Scouting with a friend

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Darin
500 Club

Scouting with a friend

Unread postby Darin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:45 am

How do you scout? Do you prefer to be alone and go at your own pace? Or, do you like to have a partner with you scouting side by side, splitting up, and covering more ground? And why..

I prefer to be alone in my own thought process and acknowledge sign slowly. I have scouted with friends and found myself chit chatting the whole time and not noticing as much - almost rushing thru the land. Ended up re-scouting after by myself and found tons I missed.

Edcyclopedia

Re: Scouting with a friend

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:02 am

If I had a choice I would head afield w/ a good buddy and take different blocks of land to compare notes when we met.

I don't really have any consistant buddies that want to scout the way I do, most of them are 20-25 years older and want me to do all the work...
So that leaves me to my own solitude which is great therapy anyways.
Although when my 6-year old comes out with me I have a ball cause he flips when he finds poop - seriously! :lol:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
tutone84

Unread postby tutone84 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:11 pm

I would rather scout alone, like you Darin, when I scout with my brother, we never get anything done, also, we don't really hunt together so he don't care much to scout my spots, if he finds a good area, he knows he can't hunt it so we scout our perspective spots alone and compare notes against each others areas....if that makes any sense.
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:30 pm

tutone84 wrote:I would rather scout alone, like you Darin, when I scout with my brother, we never get anything done, also, we don't really hunt together so he don't care much to scout my spots, if he finds a good area, he knows he can't hunt it so we scout our perspective spots alone and compare notes against each others areas....if that makes any sense.

Absolutely.
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:49 pm

I like to scout alone or with my son. He notices stuff sometimes that I somehow missed. He's really good at finding sheds. I do have a buddy on here that hunts the same Marsh as I do, I like bouncing ideas off him. Neither of us hunt each other's spots, even though we know the exact trees we setup in. I've met a few beasts out in the woods and we've compared notes. I prefer to know where people plan to hunt so I don't mess their spots up or waste my time hunting it when someone else is.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:56 pm

Darin wrote:How do you scout? Do you prefer to be alone and go at your own pace? Or, do you like to have a partner with you scouting side by side, splitting up, and covering more ground? And why..

I prefer to be alone in my own thought process and acknowledge sign slowly. I have scouted with friends and found myself chit chatting the whole time and not noticing as much - almost rushing thru the land. Ended up re-scouting after by myself and found tons I missed.

X2! I prefer to be alone. My brother always tries to convince me to hunt his spots he picked out while we scout together...I would rather take my time and process information as I go...

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:03 pm

It depends on the property...the hunt I will be doing etc.

For the most part, if it is a parcel I plan on hunting a particular buck, I HAVE to scout alone.
More than one reason, but besides the obvious one, I like to scout slow and put in some serious thought as to what I am doing. Scouting with others is fun, but not all scenarios are the same and some REQUIRES scouting alone.

When I am scouting a parcel to basically "deer" hunt...example a new piece of public that I will be hunting with a buddy, then I like to scout it together. Although to be honest its hard to scout with many of my buddys. I only have a couple guys I can honestly scout with. My B.I.L. and one other freind.
My BIL scouts like me. We often end up a long ways apart. We have to plan a meeting time and place.

The majority of the time, if I am "scouting" with others, it is post season, and I am scouting....they are shed hunting :)
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:45 pm

lonewolf! 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:26 pm

BigHunt wrote:lonewolf! 8-)

:lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:54 pm

I prefer to scout by myself. Seems like I pay much more attention to fine details with no distractions to interupt my thoughts. I seem to spend much more time in certain areas instead of just cruising through and missing everything.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:56 am

Amost alwasy by myself, might let a close friend or family member tag along but that is usually just for some light exploring, the bed scouting is done 100% alone.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:01 am

Unless youre looking to learn how another does it or help them with their ground; solo is way to golo ;)
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:32 am

Alone for me. I want to be able to process every thing with out thinking about what someone else is up to.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:50 am

Byself mainly. I don't really shed hunt very much anymore because I'm always processing sign and figuring properties out even if I can't hunt them. I love finding new farms for this very reason, It's like putting a puzzle together. Only time I take someone is if I'm hanging a couple of stands, much safer that way.

The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:27 am

I find it hard to find hunters that have the same concept as I do. If I scout and pick a stand site there is a very good chance at an an opportunity. I have set guys up and they don't pay attention on how I tell them to hunt the site. They are not successful for that reason. So I like to scout by myself with a plan in mind. I scouted an area last year for this year. Took a friend this year and set him up on what tree, what wind, what approach. He killed this buck (145+inch) 205lbs field dressed, first sit in that spot.

I have also tried to help guys on their properties and they want to do it their way. I won't waist my time helping someone do it their way unless they are better than me, then I'm all ears.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”