Rechargeable batteries for trailcams ????

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Rechargeable batteries for trailcams ????

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:48 am

Anyone have any knowledge of rechargeable batteries ? Specifically, Nimh vs Nicd ? wondering if one is better vs the other for trail cams ? I have 3 Moultrie cams, and they each take 6 D batteries.... Just thinking I might save on batteries in the long run if I go to the rechargeables....

backstraps

Re: Rechargeable batteries for trailcams ????

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi DB

Hey I dont build any cams that use D cell batteries, unless they are used for external power.

So I am not that up to date on D cell batteries. However when it comes to rechargables...I do
use AA, AAA, and 9 volts. I prefer a slow discharge rated battery.

I recommend and have used Sanyo Eneloop batteries. They are great and last for years recharging over and over again!

I do know you can get some D adapters. I have used these in the pass in cameras I built for friends.

I didnt search and find the cheapest place to purchase them, but I wanted to share a link showing what I am talking about. Here is an Amazon link to give you an idea of what I like to use. Little expensive upfront, but they will pay for themselves over and over again.

Good Luck on your search.

http://www.amazon.com/SANYO-Eneloop-Spa ... B0019J3TLS
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:14 am

Nimh are far better than nicad don't even bother with nicads. Get the highest mah rating "milliamp hours" that you can find. The higher the mah rating the longer they will last. get a good slow trickle charger and that will all so increase how long they last. in the long run it will save you money. I have some rechargables I have been using for over 5 years and they still work great.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:52 am

Badger wrote:Nimh are far better than nicad don't even bother with nicads. Get the highest mah rating "milliamp hours" that you can find. The higher the mah rating the longer they will last. get a good slow trickle charger and that will all so increase how long they last. in the long run it will save you money. I have some rechargables I have been using for over 5 years and they still work great.

Thanks badger, much appreciated!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:13 am

do a search here on the beast, there is a post that talks about this. there is a link also with good battery info. you can buy a sleave or wrap some AA batteries in construction paper or thin cardboard paper to make them the size of the D's as well. you'll save money that way. they put out almost the exact same voltage so you won't hurt your camera.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”