Do you enjoy scouting?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.

Do you enjoy scouting?

YES
97%
NO
3%

Total votes: 61
headgear
500 Club

Re: Do you enjoy scouting?

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:11 pm

I strait up love scouting, every bit as much as hunting. No it does not compare to taking or have a great encounter with a nice buck but it shure beats the pants off a slow day in the stand. My scouting basically is hunting, hunting for a killer spot to ambush a buck.

gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:19 pm

Think i started a thread about it back a year or so...but i like scouting more than hunting for the most part....
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:32 pm

I am at a point where I enjoy scouting, observing, watching, and learning more than I do killing and hunting. I enjoy becoming familiar with deer and watching them every night. I like to keep track of as many of the real big ones that I can, I try my best to see them as often as possible and to keep the pressure low on the herd. I have developed habits over the years that incorporate scouting more and more, to the point that I scout year-round. During shed season, I tell myself that shed hunting is my favorite form of scouting. During the summer, I tell myself that watching velvet grow is my favorite. I don't know which I enjoy most, but right now I'm really on a roll with watching velvet grow. I've been out with the spotting scope and camera just about every night and I've been lucky enough to get a couple decent pictures along the way. I've seen some great deer too, I think the very mild winter and early green-up are helping them pack on antler. The only negative I see is that some deer shed much later than usual this year and I am seeing deer that are behind on antler growth. We are coming up on a big heat spell and and dry spell so I'm praying for rain and cooler weather through the rest of the summer.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:05 pm

I love to scout!!!! I scout more than I hunt, especially early season. I love finding that early big buck sign. You can never have enough good spots to hunt. Like most though when I have the time to scout and don't have to worry about anything else, that's when I really make some headway!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:55 pm

I've always enjoyed scouting, even when I was 14 years old. In recent years, however, I feel I have gotten a lot better at it......there's always something new to learn out in the woods.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:02 am

I really enjoy scouting. This year has been tough due to my family's money situation. Everytime I drive off to scout it is like $20 of gas and that adds up. I know that sounds cheapo, but it is the cards I have been dealt right now. My scouting has been seriously effected.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:33 am

I really enjoy scouting, but always seem like I never have enough time. I am usually traveling to gymnastics meets on the weekends from Dec.-Mar., which is prime time to be out scouting. Everytime this year, I reflect on what I "wish" I could have scouted before green up. Although, this year I have been out scouting now, it's hot and the mosquitos suck, but with all the green up, I find the beds actually stick out, which makes them easy to find. Anyone else ever notice this? I do wonder how much damage, I am doing by wandering around bedding areas. Here in farm country the deer are usaully getting pesterd by something, at least occasionaly. I guess I'll see if it has any effect this fall.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:56 am

I scout less than anyone I know. I kind of incorporate scouting with other stuff. Mushroom hunting, squirrel hunting, turkey hunting, etc. I like to keep my eyes open and my boots out of the timber. I think I suffer from encroachment paranoia.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:13 am

I would think this is the wrong gathering place for someone if they don't like scouting... I think the fact that we like it, is why we are good at it, and therefore good at hunting. As some said, once you take scouting to the next level and understand what your looking at, it should be fun and exciting to scout. For me, some of my favorite memory's come from finding a huge buck and then going out and doing the scouting and killing that buck. There is a lot of satisfaction in knowing your work paid off. When you set up on a certain bucks assumed bedding area and watch that exact buck rise from his bed and come in for the shot, nothing beats that.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:29 am

This weekend will be the first time in a couple of months where I will be able to slip off and scout for at least half a day. I am excited to hit the woods! Going into a spot I should have scouted/hunted many years ago. A great mixture of out of the way public land that slopes from hill country into a swampy area....also it is a bow only place. I am really excited.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:43 pm

I enjoying it tramendously, finding something new is always exciting. I wish I could do it more though, I always preferr to be outdoors over watching tv or socializing with my wife's boaring friends...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:39 pm

bump
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:52 pm

I enjoy any time spent in the woods/fields/swamps......

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:35 pm

I can honestly say I enjoy scouting more! I enjoy the challenge of trying to figure a buck, or a new area. I think more than anything I enjoy "LEARNING" more than anything.

I love to turkey hunt. When I hunt with someone, its funny because the turkey often times turns into me wanting to "check this place out" or "check that place out real quick".... :lol: I always get told real fast, were turkey hunting not deer scouting!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:45 pm

I love the entire process. From scouting to hunting. The rewards and poor assumptions of scouting aren't realized until you prove it by hunting it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”