Don't want to burn my spot - any help is appreciated...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

Don't want to burn my spot - any help is appreciated...

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:49 am

Looking for additional help on this big woods area that is about 1.5 sq. mi.
It's for early season bow opener and would like some preffered wind choices and setup points.
Feel free to add locations that may be better in your eyes or really standout!
Thanks in advance for your time...!

The red is encounters with good bucks.
The blue is logging road access (no wheeled vehicles allowed, so a bit of walking).
Purple is a parking spot.
Green is the road.

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Don't want to burn my spot - any help is appreciated...

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:55 am

What are the blue squares?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:08 am

Pink marks beds... Black marks hunting spots
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:53 pm

dan wrote:What are the blue squares?

Other potential beds...

Thanks Dan, if you see a picture, you know you did good ;)
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:16 pm

The stand that Dan marked furthest North in that pinchpoint saddle could really produce in the rut, but its early season only? looks like a great spot to me. 8-)

Good luck!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:00 am

DAN --> I have a 10+ NW wind.

How would you approach under these circumstances?
Which two beds would you select?
redz

Unread postby redz » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:40 am

dan wrote:Image

Can you please explain this wind strategy? This is my first season, and this goes against my instinct (and what's been drilled into my head) about only accessing and hunting with the wind in your face, therefore I would have thought only a S or SE wind would have been preferable for that approach. Thanks.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Huntin, fishin, lovin everyday...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:09 am

Can you please explain this wind strategy? This is my first season, and this goes against my instinct (and what's been drilled into my head) about only accessing and hunting with the wind in your face, therefore I would have thought only a S or SE wind would have been preferable for that approach. Thanks.

The buck would likely not be bedded there on the South or S.East wind... Mature bucks prefer to bed on points with the wind blowing down the point and over the valley. They do this so they can smell you coming from above, and with the daytime thermals smell you coming below, they bed right in the thermal tunnel where the two air currents meet. So if you wait for a wind that is in your favor, the mature bucks will be bedding on a ridge where the wind is in his favor. We call this hunting a "just off wind." My strategy puts ed walking down the trail humans often take (deer are used to) until he gets inline with the wind and the draw and moves to the draw where his scent will hopefully blow down the draw. Often the best trails out of the bedding areas will narrow and cross at the head of the draw and its the closest you can get without your wind hitting the buck.
If you want to know more about it, we have a great DVD for sale in our store called "hill country"
redz

Unread postby redz » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:20 am

dan wrote:

The buck would likely not be bedded there on the South or S.East wind... Mature bucks prefer to bed on points with the wind blowing down the point and over the valley. They do this so they can smell you coming from above, and with the daytime thermals smell you coming below, they bed right in the thermal tunnel where the two air currents meet. So if you wait for a wind that is in your favor, the mature bucks will be bedding on a ridge where the wind is in his favor. We call this hunting a "just off wind." My strategy puts ed walking down the trail humans often take (deer are used to) until he gets inline with the wind and the draw and moves to the draw where his scent will hopefully blow down the draw. Often the best trails out of the bedding areas will narrow and cross at the head of the draw and its the closest you can get without your wind hitting the buck.
If you want to know more about it, we have a great DVD for sale in our store called "hill country"

Thanks Dan. Yeah, I recently got the dvd and have been watching it. I just have to rethink what I have learned so far and apply the new tactics. It makes sense that both the hunter and the prey are trying to get the upper hand regarding the wind. I guess the trick is to find that middle ground. I'm looking forward to applying this on my next hunt!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
redz

Unread postby redz » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:41 am

Here is a piece of public land that I've been working on. What do you think? Red = predicted beds, Blue = prevailing winds, Black X = possible stand locations, P = parking.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:27 am

redz wrote:Here is a piece of public land that I've been working on. What do you think? Red = predicted beds, Blue = prevailing winds, Black X = possible stand locations, P = parking.

The spots north of the train tracks look good, but south of the train tracks it looks like the thermals will carry your scent right up to the beds...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:24 am

dan wrote:Pink marks beds... Black marks hunting spots

Have WSW wind for Sunday hunt
Monday is SW

I think I got a plan and was looking for confirmation? Any help Dan will only build my confidence-thanks!!
My thoughts are working stands from the East side first as this has the most hunter pressure when Muzzleloader/Gun starts.
In other words burning those 1st ( if wind is good) b4 other hunters get in there...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:02 am

Sounds like a good plan to me... Out of the two spots in the S.E. I would hunt the one furthest North 1st, then if no action, the one further South... I think I would do the same with the ones more centrally located. Working North to south. Mainly due to burning bridges...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”