Last nights hunt.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MattyG

Re: To he11 and back... Last nights hunt.

Unread postby MattyG » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:28 pm

that stinks, i hope you find out who was in your spot, then you will know not to trust him again, and at least it was your quiver that broke and not your bow, that would have really really blown.

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:52 pm

Rough couple of days! I've had some stories similar to that! :snooty:
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:03 pm

As usual a great story Dan. Sorry if went down this way

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:06 pm

Our hunts both turned out about the same, similar hits, the deer were both found by coyotes, and we both regret letting the arrow go. I was only able to salvage half of the back straps, the rest was shot. Sorry to hear about your quiver, I have one you can have if you want it, its just gathering dust anyway.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:45 pm

It really makes you wonder when you find someone has been there when it is that far away and hard to get to. I have got to spots way back in climbed a tree and found a cut branch in the tree I am in. I have often thought, must of been Dan, not many other people would go through this much trouble for a deer. :lol:
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:48 pm

If that was that far island we walked to in the workshop, that would need to be someone local. That was a maze just driving there. Sorry to hear about your quiver and doe. That does suck that someone was there. That's where we found the shed.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:55 pm

Is this spot on public? Just asking because I didn't know anyone can own a spot if it was on public land.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:06 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:Is this spot on public? Just asking because I didn't know anyone can own a spot if it was on public land.

It is a public spot, but I am sure Dan was not implying that he owns it, its just for someone to go that far back in to that spot, they would have had to have been there before, like on a scouting workshop..... People can go anywhere they want on public and no one owns a spot, however I would say if anyone went to that spot it would be highly unethical, or at least i think so. I know I could never do that to a friend. Maybe he got followed out sometime, but I tend to think its from the scouting workshops.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:11 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:Is this spot on public? Just asking because I didn't know anyone can own a spot if it was on public land.

It is a public spot, but I am sure Dan was not implying that he owns it, its just for someone to go that far back in to that spot, they would have had to have been there before, like on a scouting workshop..... People can go anywhere they want on public and no one owns a spot, however I would say if anyone went to that spot it would be highly unethical, or at least i think so. I know I could never do that to a friend. Maybe he got followed out sometime, but I tend to think its from the scouting workshops.

Yep :snooty:

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:27 pm

Right on. Yeah, in that case, I would be a little suspicious. At least if it was a workshop member, they should have said something or respectfully asked if its ok to use that spot. They do not have to, but its still a matter of respect and integrity.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:06 pm

Wow, awful day, hope the spot wasn't used by someone you trusted. I have been "burned" several times for giving too much info. It is hard to believe someone else found that exact tree in such a "backswamp" place unless they were shown it first-hand. But by the sounds of things, you may be the only person ever going back there again!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:53 pm

Another great story as usual Dan, sorry it didn't turn out the way you wanted. How would you get a deer plus all your gear out on that kayak? I've got a kayak for duck hunting I sit with my feet out on top and can stuff a dozen decoys, my gun, extra clothes and a dry bag inside no problem. It would be an interesting journey out with a deer strapped on though I think. If I had a motor to get my boat through that mud I'd bug you more to find out where your finding woodies and mallards but not your deer!! Its a bummer someone would set up in your spot like that, I hope you figure out who it is!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:03 pm

A man don't own his wife either but someone else trying to infringe on her is just plain wrong very disrespectful.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:08 pm

At least you made it out Dan. I heard the other day in an area out where I hunt on state land some guys got trapped in a huge muck filled bay with their boat. They didn't know the water was so shallow and pretty much beached themselves in the middle of of a huge vast bay. You wouldn't dare to leave your boat and walk thru the muck with fear of disappearing! Good thing they had a cell phone and were able to call for help. The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service guys were able to come out rescue them with their air boat. No word if they were able to recover their boat or not!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:51 pm

I used to take guys to that spot when I guided too... But for the most part, I only guided nonresidents...
It could be coincidence... But it seems odd. There was another guy who found the island and was boating to it for a couple years, but he really camped out there, had a trail cam and an obvious set up. This time it was the same tree I have learned over the years to be in, not where the sign is...

As far as it being a "bad weekend" any time out there is better than sitting at home watching tv... Even when your lost, or should I say "misplaced"... If you never venture out, you will never have any good storys for your grandchildren. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”