The final step in tracking - making the shot

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bigwoodsmn

Re: The final step in tracking - making the shot

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:58 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:I keep my sling in my CamelBak.
I like using 220 gr. in my .30-06 Browning Bar (Semi).
I have 4-clips ready to go...
Just got to get them leaking a little and you'll find them in snow!!!

Go to the 4:15 mark for some shooting excersies (the whole vid is actually pretty good...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rpnvndTPYc

Nice video. 4 clips,wow that's a lot of ammo. I carry 4 shells in the gun and 5 in my back pocket. I try to limit the weight I carry as much as poss.

No wonder I'm not wacking big deer I have too many clips --> I guess I need to shed 7-shots before next year ;)
Please don't torture those 5-shells - peew!

The Benoits carry a lot of ammo for signal shots. There's a story of Larry Benoit getting caught in a blizzard overnight and he and Shane fired back and forth, periodically, until daylight.

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:51 am

I agree, great thread.

I missed a running elk in WY in 2000, to then watch my cousin Louie stand up and empty his gun on the same running elk. When we got to it, it had 4 holes in it. He shot 4 times. I was pretty amazed and since then took shooting at running targets a little more seriously. I move around on the ground a lot while I hunt. Wouldn't say I track but I creep around thickets alot.

I have shot running deer before the elk miss and many more after. Target aquisition and instincts are key. You mentioned that you practice aquiring targets in the field such as birds, squirrels etc. I do that as well, and also I occassionally pick my guns up around the house, walk to the big slider downstairs and practice aquiring targets. I think handling, shouldering, and aquiring targets should be done more than once or twice a year. I blame it for getting better at hitting moving deer.

And I also wish I had an area to roll a tire around with a target on the inside for shooting.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:31 pm

Have to agree with SB, the line of current posts that Magic has been writing have added much insight.

Agree that instinctive shooting is a acquired skill, would say that bird hunting with a shotgun helps in target acquistion. Probably hunting with traditional equipment also. When practicing usually close my eyes when shouldering a gun, swing through, then open both eyes and check alignment and balance, seems to help visualize the shot. My father was the best instictive shooter that I've ever seen, he couldn't aim a gun or use a scope, he always told me I would ruin a gun when i put a scope on it. This certainly came from being a WWII veteran, and using a M1 carbine, guess that would add a dimension to things if your life depended on your ability to shoot.

Think there are many things between picking a track and making the shot, that can be added to tracking. Would think there are a few more posts that need to be added.....so you don't need to hold back on our account Magic. :think:
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:47 pm

Tadmdad wrote:
Think there are many things between picking a track and making the shot, that can be added to tracking. Would think there are a few more posts that need to be added.....so you don't need to hold back on our account Magic. :think:

If someone has questions just ask away. Here's what I will do. I'll start a post titled ask me a tracking question and I'll do my best to answer. Remember, I feel that I have much to learn yet so I might not have answers for some questions.
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:53 pm

Good thread. Really brings back some very useful shooting tips. Something I think, we sometimes stray off course from.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:04 am

I was lucky on the one I got. I caught him browsing, and he didn't see me. Makes it a little easier. 8-)
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:44 am

Spysar wrote:I was lucky on the one I got. I caught him browsing, and he didn't see me. Makes it a little easier. 8-)

Ain't it sweet when everything comes together just perfect! 8-)
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:21 am

Shotgunning has really helped me out ... got my rifles fitted just like my shotguns. I shoot skeet and wobble skeet from unmounted position whether competing or practicing ... which of course is great practice mounting the gun. I don't spend much time on sporties or duck-tower type games. Skeet is close and fast - just gotta keep the barrel moving - very little leading the targets like the other games. I like to shoot at as many grouse as I can even if they are lower % shots... my idea of lower % has changed a bit. It helps make point-and-shoot natural... or at least acquiring fast targets easier.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:50 am

I just traded my Rem 760 .300 savage with Williams peep for a Rem 7600 .270 with Holden see through scope rings and a 1.75-5x scope. I think it was a good trade (of course I had to kick in some $$). I prefer a peep over open sights, but I also like scopes for longer shots. Where I hunt it's thick (bottoms, beaver bogs, big woods) ... and then opens up (cutovers, rock outcrops, meadows)... 20 yard shots and 250 yards shots are both really common.

Anyone else have/like see through scope mounts?
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:32 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:I just traded my Rem 760 .300 savage with Williams peep for a Rem 7600 .270 with Holden see through scope rings and a 1.75-5x scope. I think it was a good trade (of course I had to kick in some $$). I prefer a peep over open sights, but I also like scopes for longer shots. Where I hunt it's thick (bottoms, beaver bogs, big woods) ... and then opens up (cutovers, rock outcrops, meadows)... 20 yard shots and 250 yards shots are both really common.

Anyone else have/like see through scope mounts?

I have them on my long barrel 30-06. I wouldn't have a scope without the see thru mounts. Some would argue but it works for me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”