Turkeys Spooking Question

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Turkeys Spooking Question

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:10 am

So to occupy my mornings on the weekends I have been turkey hunting so that I don’t mess w/ the few deer hunting spots I have left until the evenings. I know of about 30 birds roosting on some public. This past Saturday I had them just out of range so I setup my blind (hunting w/ bow) in a different spot Sunday morning. They were coming in and as the first bird rounded the corner of some thick stuff and saw the blind she ran off alert putting taking the other birds with her?!?! I have heard of birds spooking from a blind before, but I have practically had birds in my blind before. Nothing was flapping, I wasn’t moving, and I was wearing black. I am planning on hunting out of the blind again, I have the belief that turkeys are as dumb as they come and they don’t even know why they do the things they do sometimes… should I change my approach somehow??? Thanks for any input.

NatureBoy
500 Club

Re: Turkeys Spooking Question

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:05 am

Scout, scout, scout, hunt
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:15 am

they might be on to you...and might skirt around the blind just out of range..
but then again they are birds of habit, so i would hunt the blind again and if nothing, scout for them . if there's snow look for tracks. look for wing marks in the snow where they fly up or fly down from roosting...
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:28 pm

might need to give them time to get used to the blind... I would try hunting without a blind, back to a tree, if your jumping around a bit.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:43 pm

dan wrote:might need to give them time to get used to the blind... I would try hunting without a blind, back to a tree, if your jumping around a bit.

X2. They have probably seen quite a bit of pressure over the last few months with deer hunters.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:06 am

I wouldnt say turkeys are "dumb as they come", but thats just me.

If that were true, what would that make you? They are obvioulsy onto you. :lol:

I would say something moved, or they come through there enough to know that blind isnt supposed to be there.
You can't kill em on the couch
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:55 am

Hah, I hear you Brandon. I was joking with some buddies that a pea sized brained bird beat me two mornings in a row. I think I will try to locate them again friday evening... sneak in, in the morning and brush the blind in. this public area has a lot of tall grass and bushes so I will break up the blind with all the cover. thanks for the input guys.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:54 am

Just bust them off the roost, sit down and call.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:00 am

PalmettoKid wrote:Just bust them off the roost, sit down and call.

that works to......
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:20 am

PalmettoKid wrote:Just bust them off the roost, sit down and call.

The birds are roosting in trees surrounded by tall grass and landing in the tall grass. I am using my bow so I need a clear shot, might work if I was using a shotgun. I have never seen turkeys in this area before, but I think since it is so dry they feel comfortable in there. Depending on where they are roosting I have to wait until they move 300 yards or so. They make it to a ditch where they get a drink and that is where I am going to setup.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:27 pm

wiscbowhntr wrote:The birds are roosting in trees surrounded by tall grass and landing in the tall grass. I am using my bow so I need a clear shot, might work if I was using a shotgun. I have never seen turkeys in this area before, but I think since it is so dry they feel comfortable in there. Depending on where they are roosting I have to wait until they move 300 yards or so. They make it to a ditch where they get a drink and that is where I am going to setup.

i would get as close as possible to roost..... after flying down the chances of them walking by you is slim to none in the fall. they will go they way they want to go, you have to either get in front of them, or sit as close as possible to the roost wile they all gather in a flock coming off the roost then moving on to feed and do there daily pattern. ive killed many birds doing this in the fall and in the spring....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”