people catching on to your hunting spots

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

people catching on to your hunting spots

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:43 am

The last month after I killed my buck ive gotten countless texts, messages on facebook, and a call. All saying I know where you shot him, I missed him earlier in the year, I have trail cam photos, I have video, I know your truck, and even a picture message of a buck shot telling me he was in my spot. First of all, they may know the general location but why and how could you tell someone they were in "your" spot. I find it funny but then It kinda geta on my nerves also. With filming everything it also makes it hard to post that video because if they knew the general location they could pinpoint my exact tree! It blows my mind how people are so bosey about where I shot my buck when they could be putting their efforts towards finding a honey hole od their own. I find no satisfaction in hunting other peoples spots. Definetly going to change up the way I announce my kill and stop sharing things I would normally share with others. I Will be changing a number of things but I cant give them away. Anyone else have similar issues. Im sure you have. And I could probably gurantee that Dan has. O guess if the spot is found and overhunted. There is nothing I can do but move on....

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bucky

Re: people catching on to your hunting spots

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:51 am

Czabs wrote:The last month after I killed my buck ive gotten countless texts, messages on facebook, and a call. All saying I know where you shot him, I missed him earlier in the year, I have trail cam photos, I have video, I know your truck, and even a picture message of a buck shot telling me he was in my spot. First of all, they may know the general location but why and how could you tell someone they were in "your" spot. I find it funny but then It kinda geta on my nerves also. With filming everything it also makes it hard to post that video because if they knew the general location they could pinpoint my exact tree! It blows my mind how people are so bosey about where I shot my buck when they could be putting their efforts towards finding a honey hole od their own. I find no satisfaction in hunting other peoples spots. Definetly going to change up the way I announce my kill and stop sharing things I would normally share with others. I Will be changing a number of things but I cant give them away. Anyone else have similar issues. Im sure you have. And I could probably gurantee that Dan has. O guess if the spot is found and overhunted. There is nothing I can do but move on....

Lesson learned... that is why I never stop looking for the next spot. Things change annually... good hunters adapt
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:04 am

Had the same problems a couple years back...I had a guy actually follow me around on different websites trying to gain info of where I was hunting. I asked Dan a couple years ago if I could change one of my Big Buck Contest submissions..I didn't realize what I had wrote until I re-read my story.

Like Bucky said....never stop looking for new spots because it's only a matter of time before someone tries to gain from your success.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:05 am

It's likely the Lazy and Unsuccessful Hunters that don't want to work for their achievments.
- UNFORTUNATELY You'll never get away from that!

These are probably also the great hunters that spend their times at paid outfitters thinking they were the ones hunting the animal - when actually they were just shooting them...! :think:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:07 am

I guess I haven't experienced that too much. I've hunted so many different areas in the past couple years that I don't really get to know anyone else that hunts there, unless they are already friends of mine. And I've gone through a couple different vehicles. I have posted pictures of a buck before at the parking lot of the land I shot him. Had people messaging me on lake-link saying they knew where the pic was taken, but most of them were either congratulatory (like "I can't believe there are bucks like that out there") or informative (like giving me all the recent history of all the big deer they knew of that were shot).

In your case, it sounds to me like the people that somehow feel like you may have shot "their" deer based on the fact that they saw it before won't change. I would think that if anything, video footage just proves that you were at your own spot when you shot it. However, like you pointed out, they could probably try to use that knowledge for their benefit and sneak in there if they want. I guess it comes down to what you want. If you enjoy being able to share pictures and videos of the deer you take with others, you shouldn't have to be scared out of doing so because of a few people. Like Bucky said, there's always more spots if yours start becoming overhunted.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:18 am

I shut down sharing trail cam pics first, then got tighter on harvest pics. Sad, really.......
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:24 am

Sounds like you learned a valuable lesson. When hunting public land I found out the hard way too after killing my best buck. Told a few people, who I thought I trusted, where I shot him and the following season the place was completely over run with hunters. It was completly ridiculous and I cannot understand the thought process where people want to move in on somebody that was sucessful thinking it helps their chances. Funny thing is the next season I killed another good buck in the same exact spot but had to do some trickery to avoid everyone! ;) I park way out of the way from where I actually hunt and rarely hunt the same spot twice in a season. Another thing I never do is NEVER post aerials and topos on any public forum including here........you never know who is watching! I post pictures in the Live From The Stand thread but make sure they are only from remote spots that the average person will never recognize. Also I really hate wearing blaze orange and have been avoiding my best spots while those seasons are going on.

It's a shame I have to be so paranoid but there are some real idiots out there. Most guys are pretty respectful but there is always that group that wants to take the easy way. If they put as much effort into finding their own spots instead of tracking you the could probably be pretty good hunters. :roll:
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:29 am

I absolutely love filming my hunts. Wont ever go without a camera. That will never change so thats something I will have to live with. Adaptation to your surroundings is the key to survival I guess! I think I learned that in science class once. Just adds another challenge to bowhunting I guess. I like challenges. I will take the sharing approach a little different in the future though lol.

Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:44 am

Dewey good stuff! I here ya. No topo and aerials for me either. I will def be doing something with the vehicle I drive...too recognizable.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:00 am

I used to put hunting stickers on my truck...I removed all of these to avoid advertising that I'm hunting.
Last edited by MOBIGBUCKS on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:09 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I used to put hunting stickers on my truck...I removed all of thise to avoid advertising that I'm hunting.

Great point! I don't put any stickers on my truck anymore either.

Another thing I forgot to add is that I never gut a deer at my kill site. I will move the deer to a far away spot closer to my truck before dressing them.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:17 am

Dewey wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I used to put hunting stickers on my truck...I removed all of thise to avoid advertising that I'm hunting.

Great point! I don't put any stickers on my truck anymore either.

Another thing I forgot to add is that I never gut a deer at my kill site. I will move the deer to a far away spot closer to my truck before dressing them.

Excellent point about field dressing Dewey!!

Something else we need to keep an eye out for is trimming trees in our shooting lanes. I cut saplings off right next to the ground and try to hide any evidence that I was ever there.
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:21 am

Good stuff guys.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:43 am

It's a jungle out there. I hunt a lot of different spots a lot of distances away. I'm not going to tell you exactly where I'm hunting until I'm dead so don't ask until I'm dead. ;)
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:52 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I used to put hunting stickers on my truck...I removed all of these to avoid advertising that I'm hunting.

I drive a silver grand prix when I go hunting. :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”