What's your take?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

What's your take?

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:16 am

Depending on your state or area of your state some places a person can get numerous anterless tags. Should a deer hunter quit shooting deer after they fill their needs and freezers or just keep shooting deer and giving them away?

NSOUTFITTER

Re: What's your take?

Unread postby NSOUTFITTER » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:27 am

Good question !!! I have a bit of mixed feelings on this one . I know for myself and our province we have the option to 2 tags 1 you can buy over the counter and one you have to draw for which is an antlerless tag for zone 2a. I myself for one am not after doe tags and do not even apply for one . But on the other hand some do and utilize them quite well for meat purposes , not a thing wrong with that and I encourage hunters to harvest does for meat and to control the buck to doe ratio and all that fine stuff . But when it comes to availability what can you do , if they are available hey some say why not . I say whats the purpose ,but thats just me . Now nothing wrong with sharing the wealth and getting a tag and giving the meat away but really how much can a person give away ? I think their has to be a limit somewhere !!! It all comes down to personal preferance I guess .
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:25 am

If someone can legally take 100 deer and make use of them, more power to 'em. Some places need that many deer taken, and a lot of people need the meat.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:59 am

Sneaky wrote:If someone can legally take 100 deer and make use of them, more power to 'em

I agree. What's it matter if you shoot or somebody else shoots them? As long as they are eaten I should add.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:07 am

Call me crazy, but I would be p***ed if my neighbor was shooting deer till he couldn't shoot anymore.. Especially when I don't see much for numbers when I'm out there hunting all fall.. If you have a great number of does out there, than ya, take some extra ones out.. What I have more of a problem with, is the guys that shoot 3 bucks a year and they are all 2 1/2 year olds.. If you are going to shoot 3 deer, please don't mow down all the bucks and future bucks...
NSOUTFITTER

Unread postby NSOUTFITTER » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:12 am

So many perspectives can go into the equation here . All good points though . IMO
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:27 am

I have no problem with shooting ang giving, as long as the herd can support it. n my area there is no limit and you can shoot all you want and people are knocking the population down to the point that its hard to find shooter bucks.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:49 am

I think a POLL should be created for this one... Set it up - let the silence speak for itself.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:10 am

We have unlimited tags, and I try to get a handle on the local population first. I like to get a doe in the freezer early, if I am seeing alot of them. I usually don't shoot more than 2 a year, just cause I can't use more than that. I think you should take as many as neseccary. And yes, I know this is where the problem lies, cause not everyone agrees on what is necessary. I am no biologist, but I just base it on how many I have been seeing all summer and into fall.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:45 am

I try to do my part as a game manager and take some does if needed, but if I think there are to few deer I will find somewhere else to fill my doe tags. Sometimes I will not shoot does even when I know some need to be taken if I believe enough will be taken by other hunters. I have no problem with giving the meat to others (especially those in need) so long as people don't get to crazy and ruin it for other hunters in the area.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:12 pm

I have no problem giving meat to people that will eat it, but like others have said it depends on the herd and what it can sustain. Most years "our" herd can handle 4-10 does being taken, and if that is the case I try to manage for that. But even with unlimited tags on years where the population seems to be down, I limit our take off the farm to 2-3 does. If the herd ever got low enough I would restrict taking does until the herd rebounded. Fortunately for us we have never had that issue and I have donated deer to people that had asked for it in the past and have no problem with it. Generally though my family goes through 3-5 deer every year so it is few and far between that there is a need to give venison away.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”