Last nights hunt.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kurt

Re: To he11 and back... Last nights hunt.

Unread postby kurt » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:47 am

i've misplaced myself a few times walking out. was going to start using that gps i bought 10 years ago just to mark parking and actually spots. but still only use a compass.

public spots come and go. it sucks if it was from a workshop. cause i don't want you to stop that i haven't made it to one yet.

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:13 pm

GPS!
and I hate those pin on compasses. :lol:
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:34 pm

dan wrote:Everyone that attended the workshops were great folks... I can't think of one person in the entire group that I would not be able to trust. Not quite sure how anyone could find that tree though... Maybe its one of the people who purchased the video. If they found it on there own, hats off to them, they must be great hunters.
Every year I gain a few spots, and every year I lose a few...

That's what I was thinking, or hoping at least. I don't think that anyone that was in the group I was a part of, would have had the stones to go and scoop a spot on you. Total bull if they did. That's a set they are hauling around if so. A phone call even feels like infringing on a unwritten rule but would be good form. Still kind of having a hard time believing someone would. Bowhunters typically, are a different mindset than the vast orange army. The tree doesn't shock me as much as the exact marks of a lone wolf stick. That's too many dots in a row connected. That's the kind of a coincidence that troubles me thinking it could be random.

BUT... Maybe.... it was a local that bought into the entire system, bought a lone wolf setup like most of us have done or are doing, and found it himself. Best case scenario. I guess if the other setups get pinged the same way you have your answer.

Who knows, maybe it's a newbie to the site or a lurker. If so they shouldl admit it was he who was there, and say they found it honest. In that case I woudl be impressed and congratulate him on picking the beast mode up. Good for him then, outstanding. If that was the case I would come to expect similar spot to be found then. That's good and bad for you Dan.

Cool story though Dan, sorry to hear the yotes got it. It wouldn't be a Beast story if you didn't find the hardest and most difficult way of going about it. LOL!!
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Kodiakman wrote:
dan wrote:Everyone that attended the workshops were great folks... I can't think of one person in the entire group that I would not be able to trust. Not quite sure how anyone could find that tree though... Maybe its one of the people who purchased the video. If they found it on there own, hats off to them, they must be great hunters.
Every year I gain a few spots, and every year I lose a few...

That's what I was thinking, or hoping at least. I don't think that anyone that was in the group I was a part of, would have had the stones to go and scoop a spot on you. Total bull if they did. That's a set they are hauling around if so. A phone call even feels like infringing on a unwritten rule but would be good form. Still kind of having a hard time believing someone would. Bowhunters typically, are a different mindset than the vast orange army. The tree doesn't shock me as much as the exact marks of a lone wolf stick. That's too many dots in a row connected. That's the kind of a coincidence that troubles me thinking it could be random.

BUT... Maybe.... it was a local that bought into the entire system, bought a lone wolf setup like most of us have done or are doing, and found it himself. Best case scenario. I guess if the other setups get pinged the same way you have your answer.

Who knows, maybe it's a newbie to the site or a lurker. If so they shouldl admit it was he who was there, and say they found it honest. In that case I woudl be impressed and congratulate him on picking the beast mode up. Good for him then, outstanding. If that was the case I would come to expect similar spot to be found then. That's good and bad for you Dan.

Cool story though Dan, sorry to hear the yotes got it. It wouldn't be a Beast story if you didn't find the hardest and most difficult way of going about it. LOL!!

The buck I killed last year was on a remote island with lots of trees. I had scouted it out the previous winter. When I climbed the tree for my first and only sit I found a utility hook in the tree..........so it can happen...........this island was a pain to get to also, needed hip boots.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:37 pm

Thanks for sharing! Pics are worth a thousand words!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:20 pm

Sounds like a tester...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:49 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
The buck I killed last year was on a remote island with lots of trees. I had scouted it out the previous winter. When I climbed the tree for my first and only sit I found a utility hook in the tree..........so it can happen...........this island was a pain to get to also, needed hip boots.

I did the same thing this past sunday, headed a mile out, the island was pretty difficult to find as the swamp was very thick and you couldn't see the trees until you were on top of them. Sure enough I get up in the tree and see some branches were pruned off, the cuts were very old but kind of funny to see someone else use the same tree within the last 5 or so years.
natvbearhntr
500 Club

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:50 am

That is a heck of a story. I have never went through that much adventure to get to a hunting stand. I can imagine harvesting a trophy after working like that is very rewarding. Sorry the yotes got your doe before you did but thanks for sharing what you go through on a hunt.
Stan Lamont

Unread postby Stan Lamont » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:30 am

Dan; First of all congrats on getting your equipment back ... the lowlife that hunted your spot probably would take your stuff too.Sorry you lost a nice doe to the coyotes. But after taking your seminar earlier this year I think somehow you might just find another shot out there yet this year. Hope its a Booner! And I hope whoever is low enuff to hunt a spot you showed them in trying to help them improve their skills...I hope they get just what they deserve --- an empty freezer and no shot at anything.And some splinters in their but.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:28 am

Was going thru old posts and saw this one... Just wanted to say that I did eventually find out who was hunting the same tree as me. It was a local guy who found it on his own legitimately. And yes... He has a copy of Marsh bucks.
Nocturnal
500 Club

Re: Last nights hunt.

Unread postby Nocturnal » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:29 am

The question now, would be. Is he still hunting it? Also, that is a bummer putting all that hard work in, to find sign of others. Than to shoot one and lose it to predators. That's how it goes sometimes though. I say it all the time too. You can't take the shot back. None the less, good read dan. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”