Cattail camo??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Cattail camo??

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:44 am

Anyone use any camo that REALLY blends into the cattails.Last few seasons I have been experimenting with sitting right in the cats. My problem is that I seem to get picked off. Now I do practice scent control,and pay close attention to wind direction.But I think maybe My camo is so dark compared to the color of the cats and the deers peripheral vision is too good that i might be sticking out like a turd in a punchbowl. I have heard them coming ...came to full draw...and as soon as they step into lane they look at me and bolt before vitals are in the open. I found some a great looking pattern called killer weed made for duck blinds. But nothing that is as light as the cats......any suggestions?

An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Cattail camo??

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:43 am

I don't have a suggestion on the camo, but I do on the set up...
Instead of setting up at 90 degrees to the deer trail, set up at an angle so the deer is quartering away when he enters the opening.

Also, are you clipping shooting lanes? If so, is the deer spooking when getting to the spot you cut? Could be a scent issue.
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:56 am

Not cutting shooting lanes....but am kinda making a "v".I also make 2 of them about 5 yards apart.First one for a visual and the second for shooting if it is a deer I want to shoot. I draw in between them. They only seen to spook at the second "v". Maybe they are noticing when I draw???But I do tend to make the shooting opening more pronounced than the second one.I am setting up 90 degrees to the trail. But I like your suggestion .I will give this a shot this year.
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:57 am

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:02 am

matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:05 am

waterfowl hunting camo. you can find cattail patterns- it works good in cornfields too.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:10 am

All good suggestions above.

One more little detail you might want to think about is whether your bow is standing out against the cattails. Especially if you have a dark camo on it. If your in close quarters every little detail counts.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:26 am

I haven't hunted in the cattails in several years, but when I did I found it helped a lot when I broke off the cattails as high as possible next to me (between myself & the deer) and then taper it down as it got closer to the deer until it was just below where I thought the bottom of the deer would be. It's kind of a pain to do this but it helped. I kept my V as narrow as possible and wore a long sleeve cattail camo t-shirt over my regular camo's. The further I could get away from the runway the better too. I found it very hard to draw without being heard when I was only 5-6 yards away while on the ground.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:21 pm

Asat would blend well in cattails: http://www.asatcamo.com/
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:04 pm

Advantage wetlands is pretty hard to beat. I would also recommend ASAT.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”