Possible scouting blunder

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigRed

Possible scouting blunder

Unread postby BigRed » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:08 am

So i went out and did some glassing last night, despite the heat. It was pretty slow, but i did see a monster. This farm the state of Mn bought still has a few buildings on it. So i like to sit in the door ways of the barn and spot this huge bean field. Have done this for several years no issues, but last night had a big issue. It was about 6, and had been there a few minutes. It was hot and muggy so i thought it would be a while before there was any movement. A buddy called me and i was talkin to him, and i look over, and not 100 yards from the barn is this massive buck. He's trotting down the field edge between the swamp. This deer had 6 points on one side, very tall tines typical. Probably a 14 point, if its not a booner, its damn close, an absolute beast. Never seen this deer before, or even heard of it have no idea where it beds. The deer usually come off the swamp on the other end of the field, never had a deer anywhere near the barn where i spot from, so it took me by surprise. My question is did he bust me and what are my chances of catching up with him? And how would you go about trying to figure this guy out this late in the year besides just glassing?

muddy

Re: Possible scouting blunder

Unread postby muddy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:59 am

I don't think you have anything to worry about.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:59 am

The deer usually come off the swamp on the other end of the field, never had a deer anywhere near the barn where i spot from, so it took me by surprise.

You have to look at mature bucks like a separate animal from "deer". They generally are not hanging where all the other deer hang and seem to always be in the unsuspected spots.
I don't think you totally blew it... I doubt your the only one who wanders around near the old barn or buildings. I would try to figure out his bedding with a map, and by looking for suspected bedding areas where you think he came from. Scout them and follow sign up to the edge of suspected bedding the day you plan to hunt him. Set up and hunt. If he don't show, go to the next suspected bedding / staging area. Repeat.
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:58 am

Thanks Dan, yeah i started looking at a map, and am coming up with a plan. I just want to do this right, because i've never hunted a deer of this caliber before. I would have to assume he was bedded pretty close to that field somewhere because he showed up so early? Could it be he may have been bedded in the beans? They are defenitely tall enough to hide a bedded deer, but I just dont know if he would do that. It's gonna be fun trying to figure him out thats for sure.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:21 am

I doubt he was bedding all day in the beans.
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:53 pm

I got an update on this buck. Me and my dad went out glassing tonight, and my dad saw him again. He came out right at dark into the beans from the swamp, right where i watched him go into the swamp a few weeks ago when i thought i spooked him. The interesting thing is he is the only deer that comes out into this bean field, not sure why this is. The last time he was the only deer i saw there also. I was glassing another bean/ crp field tonight and saw 9 does. Anyway we got to talking on the way home, and it turns out we may have some history with this deer. 3 years ago, not far from here we saw twin 6 point yearling bucks, they had great genetics, with very tall tines for their age. Saw them several times scouting and throughout the year, but never saw them again. Well last gun season on the other size of the swamp we hunt a guy shot a 16 point 173."
This deer we are seeing is a 14 point 160-170 deer. Not totally sure if these are the same twins we saw back in the day, but kinda interesting after we got to thinking about it. Its gonna be exciting trying to get this guy, and only a couple more weeks to wait.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:16 am

Good luck BigRed, but don't hang your hat on those beans... He will likely change food sources within the next week or so as the beans turn yellow.
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:32 am

Thanks Dan, yeah we have learned our lesson in the past about pegging bucks in the beans in the summer. I think we have a pretty good idea of where he is bedding roughly judging where he has gone into and come out of the swamp. The only problem is its nasty thick and hard to get in quiet and you really need a south or southeast wind to hunt it, which is gonna be hard to come by here in SE MN during the season. Coming in from further south and the back door really isnt an option to swampy and you can sink nuts deep in muck any suggestions?

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”