me because all seson hunting I never seen anything crossing the roadnear the parking area, nor did I see any deer in the field across where I park.
-I did find buck tracks on the NE corner of the south corn field

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first bed I found since I have been turned on to the hunting beast method and am super pumped to see how this works. I am absolutely addicted to this info and think this is by far the most advanced deer hunting site and methods I have ever seen. Thanks guys for your hard work and commitment to excellence.
copper/displayimage.php?pid=2225
copper/displayimage.php?pid=2224
Last edited by 365buckin on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Be in the woods as often as you can....and as long as you can!
365buckin

Re: How would you hunt it

Unread postby 365buckin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:32 pm

land_aerial.jpg
365buckin

Unread postby 365buckin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:38 pm

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:44 pm

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:49 am

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:59 am

I would really like to see some bigger pic's... My old eyes don't see that well anymore. If you want you can pm me coords and I will post a zoomed in pic with the coords blacked out of coarse.

-there is 2 nice sized rubs with in 5 yards from the bed, one straight east and straight west, there are few more rubs north of the bed along the creek, which confuses me because all seson hunting I never seen anything crossing the roadnear the parking area, nor did I see any deer in the field across where I park.

Are you shining the area? If not, I don't see any reason you would see the buck out in the fields or crossing the road... Bucks are very nocturnal by nature and its quite likely he is not leaving his little safe area in daylight. Thats the whole reason these tactics are effective, you get into that tight little area where he feels safe moving in daylight.
Go to the bed next chance you have. Look at the deers exit roughts from the bed. Kneel down in the bed and look down the trail the direction the buck is traveling. Look how far he can see. Think about what he can hear, think about what he can smell...
Pick out your tree(s) just out of that "sight, smell, hear" range...
A lot of my biggest bucks I watched rise from there bed an hour before dark but never get 100 yards in daylight...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:02 am

When you get a chance to scout, check out the spots I marked in red for beds, and walk the blue lines looking for beds or trails leading to beds.
365buckin

Unread postby 365buckin » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:28 am

I did walk this a couple weeks ago when the snow was knee deep. Did not see any beds at that time. Do think it is warm enough now to walk it again? The buds havent really started opening up yet here, but this weekend is going to be 70. Should I wait til green up kicks in a little better? I know they were there because I seen them this fall and there were scrapes there. Plus when I scouted it this winter, I found some new rubs.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:46 am

I would scout it now.
365buckin

Unread postby 365buckin » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:07 pm

MOBIGBUCKS, here is the pictures of the farmland. When you get back on Monday scribble em up all you want. Thanks again. Anyone else feel free to mark any suggestions you think.

365buckin

Unread postby 365buckin » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:35 pm

dan wrote:I would scout it now.

Will do Dan. Scouted today found a really old shed deep in the tamarack swamp. I'm guessing it is from last season or even older. If you look closely it is starting to turn green. What do you think?

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:42 pm

365buckin wrote:
dan wrote:I would scout it now.

Will do Dan. Scouted today found a really old shed deep in the tamarack swamp. I'm guessing it is from last season or even older. If you look closely it is starting to turn green. What do you think?

Looks to be a few years old... They last a long time in marshs and swamps.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:52 pm

The red dots are potential buck bedding, the blue dots are potential set ups.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:48 am

Where do you park and how many people have access to hunt the land? Active Farming? What crops?
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:14 am

The place looks awesome!! I'd definately try to get a tag if you can!

It looks like Dan pretty much has you covered on what to scout; I'd walk all of those spots he recommended first. The only other places I would go look at are the four spots I have marked. Number 1 is only applicable if its on your side of the fence. There is a small bend in that creek that could hold a buck bed; One of the best and biggest buck beds I found this year was in a similar looking spot.

Number 2 and 3 are just isolated fingers that might have a bed watching across that large field. These beds are always hit and miss and usually it depends on how thick the cover is in that finger. I've looked on aerials many times and could have sworn places like that would have beds and most of the time they don't. The cover is usually too sparse, too much activity, etc. It's worth a look though because every spot is a little different.

Number 4 is right on the boundary, but I would check up and down the fence and where it 90's. If the cover is thick it might hold a buck keeping tabs on your entry. Kind of a long shot but you never know.

I'lll also note that you can look at these maps all day, but getting on the ground will tell the real story. A lot of the farmland beds I find are in obscure looking spots that look like nothing on an aerial map. When you see it in person the spot almost screams big buck bedding. It's just something you learn to look for when you've found a lot of these beds.

Good luck and hope I helped you a little bit. Make sure you figure out how your going to hunt and kill a buck when you find the bed.

Keep us posted

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”