The final step in tracking - making the shot

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

magicman54494
500 Club

The final step in tracking - making the shot

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:02 am

First off I'll admit that I need to improve a lot at making shots on running deer. I have been fortunate to make most of my shots but shot placement still leaves a lot to be desired.
Moving targets is the norm and if you want to be successful you'll have to get good at it or you will be very heartbroken.
First I make sure my guns are sighted in and working properly. Most shots are between 40 - 100 yds. so I sight in for those ranges. I don't use a scope or peeps I just use iron sights but each person has to pick what works best for them.
I don't practice enough but when I can I like to shoot off hand and quickly. I wish I had a range where I could set up a moving target like a rolling tire.
I get most of my practice in the field without firing a shot. I often pull on a moving target like a flying bird or running red squirrel. The idea is to aquire the target quickly and stay with it. The more I do it the better I get. I don't need to shoot to get better.
Dump the sling! I stopped using a sling when I discovered that unless I trap it against the gun it swings back and forth pulling my barrel with it. A few more pluses are having the gun in a more ready position and not having to unsling it everytime I duck under something. Also, when a gun is slung on your shoulder the barrel is pointing upwards and gets snow and other junk in the barrel.
I like to compare shooting at moving targets with shooting a shotgun. A shotgun is point and shoot. If you are going to be quick enough you better shoot your gun the same way. This is where practicing aquiring targets over and over is important. If you have to take the time to make sure that your sights are lines up you will probably not get a shot. With enough practice (and the proper fitted gun) this will happen automatically.
Since most of my shots are very close I hold dead on. I never try to lead a deer at close distances.
Most of my shots are made in thick cover so I don't get to see the deer all the time. When this happens I just swing at the same speed as the deer is moving and wait for an opertunity.
Don't wait for that perfect shot. Trust your gun and squeeze when he's in your sights.
You must know your gun well enough that shooting it is instictive. If you have to think about where the safety is or how to reload you will lose your opertunity. I switch from pump rifle to muzzleloader so that can create problems as well. I must have told myself a 1000 times to make sure I pull the hammer back on that muzzleloader. When I shot my buck in Mich. I don't even remember doing it.
Be safe. Things happen fast and your adrenaline will be pumping but you must be sure of your target and your surroundings. If there is any doubt it's better to hold off then make a mistake. I don't like these camo ground blinds that I see all over. What good is blaze orange if your hidden in camo? If you hunt from a ground blind please mark it with blaze even if your local laws don't demand it.
So there is no misunderstanding, I'd like to add that rapid fire thru brush hoping to get lucky is not the type of shooting that I condone or do. I'd rather fire one good shot then 5 bad ones. Make sure you have aquired your target before pulling the trigger. I have had bucks run right past me and have not fired a shot because I just couldn't get on them.

If anyone has hints or ideas to become better at shooting moving targets please add your thoughts.

headgear
500 Club

Re: The final step in tracking - making the shot

Unread postby headgear » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:26 am

Good post magicman, thanks for the info. I don't have much practice shooting at moving deer, I do however have many years of duck/goose hunting under my belt and was a pretty decent shot back in the day. Hopefully I can use that experience to my advantage when I take up a track.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:37 am

I have a safari sling from Cabelas. My gun just hangs in front of me and at the ready. Both my hands are free. Plus it doesn't move or bounce around like those cheap rubber knockoffs. This way if I'm in the woods, I'm always hunting.. People who walk thru the woods with their rifle slung are not .

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:58 am

Public Land Beast wrote:I have a safari sling from Cabelas. My gun just hangs in front of me and at the ready. Both my hands are free. Plus it doesn't move or bounce around like those cheap rubber knockoffs. This way if I'm in the woods, I'm always hunting.. People who walk thru the woods with their rifle slung are not .

I'll have to check them out. I actually don't mind carrying my gun. I have sling attachments on all my guns and if I ever get around to ordering a jacket from grey wolf woolens I intend to have a special pocket made for storing a lightweight sling for those long walks back to my truck at the end of the day.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:27 am

I keep my sling in my CamelBak.
I like using 220 gr. in my .30-06 Browning Bar (Semi).
I have 4-clips ready to go...
Just got to get them leaking a little and you'll find them in snow!!!

Go to the 4:15 mark for some shooting excersies (the whole vid is actually pretty good...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rpnvndTPYc
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:49 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:I keep my sling in my CamelBak.

Go to the 4:15 mark for some shooting excersies (the whole vid is actually pretty good...)

Nice video. 4 clips,wow that's a lot of ammo. I carry 4 shells in the gun and 5 in my back pocket. I try to limit the weight I carry as much as poss.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:55 am

You write up this bit advice to make fun of me after I told you my "miss" story this morning? :lol: ;)
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:23 am

Pay attention, always anticipate a shooting opportunity to be currently unfolding. When they catch you off guard (they have a way of doing that don't they?) is when you start messing things up quickly.

I re-learned that again this year. :violin:
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:51 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:You write up this bit advice to make fun of me after I told you my "miss" story this morning? :lol: ;)

Was that you that called this morning? I was still asleep and could'nt remember who called. What did you miss?
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:10 am

magicman54494 wrote:
Public Land Beast wrote:I have a safari sling from Cabelas. My gun just hangs in front of me and at the ready. Both my hands are free. Plus it doesn't move or bounce around like those cheap rubber knockoffs. This way if I'm in the woods, I'm always hunting.. People who walk thru the woods with their rifle slung are not .

I'll have to check them out. I actually don't mind carrying my gun. I have sling attachments on all my guns and if I ever get around to ordering a jacket from grey wolf woolens I intend to have a special pocket made for storing a lightweight sling for those long walks back to my truck at the end of the day.

Nov 3, 2010 my regular sling broke, so I took it off. Nov 4, 2010 I shot the biggest buck of my life -- 20 yards running, one bound from being gone. I am 'usually' in ready position but am sure am glad I didn't have my gun on sling for that encounter. After 2011 season, I wanted some kind of sling again, and I bought a Cabela's Safari sling also. I still-hunted 7-8 days in early November this year, and after a couple days I put it on the gun... You can rest the gun off and on all day and stay in ready position. Some days I took the sling off completely and some days I used it. But it is definitely slick.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 am

magicman54494 wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:You write up this bit advice to make fun of me after I told you my "miss" story this morning? :lol: ;)

Was that you that called this morning? I was still asleep and could'nt remember who called. What did you miss?

Don't really know......was running really really fast. I think a 180" buck? :lol:
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:33 pm

I've been enjoying your latest series of posts, Todd- Great job, man!
BGHUNTER
Facebook: bgrangerhunter@live.com

Unread postby BGHUNTER » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:15 pm

I bought one of those this year and used it on my rifle and muzzleloader, works great.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:26 pm

Great thread.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:56 am

magicman54494 wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:I keep my sling in my CamelBak.

Nice video. 4 clips,wow that's a lot of ammo. I carry 4 shells in the gun and 5 in my back pocket. I try to limit the weight I carry as much as poss.

No wonder I'm not wacking big deer I have too many clips --> I guess I need to shed 7-shots before next year ;)
Please don't torture those 5-shells - peew!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”