Looking for Advice from the Public land pros

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Troutking

Looking for Advice from the Public land pros

Unread postby Troutking » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:27 pm

I drove out to the public ground that I spend 95% of my hunting time on last night. Approximately 7,000 acres of public bowhunting only land. First time I have been out there since winter/early spring. The crops are heavy on corn and some beans this year. Always seems that deer bed in the corn heavy until it is cut, my thought is that some bucks will use this instead of their standard beds. Not sure if this is true so I am looking for some insight in terms of whether you agree that they will be in the corn heavy or if they will be elsewhere. Secondly, any recommendations on hunting the edges of the corn. Right now I am thinking about setting up with the wind in my favor slightly in my favor on the edges of the corn and seeing what type of activity is there. If I don't see anything on a few hunts, I will move deep into the woods as I try to do on most every hunt. I am rambling but the fields I usually stay away from because of the pressure of hunters, however with the standing corn, do you guys think it is worth hunting over. Any help is appreciated.

The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
Zap

Re: Looking for Advice from the Public land pros

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:09 pm

Bedding could be anywhere, but its most likley in a place that gives a buck an advantage.

Check the field edge for tracks in/out.
Thats as good a place to start as any, unless you want to look for a specific bed.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:37 pm

mature bucks will bed where there is not much pressure! Cornfields are great for does and small bucks but I would be back in the woods farther to catch him during daylight ;)Old rubs, beds and tracks could tip you off to his location! Is there any way you could glass the field edge during summer to maybe get a peek at him?
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:56 pm

Zap gives good advice. I would circle the corn field and note of tracks going in and out, looking for a slob track. Being creatures of habit, you may find he is entering in one area and then exiting the field in another and doing this repeatedly. Bucks with big racks use the small openings in the field for bedding and obviously the open rows for travel. They generally feel very safe in the corn since they rarely ever see people in the field.

In southwest Michigan, hunters flock to the woods and all the human activity in the woods tends to move some mature bucks into the corn for refuge. They will also select a high-weed field and may bed out in the high-weeds also, once again to avoid trees, woods and hunters. Most hunters are very patternable and the deer figure it out very quickly and look for areas void of human activity & scent - corn fields are a great location.

Using a windy day to stalk the corn can put a bedded big buck right in your lap for a shot. Sad story, but I hit a 160-class buck in standing corn at 26-yards. It was bedded and a real chip-shot.....long story short....I blew it! Good luck.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:05 am

Lots of good advice here. If it were me I would walk the corn field itself to look for any grassy areas within the corn. Circle the fields particularly the side adjacent to the beans. Look for big tracts going in and out. I would do this soon before the corn gets to high. As August and September approach, I would pay attention to the moon guide and use an observation site to see if you can spot him. Even if he isn't bedding in the corn, by observing the beans according to the moon guide will give you clues as to his travel route. Then you can cautiously observe him back to the bed.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:59 pm

Troutking wrote:my thought is that some bucks will use this instead of their standard beds. Not sure if this is true so I am looking for some insight in terms of whether you agree that they will be in the corn heavy or if they will be elsewhere.

Bucks will likely be bedded both in and out of the corn, rather than just one or the other. In southern Michigan that's all I hear about these days, "All the bucks are in the corn" and "until the corn's down there just isn't going to be a lot of buck movement" and "the corn's the only real cover these bucks have". :roll: So they sit in their stands on the edge of the corn and hope for the best- many with little chance of success using less than skilled tactics. If things aren't happening DO SOMETHING about it- stalk the buck or create forced movement, soft bump them to a waiting hunter, etc. Be sure that the buck REALLY isn't moving out of the field before dark before you do. Answer to yourself what tactic you should use based on seasonal timing as well, early season versus the rut periods for example. All that being said, I can assure you that "all of the bucks" are not in the corn bedded, and that it isn't the only cover in any area advantageous and decent enough to hold a mature buck. Give me a brake!
Troutking wrote:Secondly, any recommendations on hunting the edges of the corn.

I wouldn't set up a stand on the edge of the corn with a wind that is somewhat right- never set up a stand randomly. Always make sure there is a Great reason to put your stand there, play the wind and predetermine your approach and exit to have as little impact as possible. This goes for a hunting and/or observation stand.

Hope that helps a little.
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:07 pm

Thanks for all the insight guys. I appreciate the info and this is why I enjoy this site so much. I appreciate the help! :)
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:00 am

I would tend to think that he is bedding in both as well...maybe he has other preferred bedding sites on certain winds. where if the wind isn't right, he beds in the corn. I also like the idea of soft bumping/ or putting pressure on the cornfield. maybe he will get fed up and relocate to one of your scouted beds
When better is possible, good is never good enough
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:39 pm

In the areas I hunt that have a lot of crop fields I look for water. Deer do bed in the corn but they have to have water several times a day. If you can walk the corn field and look for a water hole in the field...if there is not one there...find one in a secluded local near the field and find the entrance/exit routes...I promise you..if there is a big buck bedding in that field..he will go to water every day more than once and will open the door to you killing him on his way there or on his way back to bed
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:30 pm

Always seems that deer bed in the corn heavy until it is cut, my thought is that some bucks will use this instead of their standard beds. Not sure if this is true so I am looking for some insight in terms of whether you agree that they will be in the corn heavy or if they will be elsewhere.

My experience has been very limited to seeing bucks bed in standing corn.
I have seen it, but not much, and when I do, its usually in a grassy / brushy draw within the corn. I have tracked several big bucks that bed in the corn when wounded, so it makes sense that extreme pressure might cause this.
But it also seems that they are loosing a lot of the advantage ingredients you need for a mature buck bed. They won't be able to see danger approach, they will have a hard time hearing danger approach, And there will be a vulnerable direction or directions that they won't be able to smell danger approach. "Mature" bucks just don't like to leave themselves open to danger. Whenever I find a mature bucks bed there is usually an obvious advantage based on the factors listed above.

Secondly, any recommendations on hunting the edges of the corn.
If it were me, I would set up near bedding.. If it turns out to be in the corn, then set up on the edge based on where he exits, otherwise move to where your scouting shows he is bedding.
martin peters

Unread postby martin peters » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:53 am

Basically what Dan ended with, the sign won't lie. Beds,rubs,and especially the easy to see big buck tracks around the crop edges. trust your scouting. m.p.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”