people catching on to your hunting spots

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucky

Re: people catching on to your hunting spots

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:17 am

Stan... if I wanted to... I would "find" your spots :ugeek:

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:17 am

Whitetail adrenaline acts like there car is broken down when scouting

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:24 am

Bucky wrote:Stan... if I wanted to... I would "find" your spots :ugeek:

I'll give you a hint it's by that one tree. ;)
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:25 am

:lol:

:shifty:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:32 am

I use misdirection, yep I got him on that chunk of land, however I lie and say I shot him up on the high ground or in some obvious spot most of the average joes like to hunt. It also helps to be the first one in the woods and the last one out, never run into other hunters that way.

For the most part I am the only guy hunting my spots that I know of, althought every now and then I run into a guy, you can tell we are both trying to feel each other out and not give out too much info. My spots still seem secure but you can tell they at least know what they are doing on some level.
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:35 am

Funny thing is I usually dont run into other hunters. They message me on facebook. I have no idea how they find me...I dont even know them! Lol. Some are people I went to school with though.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:36 am

We have this problem a lot where I hunt. It seems that people will never learn that it is not where you hunt, but how you hunt.

I try if I can to not pull a deer out til after dark. I park either at a different trail or a spot where several trails go in different directions(By trails I mean firebreaks). Getting dropped off works too.

I also ditched the big lifted diesel 4x4 and got a small grey 4wd SUV.

I bounce around a lot since mature bucks are few and far between, so I don't worry about it too much honestly.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:37 am

I do always remember though even if they know the ground Im hunting. I know they wont put the time and effort and troubles I put in and go through to get on deer. But I guess there are always those special people like us...

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:38 am

Czabs wrote:Funny thing is I usually dont run into other hunters. They message me on facebook. I have no idea how they find me...I dont even know them! Lol. Some are people I went to school with though.

Most just want to know (human curiosity I think)... most won't do the work required to hunt difficult to hunt spots.

I would not advertise to guys on this site though... :lol:
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:41 am

Hahaha yea "BEASTS" are special, unique, crazy species you dont want to advertise and mess with!

phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:46 am

I used to hunt private ground that anyone could access with a phone call. I took a decent buck with the bow, not even one for a shoulder mount in my opinion. That was all it took. One truck stopped by as I was dragging it out and chatted and that person told someone and that was it. Next thing I know, my stands are gone, and people were on cam hunting the parcel. Never got the culprit. Now, you can't find a 2.5 year old there because they are pounded. Been several years since I found mature buck sign there scouting.

Same thing happened turkey hunting this season behind my house. Told a family friend as a casual conversation went, and I knew better too, yet I made the mistake. Next thing I know, the neighbor of that friend is hunting there. Boy was I ticked...at myself mostly.

I wouldn't knowingly move in on someone if I knew they were hunting there. It's one thing to open a door and find out after the fact, but it is another thing to know and still move on them.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
south

Unread postby south » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:58 am

Loose lips sink ships...
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:10 am

bowhunter15 wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I used to put hunting stickers on my truck...I removed all of these to avoid advertising that I'm hunting.

I drive a silver grand prix when I go hunting. :D

I drive a pink cadilac ;)

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:47 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
bowhunter15 wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I used to put hunting stickers on my truck...I removed all of these to avoid advertising that I'm hunting.

I drive a silver grand prix when I go hunting. :D

I drive a pink cadilac ;)

Hey,

the Eberhardts swear by Mini-Vans :D
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:57 am

I am familiar with that situation. I have had hunting hurt in a couple of places due to people doing this. The most frustrating part about it is that I like hearing people's hunting stories and telling some of mine just cuz its fun and I have virtually stopped that due to how some people have used that information.

I have actually had the worst luck with this on private land, because the last thing I am going to do is go whine about some body bird dogging me to the landowner. I generally just find somewhere else to hunt, I figure if you resort to pulling stunts like that I am not too worried about you shooting all the big bucks. On public land I haven't found anyone of that type who isn't too lazy to go where my best spots are anyway.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”