conversions: how to recognize

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

conversions: how to recognize

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:33 am

If you were scouting out a new topo. You began by following the 1/3 from top elevation contour line. Then you eliminate the areas that are not on the leeward side.

Now you are looking at sections within the leeward sides. To narrow your scouting down even more...what type of topo conversions would you look for?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: conversions: how to recognize

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:40 am

I would look for bedding points... If during the rut, I would set up in between bedding ares where there is a draw / ravine condensing travel and making access easier. During this time of the year I would be trying to get close to the bedding and catch them in daylight as they exit.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:50 pm

Thanks Dan. I was looking at some maps for a shotgun hunt. This hunt will take place about 2-3 weeks after the RUT has taken place.

I am also glad you replied, reason being, in your Hill Country DVD you had mentioned "conversions coming together."

I was curious what type of conversions you would find most appealing? Draws coming together near bedding points....is that mainly what are referring too?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:25 am

I am not sure what I said in that video, I have not watched it since we made it, but I believe I was probably referring to ridges that break off into crows feet at the ends making multiple bedding areas, or areas that connect several ridges. During the rut, cruising bucks will run the ridges and when you have one that connects several and funnels deer to others it can be an increadable sit...
As far as gun hunting outside of the rut, if it were me, I would be very high, and close to bedding.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:06 pm

dan wrote:I would look for bedding points... If during the rut, I would set up in between bedding ares where there is a draw / ravine condensing travel and making access easier. During this time of the year I would be trying to get close to the bedding and catch them in daylight as they exit.

Dan...do you ever notice bucks not following the 2/3 elevatoin line when going from point to point during rut and actually go down the side of the point and up the next one? I ask this because I have some ravines that are not that steep or dont have a deep ditch and dont funnell the deer and wondering if they stay low?
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:16 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:
dan wrote:I would look for bedding points... If during the rut, I would set up in between bedding ares where there is a draw / ravine condensing travel and making access easier. During this time of the year I would be trying to get close to the bedding and catch them in daylight as they exit.

Dan...do you ever notice bucks not following the 2/3 elevatoin line when going from point to point during rut and actually go down the side of the point and up the next one? I ask this because I have some ravines that are not that steep or dont have a deep ditch and dont funnell the deer and wondering if they stay low?

Don't want to put words in Dan's mouth but yes they cross valleys and go point to point as well... at least I have seen this... they will also travel lower than 2/3rds elevation
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”